Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 12, 2013, 00:27:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonners

Another step in my road to recovery, will be doing 2 laps of the Royal Town tonight instead of destroying myself in the garage on Zwift. Last night was like being in a sweat box from Bridge over the River Kwai!
The new songs are an abomination

Nick

Well it happened , I fell off my bike for the first time ever, luckily i was almost stationary and couldn't unclip my foot. Fell into a field gateway but was surprised how much of a bump it was for no speed. No one around thank goodness. Chain came off and front brake got knocked around the bars slightly, otherwise no harm.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

Quote from: Nick on June 08, 2021, 20:11:34 pmWell it happened , I fell off my bike for the first time ever, luckily i was almost stationary and couldn't unclip my foot. Fell into a field gateway but was surprised how much of a bump it was for no speed. No one around thank goodness. Chain came off and front brake got knocked around the bars slightly, otherwise no harm.
Ha! We've all had one or two of those! Amazingly my wife hasn't yet and she's only been using cleats for a few months........only a matter of time!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on June 08, 2021, 20:11:34 pmWell it happened , I fell off my bike for the first time ever, luckily i was almost stationary and couldn't unclip my foot. Fell into a field gateway but was surprised how much of a bump it was for no speed. No one around thank goodness. Chain came off and front brake got knocked around the bars slightly, otherwise no harm.
Not done it for a while - touch wood - but yes, you do come down with a bump, I've done almost as much damage to myself doing that than coming off whilst moving.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

dom

June 08, 2021, 23:10:42 pm #4774 Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 23:18:07 pm by dom
I always thought it was a rite of passage to fall off the bike soon after introducing clip ons. Happened to me certainly! Fair play to Nick (until just now) and David's wife for avoiding that mishap!
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Slim

I toppled over on the day I fitted the pedals, while trying them in the garage.

A photo from my 200 mile trip to Norfolk and back turned up in my Facebook feed this morning; it seems it was one year ago today. If I can get a good weather day (mainly about the wind speed) I'd definitely like to do that again, maybe not a 200 mile route but the 170 or whatever it takes.

Generally conditions are not far off ideal at the moment actually, better than they were a year ago. One unfortunate thing was that I was too cold over the last couple of hours, which deterred me from stopping and taking a break. It wasn't a particularly warm day, I had tights on for the whole ride.

Slim

Important to set the unclipping action on the pedal so it's nice and easy, I think. The only time I have trouble is the combination of a new-ish cleat and a tight pedal. Can be a bastard to get your foot out in those circumstances, not what you want when you've got the brakes on approaching a junction or a queue of cars.

dom

Quote from: Slim on June 09, 2021, 13:01:52 pmImportant to set the unclipping action on the pedal so it's nice and easy, I think. The only time I have trouble is the combination of a new-ish cleat and a tight pedal. Can be a bastard to get your foot out in those circumstances, not what you want when you've got the brakes on approaching a junction or a queue of cars.
Agreed. I always have the pedal clasp on a very light/loose setting. So far they haven't come loose unless I intend them too
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Slim

To celebrate the first anniversary of my 200-miler, I decided to do the June Fondo after work today. In all honesty I was going to do a Fondo today anyway, but why not make an occasion of it?

I was able to leave work at about 3:30pm. A bit of a wind coming from the west, but dry and warm. Quite cloudy when I set off but the sun came out for long periods later on.

I was going to go straight up to Melbourne then over the bridge, but absent-mindedly went up Top Brand instead. At the top I decided that the quickest way to get to the South Derbyshire town with the Australian-sounding name would be to go left through Breedon, but looking at my track on Strava, I wasn't right about that. Would have been quicker to keep on to Isley Walton then turn left, or to go through Wilson. I normally prefer not to take that latter road though because it goes past a quarry, and the road is usually rather dusty.

Anyway - up over Swarkestone Bridge then west along my beloved flat A road south of Derby. I went a bit further than Sudbury where I calculated that if I came back through Ticknall and Hartshorne, I'd have done the required 100km.

Beautiful out there, especially at about 9pm in bright, late evening sunshine. Back shortly before sunset. I did think of stopping at a pub near Hilton for a pizza or something but I'd brought enough food with me, so I didn't.

Really loving these opportunities to go out in shorts and short sleeves. I'd brought a long-sleeved top in my backpack in case it was too cool later on, but it wasn't.

I really enjoyed gliding back along the A road with the sun and the wind on my back. Glorious. If only the last ten miles could have been flat as well.

Listened to my Alastair Reynolds audiobook, which is only just maintaining my attention I have to say, then Iain Dale on LBC who was hosting a sort of 'Any Questions?" without an audience. Quite good-natured. Then he had a phone-in about Gareth Southgate and his attention-seeking "Dear England" open letter. I've come to dislike Southgate, I'm sorry to say. He is arrogant, self-important and unwilling to listen. And for the first time in my life, I'll be hoping this current crop of attention-seeking English footballers, with their fondness for political gestures, get knocked out in the group stage of a major tournament.

Anyway, 63.18 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5443010554

Jonners

Quote from: dom on June 09, 2021, 14:35:50 pmAgreed. I always have the pedal clasp on a very light/loose setting. So far they haven't come loose unless I intend them too
If I ever change my cleats, I sit on the turbo trainer (which I do a lot anyway), clip in and out a good few times, and do a session, they are then ready to use outside
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

Clamped the new gear cable onto the new rear mech on the Boardman, adjusted it up, snipped and crimped the cable, all done! Or at least it's shifting nicely on the stand, anyway. Will see how it works on the road tomorrow.

