• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 12, 2013, 00:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Slim on May 19, 2021, 23:37:27 PMI'll have a better look for my torque wrench in the garage tomorrow.

I did find the torque wrench. However as soon as I did, I realised that I'd mislaid the new titanium bolts. They still haven't turned up. So I bought some more, cheaper ones from Amazon. I'm slightly sceptical that they're titanium actually, I think they might just be steel. But they'll do for the second Boardman anyway.

I suppose the Roubaix will be getting a stem bolt upgrade when I find them again.

Went out to the garage and replaced the slightly corroded stem bolts with the new (cheap) ones.

Just for interest, I did some measurements.

Weight of old (steel) bolt : 3.5g
Weight of new, cheaper "titanium alloy" bolt: 3.4g
Weight of proper titanium alloy bolt : 2.5g

The bolts are all the same length and gauge. So that tells me that these new bolts are actually steel, not titanium.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08TBQ56NM

They weren't expensive but I'll leave a negative review on Amazon anyway.

A warm-ish, sunny afternoon but a bit windy. Left work early and did a pretty run-of-the-mill Twycrosser on the Cannondale. Nice apart from the wind which was a bit of a struggle with it in my face coming north of Bosworth.

Had to be back early so only 28.74 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5357155430

368 this month.

Certainly a bit windy today. I got out for a 40 miler, takes me to 634 for May.
Didn't feel like going out this morning, but felt better for going out this afternoon - despite the wind.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Sun!!!!

I can see sun!
The new songs are an abomination

I see rain :(

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Grim up (further) North

I see not so much rain :)

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Yeah, thanks for passing it down 'ere!

Well, I managed to get out in a dry slot for 40 miles - I do miss a few inches in a wet slot - glad I didn't make it 45 miles or I'd have got drenched.

That's now the end of my bonus Furlough cycling. I think most people are now back at work as there aren't the number of folk out in the middle of the week as there were a few weeks ago. I think today it was down to me, OAPs and professionals out training. I hate the Pros, they really show you up. Took me 17'40" up Froggatt today, Jake Stewart from Groupama-FDJ took 14 minutes dead and he's only a sprinter. Mind he is over 35 years younger than me...

https://www.strava.com/activities/5361818043/

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Beautiful weather this afternoon. Actually warm! Not too windy. And sunny. I had withdrawn a bicycle from the garage by 4pm.

No clear intention other than to do about 35 miles, which would take me over 400 for May. On call though, so I couldn't go too far. I went north-east up to Long Whatton, west via a rather wayward route to Melbourne, then south-west to Ticknall. I detoured through Hartshorne again like I did on Saturday. Nice to have a viable way of coming home through Ticknall that avoids Bastard Hill.

Came home through Ashby, slightly more directly than last time. Lots of people out on the street, and a queue outside one of the pubs there, the White Hart.

Hadn't stopped off at the bench near Ticknall for a long time, so I snapped a pic there. It's clearly in need of a lick of varnish.

Listened mostly to Matt Hancock's press conference. I don't want to dwell on Dominic's little vendetta really, because outside the often fictional world of opposition politics it's a non-story, but clearly the journos in attendance today didn't think so. I'll just record here that Matt handled the questions put to him with great dignity and integrity, and indeed with commendable clarity to be fair.

The BBC is using the anniversary of the death of George Floyd, whom their presenters speak of in hushed, reverent tones now, as though he was Black America's answer to the Dalai Lama, to have another broadcast race politics festival. This evening 5 Live invited a number of contributors to give their view on how History, as a school subject, might be adjusted to better serve the agenda of the perpetual victim culture addicts and race propagandists. No opposing view was permitted, no kind of critical questioning of this took place.

Anyway, feck the BBC. I'm not paying for that garbage any more. Back on 36.77 miles, which takes me to 404 this month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5368554081

Nice weather this weekend. Hoping to do 35 or so tomorrow (will be on call) and a Fondo on Monday, (when I'm not). Which will take me to over 500 for the month.

Didn't feel a need to go too far today while on call, and I had other plans for the afternoon anyway. Set off at about 10:30, thinking of doing 35 miles or so again. Quite surprised to find that a few spots of rain were descending as I extracted the Cannondale from the garage, but I expected that they'd dry up before long. In fact, twenty minutes later I was riding through a persistent soft rain. But another half hour later things had brightened and warmed up considerably, and my clothes and the bike dried off nicely.

I did a Twycross Bypasser, extended to the west by an excursion to Polesworth from the Orton detour. I'd actually intended to turn left short of Polesworth along Kisses Barn Lane, but I missed that turn.

Back up through Shenton and Bosworth. Every time I take Shenton Lane I wonder why I don't do it more often, and make a mental note to do so. Beautifully quiet along there. Took this pic there.

Listened to the rest of the Reacher audiobook, Echo Burning, to its conclusion. Seems a little bit contrived, the way Jack ultimately determines the exact sequence of events, Sherlock Holmes-style. But it's a pretty good book, one of the best of the first five. Unfortunately although there's an audiobook version of the next one, Without Fail, for some reason it's not available as a cheap add-on with a Kindle version purchase. Perhaps I'll try something a bit more highbrow for a bit, anyway.

Lots of little flies around at the moment, presumably because we've had a wet May. And as I was coming round the fast downhill bend north of Bosworth, head down, what must have been a fairly large one collided with my right eye like an air rifle pellet. Not really what I wanted on one of those rare moments when I have concentrate carefully on a bike ride. But I survived. Thoroughly pleasant run out.

Back on 36.08 miles, 440 this month. Quick shower when I got in then spent a very nice hour or two in a sunny restaurant garden in Melbourne quaffing cocktails, so it's been a rather nice day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5377109032

Despite the weather having picked up a bit, I didn't feel so good when setting off today and the return to warmth was all a bit too much for me at first. Still, the sunny warm weather meant I could wear my new Rapha ensemble for the first time. Whatever else it did for me I was the smartest cyclist on the road today. I certainly got one or two admiring glances, or maybe they were just thinking "Look at that ponce".

Despite not feeling 100% I set my third fastest time up the Fiddler's Elbow, must be the new outfit as I just settled into a groove and even held back a bit as I didn't want to catch the cyclist in front of me. Good job I didn't as he pulled away from me on the flat and downhill.

Over on Eastmoor I saw a couple of Lapwing having a go at each other. I told Mrs S that I'd seen a Lapwing and Peewit having a go at each other, despite me telling her that Peewit is another name for a Lapwing every time I've seen one, she never twigs that they are one and the same. Dumb broad.

So, just the 47.5 miles today, but that gets me to 748 for May, so with two days left I should hit 800 miles. Which will be nice.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5378814351/

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Nice and warm out there so I gave the filthy handlebar tape on the second Boardman a good wash. Came up nicely. Kitchen cleaner, a touch of spray degreaser and car shampoo, applied with a big wet sponge. Really a very stupid colour for bar tape.

You can also just see the faux-titanium stem bolts.