• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

A long overdue listen and review of CA-track by track

Started by Jonners, June 17, 2021, 18:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Design For Life is the Manics song you may have had in mind?
The keys to happiness

Think So. That had loads of soaring strings and emotions.

Not a copy, just reminds me of it
The new songs are an abomination

Halo Effect is an interesting one, the chorus always makes me think of REO Speedwagon. It feels like a '70s US rock radio tune somehow, but I like it.

Headlong Flight

Now I did give this a good listen when it came out as the Single, but not heard it since. Seem to recall thinking Rush had gone all METAL!!!! at the time. Lets see if time is a healer or not. 7 minutes 20. Long song

Eerie sounds. Check.

Its a powerful start, love that bass intro then the guitar then the riff. Uplifting stuff

Like Alex's guitar tone . Its a pretty rocky fun number so far

"I wish that I could live it all again" just hurt the old ears though
Quite like the tempo change into the chorus, but the "live it all again " bit is horrible once, twice (edit many times) is just nasty

Whats with the strange voice bit before the big drum roll bit? Liking the bass breakdown before the solo, good to hear. Ged has such a great Bass tone. Nice Solo, just want more Alex, more!!!!

Think the track doesnt need that extra minute at the end/extra chorus "fire of the steel wheels " etc WOuld have been quite happy for it to finish at 6 minutes. the last minute just makes it all a bit much

Good enough track I guess, if I wanted Metal though I would go elsewhere for it to bands who do it better.

5/10. Better than I remembered

Quote from: Slim on June 18, 2021, 14:31:22 PMHalo Effect is an interesting one, the chorus always makes me think of REO Speedwagon. It feels like a '70s US rock radio tune somehow, but I like it.
Agree, has a vibe to it, I was thinking Toto, but I dont know that era too well, so maybe it was REO Speedwagon that I meant.

Just a nice song, and is my fave so far still

Quote from: Slim on June 18, 2021, 14:31:22 PMHalo Effect is an interesting one, the chorus always makes me think of REO Speedwagon. It feels like a '70s US rock radio tune somehow, but I like it.
I've always thought the chorus on Halo Effect could have been pre-chorus before a really huge arena rock chorus, but then it probably wouldn't be the "Rush" we know.
The keys to happiness

well, there are 2-3 minutes missing from the song by my reckoning, so there was potential for something huge

BU2B2

Not quite sure what the point of that was

0/10

Wish Them Well

At the time this was my favourite track. Still like it, vocals a bit patchy but not bad, think its up beat, lively

Really like the section "thank you stars your not that way" with the drums and jingle jangle guitars

Just a nice song, not really a lot to say. I get the impression its not loved on here as much as others, but life would be dull if we all loved the same songs

6/10. Only negatives, Ged straining a bit with the higher stuff (Wiiiiish them weeeeeeel)

The Garden

Nice song. Hated it live when I heard it, but on here it's nice enough. 

Lovely strings, get struggles a little, but the words are more friendly to him than many tracks. 

Like the solo, restrained and emotional, and I likenthe eat the track finishes. 

Good song.

The cynic in me thinks they knew their would be their last recorded song, so wanted something that stirred the emotions. In that respect, job done. 

So, all in all, its not in my top 8 rush albums, but it's not bottom 3 either.

Think it's a worthy entry into their catalogue.

POSITIVES: Some lovely strings, decent tunes. It rocks at times, lot of energy and all in all sounds like Rush

NEGATIVES:Vocals are poor, lyrics and phrasing are a mare, bit too heavy at times and samey.

Glad I took the time to review. Not sure I can  ring myself to do Snakes, it's shit and I don't need to reaffirm that fact.

Quote from: Jonners on June 20, 2021, 20:18:36 PMGlad I took the time to review. Not sure I can  ring myself to do Snakes, it's shit and I don't need to reaffirm that fact.
I had the 'The Day I Was There' book for my birthday, and I was reading one guys contribution in there where he said he thought that Snakes And Arrows was their best album since Moving Pictures.

Nice reviews, Jonners, cheers. :)
The keys to happiness

Quote from: Jonners on June 20, 2021, 20:18:36 PMThe Garden

Nice song. Hated it live when I heard it, but on here it's nice enough.

Lovely strings, get struggles a little, but the words are more friendly to him than many tracks.

Like the solo, restrained and emotional, and I likenthe eat the track finishes.

Good song.

The cynic in me thinks they knew their would be their last recorded song, so wanted something that stirred the emotions. In that respect, job done.

So, all in all, its not in my top 8 rush albums, but it's not bottom 3 either.

Think it's a worthy entry into their catalogue.

POSITIVES: Some lovely strings, decent tunes. It rocks at times, lot of energy and all in all sounds like Rush

NEGATIVES:Vocals are poor, lyrics and phrasing are a mare, bit too heavy at times and samey.

Glad I took the time to review. Not sure I can  ring myself to do Snakes, it's shit and I don't need to reaffirm that fact.
Score missing for The Garden?  :)
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

5/10

Overall album score 5/10

Quote from: Jonners on June 21, 2021, 09:31:52 AM5/10

Overall album score 5/10
I make it 4.16/10
Seems a bit low for an album of this quality.