DavidL

Quote from: dom on June 08, 2021, 23:10:42 pmI always thought it was a rite of passage to fall off the bike soon after introducing clip ons. Happened to me certainly! Fair play to Nick (until just now) and David's wife for avoiding that mishap!
Ha! Wife came a cropper at the foot of a steep climb in the centre of Whitby today. We were on the mountain bikes and having decided it was too steep to ride she struggled to pull her foot out of the toe clip. Kind passer-by beat me to it to help her to her feet. Hurt her wrist when she went down, Hopefully not too sore tomorrow as we plan to do the 18 mile trip down to Scarborough on the cinder trail. Looking forward to a nice ride in sunny weather and a look around the town before returning to our touring site at Hawsker, just outside of Whitby.

Slim

Not much time this evening but I thought I'd take out Trigger's Broom for 25 or so after work, to check all's well with the new chain, gear cable and rear mech. All working very sweetly, I'm glad to report. Nice to have it almost clean, as well. I wouldn't have bothered to do that yet if I hadn't bought new stuff to put on it.

I went up through Coalville and Belton, up to Long Whatton, Diseworth, back down through Coleorton. Nothing fancy. Ended up on 20.82 miles, a bit less than I intended but that's fine. Not clever to go too far with three newly-fitted critical components anyway.

Really good to have the Boardman back in full working order, but as I sailed past views of the Leicestershire landscape along Top Brand, pondering the number of equipment options I have available, it did occur to me that I'm a greedy bastard with too many bikes.

Intermittently cloudy and sunny again. Cooler than of late but still comfortable in shorts and short sleeves. Nice little run out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5452946711

155 this month, more tomorrow possibly.

Slim

June 12, 2021, 21:24:07 pm #4783 Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 21:25:41 pm by Slim
I got up early this morning, yet somehow I didn't really feel like grinding out a long ride. Shame really because it was a warm, dry day and I wasn't on call. Just the sort of conditions that can be frustratingly elusive. But the wind was coming from the west and I didn't really fancy a long run out over that way again so soon.

In the end I left the house at about 10:25, with the thought of doing 45 or so - which would allow me time for other activities in the afternoon, but get the distance total for June up to about 200 miles.

No clear idea of what I wanted to do as I set off, but I settled for a Twycrosser. I decided to have a run along the Dad's Army extension, into Warwickshire. That led me eventually along a busy stretch of the A5, I tried a couple of left turns off that, but both took me into dead-end industrial estates. After a few miles of that, I turned back.

Back off the A5 and onto Spon Lane. On a whim I decided to take a left off that, to explore for a bit. Found myself on a narrow, gritty and mostly uphill track. At the top of that I followed a sign to Dordon. I had no real idea where I was at this point, but fortunately Dordon was a decent-sized little town so I was hopeful I'd have a better route out of it than the narrow track I'd just taken.

And I did, but this took me back to the A5! I'd looped back onto myself. So I came back down. I stopped at a garage and bought an iced coffee, a bag of crisps and a Flake. Strolled over to a nearby Starbucks and made myself comfortable at a table and chair outside there. Bit cheeky I suppose, since I was consuming food bought elsewhere.

Back onto the Twycross route, along Fenn Lanes, up through Bosworth, Carlton et al as usual. I stopped at the Gate Hangs Well for a G&T in the sunshine six miles from home.

Back on 51.59 miles. 207 this month. In the end I was sorry I hadn't done a proper Fondo. I could have done another ten miles today of course but I much prefer to go somewhere 20-odd miles away and come back, rather than faffing around.

Still - nice run out on a warm, sunny day. Quick shower when I got back then out again for cocktails by the lake at San Giovanni, so it's been a good day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5458683606

Nïckslïkk2112

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered a new set of wheels for the Bianchi. It's frustrating having a nice looking bike that's barely faster than my Aluminium Defy and the wheels are the biggest difference between that and the TCR which has a nice Carbon Fibre set. So I've gone for a Carbon set - tubeless - which should be about 750g lighter. Only trouble is, there's a five week lead time on them, a couple of years back it was five days.

Mahi Mahi disk brake aero carbon wheels - Just Riding Along

They got a decent review at Road.cc

Review: Just Riding Along Mahi Mahi 40 wheelset | road.cc

Just a pity they don't do Celeste coloured spoke nipples. That would be bling.

Fitted a new rear tyre on the TCR today, managed to do it all on my own with no input from Mrs S's superthumbs, Schwalbe Pro Ones do seem to be tubeless easy. Didn't take it out today though as I just want to make sure the tyre is properly secure. Ten hours on from fitting it still seems hard.

So, it was out on the Bianchi today. Nice sunny weather, not too warm, but a bit too windy at times. Way too much traffic on the roads, was having to wait at junctions where normally there's nothing. Got slowed down by a Tractor going up Loads road, he was coming down, there were parked vehicles on his side of the road, he should have stopped to let me up. Not going to happen when you're faced with a "poor" farmer in a Wank Tractor. Bastard.

Still a nice 50 miler.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5458706079/
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection