• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

RUSH REACTION VIDEOS

Started by zoony, March 04, 2021, 21:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dom on March 29, 2021, 11:27:10 AMIt's tough for us older guys(generally speaking) to keep up. Society seems to be changing very quickly and it is hard to keep up
and indeed keep it up if the volume of Numan adverts during the cricket are to be believed
The new songs are an abomination

Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Well, here it is then, the Holy Grail!

Daily Doug Helving does...........2112

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52vqSg5tBcg

Quote from: Jonners on April 16, 2021, 10:46:48 AMWell, here it is then, the Holy Grail!

Daily Doug Helving does...........2112

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52vqSg5tBcg
Just had a little listen there.  Talk about learning something new every day.  I didn't realise that they had referenced the 1812 Overture  in "Overture".  Maybe that's why they chose that year?
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Quote from: dom on April 16, 2021, 12:40:14 PMJust had a little listen there.  Talk about learning something new every day.  I didn't realise that they had referenced the 1812 Overture  in "Overture".  Maybe that's why they chose that year?
I didn't pick up on the musical nod to the 1812 Overture until I saw it mentioned, but that was some time ago now.

The 1812 itself is magnificent, well worth a proper sit down and listen (the famous final section with the cannons etc sounds all the more stirring after the 14 minutes preceding it).  Apparently Tchaikovsky didn't think much of it himself, it being a commissioned piece where his heart wasn't really in it.
The keys to happiness

April 16, 2021, 13:19:05 PM #35 Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 17:54:27 PM by Jonners
Some comments at the end I simply didn't know or realise, like 2112 being something to do with NPs birthday etc

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-03-30-2112-facts-about-rushs-2112-to-celebrate-its-anniversary/#:~:text=9%2F12%2C%20or%20September%2012th,significant%20meaning%20in%20many%20cultures.

Doug is such a likeable guy, if you can get past his obsession with guessing what key things are played in, he really is a lovely chap to listen to

Quote from: Matt2112 on April 16, 2021, 12:52:27 PMI didn't pick up on the musical nod to the 1812 Overture until I saw it mentioned, but that was some time ago now.

The 1812 itself is magnificent, well worth a proper sit down and listen (the famous final section with the cannons etc sounds all the more stirring after the 14 minutes preceding it).  Apparently Tchaikovsky didn't think much of it himself, it being a commissioned piece where his heart wasn't really in it.
I remember our music teacher playing it in class (when 2112 had only been out a couple of years and I knew nothing of it) and it was very impressive. Was a little miffed that it glorified the rout of the French army though. ☹️
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

I'm surprised so many hadn't picked up on the 1812 Overture reference. I'd be more surprised if they hadn't referenced it.

And anything which glorifies in a rout of the French bears frequent repetition :)
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on April 16, 2021, 14:23:59 PMI'm surprised so many hadn't picked up on the 1812 Overture reference. I'd be more surprised if they hadn't referenced it.

And anything which glorifies in a rout of the French bears frequent repetition :)
If there's one person I thought would have commented on my post... 😂

Quote from: dom on April 16, 2021, 14:32:39 PMIf there's one person I thought would have commented on my post... 😂
Being the pro-EUEuropean person you are Dom, I thought you'd like the glorification of the defeat of a militaristic, expansionist, proto-Fascist state :)

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Quote from: zoony on March 04, 2021, 21:56:51 PMHas anybody watched these reaction videos that they show on YouTube? You get guitarists, drummers, classically trained musicians and even students sat in front of a camera watching videos to albums or live performances, and then giving their opinions and reactions to them. I'm a bit dubious as to whether they are contrived, or actually genuine though. Must admit I've enjoyed watching quite a few people give their opinion on the performance of Xanadu off the E...SL video though. You've got to admit that it is a stunning showcase of all 3 of the bands musical prowess though, and I never grow tired of watching it.
They do seem contrived to me, usually. On your last point - no, I don't admit that. But I'm glad you like it.

Quote from: pdw1 on March 27, 2021, 21:15:54 PMIgnore him Zoony, he just trying to wind you up by tilting at windmills.

That's quite refreshing to see. The PC brigade had Greg Clarke hounded out of his job at the FA for using that term, with one commentator going so far as to describe his remark as "abhorrent".

I don't like it myself because it reminds me of the old Apartheid-era South Africa, but it's truly symptomatic of the precious, fussy time we now live in that "coloured" is considered racist whereas "of colour" is polite and respectful.

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on April 16, 2021, 15:24:17 PMBeing the pro-EUEuropean person you are Dom, I thought you'd like the glorification of the defeat of a militaristic, expansionist, proto-Fascist state :)
Napoleon, the second great European federalist (after Charlemagne)

Quote from: dom on April 16, 2021, 16:04:25 PMNapoleon, the second great European federalist (after Charlemagne)
Great federalist my arse, he was suffering acute Captain Mainwaring syndrome!

And as for Carolus Magnus, the Saxon hater, we'll never forgive the massacre of Verden!

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Quote from: Matt2112 on April 16, 2021, 12:52:27 PMThe 1812 itself is magnificent, well worth a proper sit down and listen (the famous final section with the cannons etc sounds all the more stirring after the 14 minutes preceding it).  Apparently Tchaikovsky didn't think much of it himself, it being a commissioned piece where his heart wasn't really in it.
Always found it a bit over the top myself... ;)
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.