Hols 2021

Started by Nick, April 26, 2021, 19:32:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Anybody book anything yet?

Nothing for me so far.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Matt2112

Quote from: Nick on April 26, 2021, 19:32:01 pmAnybody book anything yet?

Nothing for me so far.
I've been tracking prices for a few Greek islands for weeks.

Quite favourable at the moment, but I'll likely stick to my usual strategy of striking a deal nearer the time (August).
The keys to happiness

Slim

I actually have six holidays planned now, which I'm not comfortable about but there it is. One or two would be more than enough but as you can imagine it's not entirely up to me.

Fortunately not all of them will take place this year.

The first one is in July, I can't remember where but it involves going away somewhere for a week. Wales maybe? Could be Norfolk or Cornwall. It's all booked anyway.

The second one I'm actually looking forward to, it's a driving holiday in Scotland in August (and thanks for the suggestions and comments in the thread I started about it, appreciated). The hotels are booked.

I think there's a Caribbean cruise, but that got put off until 2022. A long weekend in Wales next month got cancelled and put off to May next year. I can't remember what the other ones are.

Slim

I must find out where we're going in July. I'll have to start a conversation about it, and hope that the location is mentioned in passing. I daren't just ask.

zoony

Booked a 5 night break at a dog friendly caravan park in Paignton yesterday, 23rd to the 28th of August. It will be nice to take Maple to the seaside, and there is an all year round dog friendly beach around a mile from the park. My daughter was talking to me last night though saying she is not sure if she wants to come, as she is now 16. I will try to convince her though.

Slim

Quote from: Slim on April 27, 2021, 00:55:53 amI must find out where we're going in July. I'll have to start a conversation about it, and hope that the location is mentioned in passing. I daren't just ask.

Devon! Looks nice a nice place too. Quiet, with a view of the sea.

Slim

Quote from: zoony on May 02, 2021, 09:37:20 amBooked a 5 night break at a dog friendly caravan park in Paignton yesterday, 23rd to the 28th of August. It will be nice to take Maple to the seaside, and there is an all year round dog friendly beach around a mile from the park. My daughter was talking to me last night though saying she is not sure if she wants to come, as she is now 16. I will try to convince her though.

I went on my last holiday with my parents at the age of 17. They took a caravan to Spain, but I had my own little tent. That definitely made a difference. I think you need your own space at that age.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on May 03, 2021, 19:22:32 pmI think you need your own space at that age.
And your own literature...fnarr! fnarr!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: zoony on May 02, 2021, 09:37:20 amMy daughter was talking to me last night though saying she is not sure if she wants to come, as she is now 16. I will try to convince her though.
My last holiday with my parents was when I was 16. They stopped camping and started staying in hotels after that >:(
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

DavidL

Just booked a week and two days off work in June. We've decided to re-trace some of our steps from last October when we stayed just outside Whitby and then Bakewell. Booked up the campsites last night. Again, it will be a one-night stopover just outside Lincoln then 5 nights in Whitby and 4 nights in Bakewell.
We really enjoyed both places last time and there is some good cycling to be had. Places near Whitby we'd like to explore are Runswick Bay and Sandsend. We are also planning to cycle to Scarborough on the cinder trail.
In Bakewell we will probably do the ride we did last year to Matlock and possibly visit Chatsworth. Really liked the vibe in the town, some good pubs and a cracking 'gastro pub' called The Manners. Looking forward to it.
First up though, a long weekend in Milford-On-Sea, Hants... in a couple of weeks time. Love it down there. We would like to find some nice trail riding in the New Forest, which we've never done before.
We still have flights booked for Fuerteventura in October but we've more or less decided that we won't be going. We think we'll get our deposit back for the accommodation but will probably lose all of the money for flight tickets (after re-arranging last year that now totals over £500 - hey-ho). It just doesn't seem worth the faff

Matt2112

Our CEO has a holiday property in Sandsend so that must be a nice part of the world.

Shame you're not planning on going to Fuerteventura - strikes me everything will be well into full swing by then? A place I've never been but certainly want to.
The keys to happiness

DavidL

Quote from: Matt2112 on May 05, 2021, 19:23:54 pmOur CEO has a holiday property in Sandsend so that must be a nice part of the world.

Shame you're not planning on going to Fuerteventura - strikes me everything will be well into full swing by then? A place I've never been but certainly want to.
The problem with going abroad is that there is no guarantee that the status of your destination will not change whilst you are away - not taking that risk.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: DavidL on May 05, 2021, 16:05:10 pmIn Bakewell we will probably do the ride we did last year to Matlock and possibly visit Chatsworth.
When you get to Matlock, have a ride up Bank Road, then once you've warmed up have a ride up to Riber.

DO NOT visit Chatsworth, I don't want that chinless twat Peregrine getting any more money. Bastard.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Matt2112

Quote from: DavidL on May 05, 2021, 20:50:10 pmThe problem with going abroad is that there is no guarantee that the status of your destination will not change whilst you are away - not taking that risk.

In fairness to you, given your trip was scheduled outside of peak season that strikes me as a perfectly legitimate concern. :)
The keys to happiness