• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Permanent Waves 40th anniversary edition.

Started by Nick, February 12, 2020, 19:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Bisto on June 02, 2020, 22:09:59 PMAnother post of yours I find myself nodding in agreement with, although I'm a little curious
as to where 3 starts and finishes for you?
3 starts at Presto and Finishes at T4E (for me)

Presto was supposed to be the slimmed down, rockier, back to basics answer to the 80's synth stuff. But all they did was take out the synths and leave a massive gap filled with nothingness. 
And then T4E seems like a natural end, mainly due to personal circumstances and an enforced hiatus, but also because while I find it a dissapointing listen all round, it still sounded like Rush.

Then era 4 begins.........
The new songs are an abomination

Quote from: Jonners on June 03, 2020, 10:05:32 AMCA May well have been their best album for a while, but that doesnt mean to these ears its any good of course.

CA may well have been better than the previous two, but it wasn't great. Nowhere near a return to form. Don't think I've listened to it since the Cockwork Angles tour. I occasionally give VT a spin, purely because I still can't believe how bad it is.

QuoteI don't have any thoughts on Presto either way, its so bland and inoffensive it would be like me saying I hate digestive biscuits
Digestives* are fine when covered in chocolate. Plain chocolate. Presto sorely lacks a chocolate coating.

*McVities are nowhere near as good as they used to be.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Quote from: Jonners on June 03, 2020, 10:05:32 AMCA May well have been their best album for a while, but that doesnt mean to these ears its any good of course.
No use me dredging up my thoughts on VT and Snakes yet again, but my dislike for t4e, Counterparts and RTB is so strong that I literally cant listen to them now. At all.

I dont have any thoughts on Presto either way, its so bland and innofensive it would be like me saying I hate digestive biscuits
Now I don't dislike it, but Presto has always been my least favourite RUSH album. I do enjoy all of the 90s albums though, and in my opinion, these are the albums where Geddy's vocals are at there best.

Quote from: Jonners on June 02, 2020, 20:41:07 PMI am already sweating in anticipation of Signals 40 and GUP 40.

PW could send me over the edge!

Same here, really hoping what has gone before with these 40th releases is what we'll get with Signals  to Hold Your Fire.
I will happily go for the top package on all of them.
Glasgow 1988, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013
Prague 2004
Stockholm 2007
Dublin 2011
Newcastle 2011
Manchester 2013
Amsterdam 2013
Koln 2013
Berlin 2013
Vancouver 2015
Seattle 2015
Portland 2015

Listened to the live disc again there, nice and loud with the headphones on. 
Dodgy editing aside it's tremendous stuff, the playing is phenomenal and intense. They were blazing on that tour, and to have then come up with Moving Pictures within a few months, well, what a time to be a Rush fan it must've been.
Unfortunately I was a 10 year old obsessed with Madness around then, but I can appreciate it now :)

^^^ It's also apparent how much amazing material was left off of Exit Stage Left. Could've easily been a triple album!

Quote from: Thailand Express on June 04, 2020, 10:10:07 AM^^^ It's also apparent how much amazing material was left off of Exit Stage Left. Could've easily been a triple album!
Absolutely!

I could never fathom why songs like limelight got the heave ho.

But then again what would you leave off ESL? I know a few people arent fans of Jacobs Ladder. I cant remember, does it have a drum solo on?

Quote from: Jonners on June 04, 2020, 10:24:15 AMAbsolutely!

But then again what would you leave off ESL? I know a few people arent fans of Jacobs Ladder. I cant remember, does it have a drum solo on?
Bizarrely, the drum solo comes on side one during YYZ.

Quote from: Jonners on June 04, 2020, 10:24:15 AMAbsolutely!

I've always really liked JL....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Me too. Think I may have to have a little ESL session, all this love for it has to be for a reason....

Quote from: Jonners on June 04, 2020, 16:29:45 PMMe too. Think I may have to have a little ESL session, all this love for it has to be for a reason....
Don't play a version with the commentary!
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

eh? does such a thing exist?

Quote from: Jonners on June 04, 2020, 10:24:15 AMI could never fathom why songs like limelight got the heave ho.

RUSH are one of those bands who have the ability to make most of their live versions of songs sound very similar to the studio versions. Unfortunately, I think that Limelight has always been one of the songs that does sound a lot different live, and I don't think it would have made E...SL any better. If I could have had one more track on that album, it would have been Natural Science, and then that would have made up "The holy trinity" along with Xanadu and LVS.

I've decided my disc 3 of Exit Stage Left would have Cygnus X1 Books 1 and 2 from the Permanent Waves tour on one side, then Camera Eye and Natural Science on the other side.
Truly epic 8)

Really enjoying this on headphones. One question though, why did they always drop the "Hymn of triumph" guitar solo at the end of By-Tor? I've always really enjoyed that segment, not even sure it exists live.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.