• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

The snooker thread

Started by zoony, January 18, 2013, 16:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McManus makes the semi 23 years after the last time .awesome performance . well chuffed for him 😀
Mon the Jambos

Quote from: Blastzone on April 27, 2016, 23:00:10 PM
McManus makes the semi 23 years after the last time .awesome performance . well chuffed for him 😀

You'd have got good odds on predicting that last 4 line up mate. Can't say I particularly like to watch any of them play, but I've got to favour the Englishman to win it  ;).

August 14, 2020, 23:59:44 PM #92 Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:57:54 AM by zoony
Really enjoyable world championship going on at the moment, and 2 cracking semi finals today that both went to the deciding frame. So it's Ronnie against Kyren Wilson in the final. Would be great to see Ronnie win his 6th.

Quote from: zoony on August 14, 2020, 23:59:44 PMReally enjoyable world championship going on at the moment, and 2 cracking semi finals today that both went to the deciding frame. So it's Ronnie against Kyran Wilson in the final. Would be great to see Ronnie win his 6th.
Just in from work and watched the last 4 frames...amazing snooker, love to see it, although I'm back to work again tomorrow so only see the afternoon session but off all day Sunday for the finale, wouldn't it be great to see as good a final as those two semifinals.

cheers, Colin
green man...................wembley 8th sep
prem lodge...................n.e.c 11th sept
moon under water.........m.e.n 12 sept
solid rock.....................s.e.c.c 14th sept

Suddenly - You were gone from all the lives you left your mark upon
I remember - How we talked and drank into the misty dawn
Ian

Quote from: colinbrown69 on August 15, 2020, 05:29:27 AMJust in from work and watched the last 4 frames...amazing snooker, love to see it, although I'm back to work again tomorrow so only see the afternoon session but off all day Sunday for the finale, wouldn't it be great to see as good a final as those two semifinals.

cheers, Colin
It would indeed mate 🙂.

After an indifferent display on the first day of the final, Ronnie certainly got his act together yesterday, winning the last 8 frames on the trot to seal an 18-8 victory for his 6th World title. Without a doubt the best player ever to pick a cue up.

InterestingStatement there Zooners, how does one judge who is the greatest snooker player ever?

Presumably titles won?

But then Joe Davis would be the greatest, as he won 15 or more If I remember correctly, most on the bounce, and basically invented how modern snooker was played. So, he was a bit like the Beatles.

BUT......you got a bye to the final if you won it the previous year, so winning wasnt as tough.

Steve Davis? 28 titles?

Hendry? 36 titles

But, Ronnie has the most Ranking Titles, so I guess he must be.

Personally i despise snooker, and feel sick if it is descibed as a "sport" rather than a parlour game, but thats another argument entirely. If sport is defined as a game played between two individuals or more, then I guess scrabble, darts, bridge, jack straws and cluedo must also be called sports.
The new songs are an abomination

Quote from: Jonners on August 17, 2020, 14:52:41 PMBut then Joe Davis would be the greatest, as he won 15 or more If I remember correctly, most on the bounce, and basically invented how modern snooker was played. So, he was a bit like the Beatles.
My grandad used to beat Joe Davis at snooker :)
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Quote from: Jonners on August 17, 2020, 14:52:41 PMInterestingStatement there Zooners, how does one judge who is the greatest snooker player ever?

Presumably titles won?

As it is an individual sport, titles won must come into it mate. Hendry has won one more world title in the modern era than Ronnie, and with his temperament and dedication, there are a lot of people who rate him as the GOAT. Ronnie has let himself down at times with some if his antics on the table, and the things he has said, but for pure natural talent and ability, he has to be the all time number one. As you said, he has won the most ranking titles, and he is way out in front with century breaks in tournaments, where he currently has over a thousand. Joe Davis was obviously very good winning 15 titles, but back in his day, there were very few players, so he didn't have that much competition. Reardon won 6, all in the 70s, Davies won 6, all in the 80s, and Hendries 7 all came in the 90s. Ronnie's 6 however, have come in 3 different decades, which proves that his talent has stood the test of time longer than anyones. Pure genius.