Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 12, 2013, 00:27:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

Managed to get over 600 miles in for April - 616 in fact with 47,250ft of climbing. Bit of a let down on the Hillage front, but hey-ho at least I've been cycling faster than last year.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Slim

I did 372 in April which is fine, but substantially less than March (425). Not sure why, given it was a very dry month. Maybe a bit too cold and windy.

My spreadsheet has assigned a target of 333 for this month based on miles done already and my target for 2021 (3770). But I think I'll aim for 4000 now.

Nïckslïkk2112

I was hoping to pair up my new Rapha jersey with Rapha bib shorts today, but the weather had a decidedly chillier edge than last week. It has to be over 12C for me to be exposing arms and legs and today most certainly wasn't.

It wasn't too bad to start, but once at higher levels and as the day wore on I was glad of being fully covered. Especially in the brief rain shower I caught. I was surprised by how few cyclists were out today though, I think most were out in cars as the roads were especially busy today. Mrs S thinks it's because they do as their wives say and stay in to do do some DIY - I scoff at thoughts like these. Real men ride bikes, they don't do DIY.

Real men don't fall off their bikes near finish lines either. Geraint Thomas, you are a plonker, falling in sight of the finish line which would have given you the lead in the tour de Romandie. Your hands slipped on the bars when you tried to change gear? A likely story!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5225472198/

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Slim

May 02, 2021, 20:51:10 pm #4713 Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 20:57:54 pm by Slim
My wife often asks if I'm going to wear a helmet, just before I set off on a cycle ride. Usually, as was the case this time, the answer is "no". Today I explained that it was too sunny, and I'd need a cap.

"It's always either too cold, or too sunny", she observed. Then she went for my soft underbelly, my vanity. "If you were a proper cyclist, you'd wear a helmet", she continued.  But she missed the mark with that one, because I happen to think my habit of wearing unconventional cycling headwear lends my appearance a certain raffish, maverick quality. However - I decided not to bother with the explanation about statistics, and I agreed to wear my helmet, to give her a bit of peace of mind.

And I must admit, it was nice to have the proper uniform on for a change. Especially with sunglasses. I always think clear cycling glasses with a helmet look a bit nerdy.

Anyway - I wanted to do a Fondo today. Dry and sunny with a moderate wind blowing from the west. I decided to go south, down to Welford. But after about a mile, I changed my mind and decided to go west, along the flat A road south of Derby. So I did a U turn and propelled myself through Coalville, up through Belton and Isley Walton, to Melbourne. From there, up over Swarkestone Bridge. I stopped to take this pic, but actually decided to have a snack here - the wall looked comfortable enough to sit on. I ate two cheese rolls before setting off again.

The headwind was a bit annoying going west. By the time I got to Doveridge I'd done 35 miles, enough (I correctly guessed) to make my distance up to the requisite 62.14 miles if I came home the quicker way from Melbourne.

So much nicer on the way back with a tailwind. It was a bit warmer by then as well. I stopped at a pub at Hilton for a half lager and some food - they were only doing pizzas. Unusually, no doubt as a social-distancing measure, they were providing table service today which was ideal as I didn't need to leave the bike unattended.

I was careful to wear a face covering.

A pleasant chap at a nearby table wanted to know how much the bike cost, how many miles I did on it and so on. he told me he was an ex Para and had buggered his knees, so he didn't think cycling was for him. I told him that it might well do them a bit of good. He was impressed that I was doing 60-odd miles today as people often are when they ask, but of course it's easier than it sounds. Got to be easier than jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft, even with a parachute.

Back on 65.09 miles. Nice to do that route again, I don't often go as far as Sudbury and Doveridge. Not sure if it's a Fondo distance if you take the direct route to and from Melbourne both ways. I don't think you can really get any further than Doveridge unfortunately, without going onto a very busy road. I must check that.

Listened to 6 Music mostly - Cerys Matthews played some good stuff in honour of the Cheltenham Jazz Festival. Then footy on 5 Live until Arsenal scored their first goal against Newcastle. Then the Reacher audiobook, Echo Burning which is unfolding nicely.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5231208693

Nïckslïkk2112

After yesterday's fifty miler, my legs were feeling quite good today. Well, better than they normally do. It didn't last. By the time I was half way through my Fondo my wheels metaphorically fell off. I think it was the realisation that I was only half way through my ride. It didn't help that I hadn't brought enough comestibles with me, another Oat Bar would have come in handy. Still, by that point all the serious climbing had been ticked off, so it was more of a rolling hills/downhill second half of the ride.

