• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Permanent Waves 40th anniversary edition.

Started by Nick, February 12, 2020, 19:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Nick on June 04, 2020, 20:23:54 PMReally enjoying this on headphones. One question though, why did they always drop the "Hymn of triumph" guitar solo at the end of By-Tor? I've always really enjoyed that segment, not even sure it exists live.

The full By-Tor experience is on ATWAS.

Quote from: Jonners on June 04, 2020, 16:32:39 PMeh? does such a thing exist?
Yep, they exist alright....It would be a rip from the video (VHS) / Laserdisc

I think that the Laserdisc has an extra track or 2...don't quote me on that, though...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

is that the solo that comes after the really long drum roll bit?
The new songs are an abomination

I can't remember, to be honest...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Quote from: Jonners on June 05, 2020, 09:56:37 AMis that the solo that comes after the really long drum roll bit?
Yes
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

its definitely on the ATWAS version
The new songs are an abomination

My brains shot...they dropped it when they played By_Tor on the later tours, always my favourite bit.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Quote from: Nick on June 05, 2020, 18:34:38 PMMy brains shot...they dropped it when they played By_Tor on the later tours, always my favourite bit.

I believe the "Hymn Of Triumph" solo was last played live in Liverpool, 13th June 1977.

After that the quiet section of By-Tor was replaced with the intro to Xanadu.

Quote from: Thailand Express on June 05, 2020, 21:39:22 PMI believe the "Hymn Of Triumph" solo was last played live in Liverpool, 13th June 1977.

Bad decision IMO

Been reminded today it's 40 years since I attended the Glasgow Apollo gigs and was part of the Glaswegian chorus on Closer To The Heart  :o

Quote from: The Old Dog on June 10, 2020, 22:02:21 PMBeen reminded today it's 40 years since I attended the Glasgow Apollo gigs and was part of the Glaswegian chorus on Closer To The Heart  :o
You deserved a better mixing job  ;D

Quote from: DavidL on June 10, 2020, 22:24:19 PMYou deserved a better mixing job  ;D
Have the boots from both nights which although not great ( understatement ) give a better rendition than ESL but as the lp was from mulltiple sources a normalization would have been done to make them sound the same hence why it sounded muddy .Hopefully Broon would  be allowed to work on  at least a couple of the UK shows but that depends on ole if it won't turn a profit for them nothing will happen

Quote from: Thailand Express on June 05, 2020, 21:39:22 PMI believe the "Hymn Of Triumph" solo was last played live in Liverpool, 13th June 1977.

Fantastic nerd snippet, never knew that. So I was at the antepenultimate performance, two nights earlier.

Quote from: Slim on February 13, 2020, 14:05:40 PMInteresting, that is a shame. Which means that there's no pristine quality remaster of the studio work then presumably, and I probably won't be shelling out. I like the cover. I wish they'd put as much care into the Hemispheres reissue as they have into the artwork of this one.

So: I'd forgotten about this, until Pete Pardo mentioned it on his YouTube channel the other day for some reason. Ordered it from Amazon (£9.99) and it arrived today; the basic 2 CD version. So I did shell out, after all.

First impressions:

The 2015 remaster of the studio album doesn't actually sound better than the '90s remaster. I think it's a little quieter, not that that's a bad thing in itself - the process of making CDs louder can be to the detriment of the fidelity of the recording, of course. But here I don't find it any more revealing. In fact if anything, the '90s remaster sounds a bit crisper to me.

The live material is a bit mixed. I've only dipped into a few tunes. The London recording of Hemispheres sounds fine, and it's a spirited performance, nice to have. The Manchester recording of Beneath, Between & Behind sounds a bit like an audience recording, a bit muddy. Like ESL. Oddly, The Trees, also from Manchester and presumably the same night, sounds great.

Really nice version of Free Will (Freewill if you insist) from London.

The booklet is nothing special, barely worth having. I like the cover art.

Was it worth £9.99? Just about.