• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Which is your favourite looking guitar or bass?

Started by Anna Woriboutchu, September 21, 2020, 02:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

September 21, 2020, 02:11:22 AM Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 02:19:10 AM by Anna Woriboutchu Reason: incorrect spelling
Really interested in opinions on this. I have quite a few friends who are fans of Rush or other bands who don't  have much interest in the instruments their heroes wield. It has always been a big part of my fascination with music and I can't help but associate certain artists with their instruments in a visual way. For me nothing comes close to Geddy with his Rickenbacker 4080 Doubleneck (the wider bodied version) with black pick guard.

If Angus Young ran onstage with Strat - mass "eh?" from the crowd 
😂

I had a similar feeling the first time I saw Alex playing a Strat - on the Permanent Waves tour, I think. He'd Gibsonised it with a toggle switch and humbucker.

Anyway - for me the best-looking guitar is a Les Paul with faded sunburst and a subtle flame. Must have nickel pickup covers. I'm also very partial to natural finish Stratocasters with rosewood fingerboards - like the one KK Downing is wielding on the rear cover of Sad Wings Of Destiny.

I do have a custom made Les Paul with a "honeyburst" finish, but it has one or two details that deviate from the classic look - and it's more of a pinstripe flame.

I do have an ash-bodied Strat in a natural finish with rosewood fingerboard; actually a FrankenStrat that I put together from the best bits of two 1980 Strats.

I'm partial to red Telecasters, as well.

September 21, 2020, 12:49:24 PM #4 Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 13:22:29 PM by Richard_2112
Personally I think the brand with the best paint jobs is PRS. The Custom 24 is possibly the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen.

Having said that there's a lot to be said for the Gibson Les Paul in whatever colour it comes in, provided it doesn't come with a pick guard. The next guitar I intend to purchase is a silverburst Les Paul.

I've always had a soft spot for a red wine Strat too.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

I definitely think the finishers at PRS are the best in the business. One thing I would say though is that sometimes they go over the top.

Gretsch White Falcon looks very cool
Better looking than your average Tory Cabinet Minister

Fender Strat in Tidepool Blue or Vintage White

Charvel So Cal Vintage White

Les Paul in Desertburst

PRS Private Stock in Violin Amber (absolutely stunning)

Ibanez RG J Craft with "Tree of Life" fretboard inlay (flamboyant yet easy on the eye)
The keys to happiness

My favourite colour for Strats is pewter. I did have one once but I ruined it and sold it. Same colour as EC's signature Strat, but it was a regular Am Std with two point bridge and the solid bridge pieces (which I really like).

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 21, 2020, 17:29:16 PMFender Strat in Tidepool Blue or Vintage White

Charvel So Cal Vintage White

Les Paul in Desertburst

PRS Private Stock in Violin Amber (absolutely stunning)

Ibanez RG J Craft with "Tree of Life" fretboard inlay (flamboyant yet easy on the eye)
I have a Les Paul Less Plus Desert burst 2015, never really been out of the case if you ever fancy a lighter weight addition to your armoury. Beautiful guitar that I would prefer to go to a deserving home.

Quote from: Slim on September 21, 2020, 10:41:56 AMI had a similar feeling the first time I saw Alex playing a Strat - on the Permanent Waves tour, I think. He'd Gibsonised it with a toggle switch and humbucker.
Wasn't that the Hentor Sportscaster, still available for a significant amount of cash? I do go along with your liking for a natural finish with rosewood fingerboard though. Nearly took the plunge for a Fender Ultra Jazz Bass of this description recently. My business background is hardwoods, so was very interested in Fender's decision to step away from Ash. Unfortunate as I think the UK will soon be littered with dead Fraxinus Exelsior one of our most prolific species. My T-40 was American Ash with a clear wax oil finish. i must buy more basses. Soon.

Quote from: Anna Woriboutchu on September 22, 2020, 00:49:06 AMWasn't that the Hentor Sportscaster, still available for a significant amount of cash?
No - I think Alex's PeW tour Strat predates the Sportscaster.

Quote from: Slim on September 22, 2020, 08:36:52 AMNo - I think Alex's PeW tour Strat predates the Sportscaster.

I don't recall seeing Alex play a Strat at the PeW gig I attended at Hammersmith. I could be wrong but I think the first time I saw him use  aStrat on stage would have been the ESL tour.

Quote from: Anna Woriboutchu on September 22, 2020, 00:36:05 AMI have a Les Paul Less Plus Desert burst 2015, never really been out of the case if you ever fancy a lighter weight addition to your armoury. Beautiful guitar that I would prefer to go to a deserving home.
Interesting! Thanks - I may PM you if that's okay. :)
The keys to happiness

Def saw him play one at Newcastle City Hall, and PeW was the last tour that called at that venue.