Made my first trip out to Bamford today. Got passed by a Range Rover which said "One Life. Live It" in the rear window, well the way he was driving >:( he won't have a long life, he'll shorten several more lives with his filthy exhaust too >:( >:(

Did the Bamford to Stanage climb, which Strava says has an elevation gain of 732ft, but it's really two climbs with a downhill bit in the middle so you actually pack in about 1,000ft of climbing. It's basically a single track road and today I couldn't believe how many cars were parked along it and I've never known it so busy with moving vehicles. You need to get into a good rhythm, but it was very stop/start today. Thankfully with no stopping, so it was slow down until about to stop/start which doesn't help. Did manage to overtake three people though, always good for the old ego. One of the buggers got me back again though >:( But anyone can ride quickly downhill.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5231823806/

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Jonners

Was thinking about planning a ride this weekend, but it looks a little "moist"
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

Not so bad round these parts on Sunday. 15 degrees allegedly. 15mph as well, but dry.

Slim

Windy. Not the best afternoon for a run out after work, but beggars can't be choosers. I have a conflicting appointment tomorrow and it's going to rain on Saturday.

So I wheeled out the X and set off at about 3:35pm. I was struggling into the wind before I'd got 50 metres from the garage, which I think is a first. I'd decided on a Twycross Bypasser, and I chose to do the version with an extension to the west that takes in Warton before rejoining the usual route at Pinwall.

Conditions were tolerable enough early on when the sun was out, but when the clouds rolled over the temperature dropped dramatically and it was awful out there in the cold wind. My fingertips were freezing, even though I was wearing a thoroughly creditable pair of cycling gloves. And yet three years ago exactly, on 6th May 2018, 'er indoors and I went on a cycle ride and we were sweltering in the heat. I expect I documented it here. I know this because a pic from that memorable journey came up in my Facebook feed this morning.

To make matters worse, the rain started to come down about 6 miles from home. Misery. But it stopped with about a mile to go and the sun came out so I took this snap.

Passed a few polling stations on the way including one at a church, which strikes me as a good way to deter rational people from taking part in our democracy. Fortunately, I didn't have to visit anything sillier than a leisure centre when I went to vote myself.

Back on 30.15 miles. Glad to have done them but I can't say I would have if I'd known what it was going to be like out there.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5252469145

Slim

May 09, 2021, 16:55:02 pm #4718 Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 16:57:18 pm by Slim
Lovely day out there again, but a bit windy. I'm on call but I thought I'd do 30 or 40. The wind was blowing roughly from the south, so I thought I'd head down the southbound route for a bit then see where my mood took me. I did that as far as Kirkby Mallory, then took the road to Sutton Cheney from there. From Sutton I did what amounted to a Reverse Twycross Bypasser.

I was a bit too warm later on. Should have taken a backpack to stuff layers of clothing into.

Listened to 6 Music until Cerys played a tune all about how white people had made everyone's lives worse which of course annoyed me, but that turned out to be quite fortuitous because I retuned to Jazz FM and Tony Minvielle's show - and he played some really good stuff, including a banging Minnie Riperton tune I hadn't heard before. Why it's still called Jazz FM though I'm not sure. Perhaps it's considered catchier than Jazz DAB or Smart Speaker.

Then I made a couple of hours' progress on the Reacher audiobook. Interesting twist in the plot, about half-way through. Then Villa vs United on 5 Live.

Spotted a pair of discarded knickers along Fenn Lanes, haven't seen that for a while. Black and lacy. Half buried in the roadside earth so they must have been there for quite some time.

So nice to have this sort of weather on a Sunday afternoon. Back on 40.24 miles, that's 135 this month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5268335706

Nïckslïkk2112

After yesterday's washout and Thursday evening's think I'll get away with it, but end up soaked to the skin after being battered by giant hailstones, it was nice to get out for a 99% dry day. The sunny morning had disappeared by the time I set off and it was just raining a bit up the Froggatt climb, but I avoided all the stuff which was falling over in the Hope Valley.

Plenty of folk were out on their bikes today, making up for yesterday I suppose, the great unwashed were also out in the cars though. Scum 90% of them. Lots of women out on bikes today, some as part of mixed groups, but quite a few out on their own. I got some nice smiles off a few of them :) They were probably feeling sorry for the old bloke crabbing his way uphill...

Longest ride of the year for me so far at 65 miles, didn't quite get in a mile of elevation gain, but you can't have everything. I've also taken to recording my rides on the Strava app as well as the Garmin, as the Garmin is getting increasingly fickle, taking ages to come to life and then not entering Mass Storage Mode when I want to upload my ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5269746635

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Jonners

Bottled it again yesterday when asked to go for an outside ride with my pals. Managed to find an excuse not to

Think I need to sort myself out, just not sure how.......
The new songs are an abomination

DavidL

May 10, 2021, 14:29:31 pm #4721 Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 14:42:45 pm by DavidL
The wife was not feeling too chipper yesterday so we didn't venture out early and I started a job at home. The weather forecast looked as if things would improve in the afternoon anyway so we surmised that our best chance of a rain-free ride would be after lunch. Around 4:00pm we got the bikes out with the weather looking very threatening but still dry. As we'd had a booze-free Saturday, I struck on the idea of doing one of our shorter rides in the 'reverse' direction on the mountain bikes, which would enable us to call in at The Mason's Arms, South Leigh for some refreshment. It is only about 2/3 miles from home.
We enjoyed a dry ride and arrived at the pub looking forward to a relaxing couple of drinks. As is the way now, we were asked if we'd booked and were then given the opportunity to choose a picnic bench in the garden. Less than a dozen people already there, some eating, the rest had probably eaten. Lovely set-up with a large marquee-type thing with open sides providing shelter if needed. It looks a bit like a Bedouin tent, very welcoming. I had a nice pint of Cotswold Pale Ale and Clare got stuck into the Pinot Noir.
We had a lovely couple of hours chatting to two separate couples whilst enjoying our drinks. We did have a shower, which forced us into the marquee but it had stopped by the time we headed for home around 8:30pm after three and a half pints and four large glasses. We snacked on some lovely smoked, roasted almonds.
We decided that we've now got a variety of rides available to us that give us the option to end at three or four great country pubs close to home. I've got high hopes for this summer

Nïckslïkk2112

Back furloughed again for a couple of days a week until the end of May. Still, it's let me out for a couple of 45 mile rides in summer cycling kit :)

Couldn't believe how much gravel was washed out into the roads following last night's thunder storms. Not just gravel, on the road to Barlow - quite a well used road - there were rocks the size of my first out in the road. Luckily they're easy for aging eyes to spot :)

I've finally accepted I'll never be a pro-cyclist - not that I ever thought I would be. I'd just started the bottom of the Loads Road climb, when a bloke who I'd just seen coming down the other way flew by me on a 10% section. Normally I try and pick up the pace when I get overtaken, but this bloke was spinning like he was on the flat. He was wearing Ribble-Weldtite kit, a UK ProConti team. He got about 2/3 of the way up before I'd reached halfway, then he turned round. I thought he might be trying to go all the way down and then still summit before I did. But no, having found him on Strava it appears as he was doing reps on most of the hill - probably so as not to deprive me of my local legend status. It also seems he spent time as a stagiere with Lotto Soudal. He's a bit better than me.

Ho-hum, at least I completed May's Strava climbing challenge today.

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Slim

I'd planned to do a Fondo or even a 100 miler today, but I softened and decided to take 'er indoors out for lunch somewhere - since we were supposed to be on holiday in Wales today, before the virus intervened.

However this morning my other half decided she'd like to go out a bit later in the day instead, at 4pm. Bit annoying as if I'd known we were going to do this I'd have gone out earlier and done a Fondo. As it was, I left the garage on the Tricross at about 11:45, determined to do about 35. A Twycrosser seemed the obvious option. I did that down to Pinwall then did a bit of the "Dad's Army" route, then back up via Norton and Orton.

Stopped at a bench at Snarestone for a mini pork pie on the way back.

The weather was a bit cold and overcast early on but brightened (and warmed) up a bit later.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5296961616

35.34 which takes me to 171 this month. Not great for the mid-point of May, really. The weather looks rubbish for the next week, as well.

Nïckslïkk2112

Got my Giant TCR back from its service last night. Bit of bloody chain rub though >:(

Still, it goes like absolute stink. Took it out last night and averaged 17.5 mph on a ride I'd average 16 mph on last week on the Bianchi. OK so last week I did get a 15 minute heavy hail/rain shower, but this week I got my first sub 12 minute ride up Loads road of the year. Only gone faster up it twice before.

I love the Bianchi for its looks, but for "rapid" cycling the Giant's the one to beat. Although I do keep wondering if a set of Carbon hoops will speed up the Bianchi over its basic Shimano wheels.

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering