• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 12, 2013, 00:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh yes, nearly forgot - another roadside knickers sighting, on the road to Twycross. Pink, very skimpy. That's two rides in a row with underwear sightings, after a long drought. Perhaps an indication of society opening up a bit following the lockdown.

Quote from: Slim on May 15, 2021, 01:45:26 AMOh yes, nearly forgot - another roadside knickers sighting, on the road to Twycross. Pink, very skimpy. That's two rides in a row with underwear sightings, after a long drought. Perhaps an indication of society opening up a bit following the lockdown.
If nothing else, it certainly suggests that legs are beginning to open up

Rain in the forecast today, but not until the early afternoon. I got up a bit earlier than I otherwise would have, and set off at about 09:50. I've brought Boardman II back from my mum's place now, so I took that.

I did a Twycrosser, with an extension down the "Dad's Army" route in the direction of Tamworth, this time staying on the B5000 rather than taking the Spon Lane turn. I like that stretch of road. It's not easy to incorporate it into a route though, so I typically just cruise along it for a couple of miles, then turn back. This time I got as far as Polesworth where I stopped at a bench for a bit before I turned back.

From Pinwall I continued the Twycrosser, choosing the Atterton Lane variant - I thought the road might be flooded near the river, but it wasn't.

Stopped again along Fenn Lanes near the entrance to a farm that's a few metres off the road and secluded. Lo and behold - another pair of discarded knickers. That's three rides in a row! A hat trick! These ones had clearly been there quite some time though, they were faded and a bit rotten.

I did get rained on a couple of times, but the roads were perfectly dry near home when I got back. Hadn't rained here at all and actually it still hasn't which makes me think I should really have done a Fondo, except of course that it may well have pissed down with rain a mile from here. NW Leics is very micro-climate-ish. On the way up from Bosworth I could see rain in the distance to the north-west, maybe five or six miles away.

My rechargeable DAB has seen better days and it gave up after only 2.5 hours or so, from a full charge. I switched to the Reacher audiobook. I'd been listening to Jazz FM, some really good stuff again.

I wore the wrong gloves with my GPS watch. These particular gloves have long and slightly stiff cuffs and they sometimes catch the buttons on the watch, putting it into pause mode. Consequently there are a couple of perfectly straight lines on the track it recorded. But I've done the maths with the help of Google Maps, for the spreadsheet.

42.70 miles, which takes me to 214 this month and 1605 this year. This time last year I'd done 2283, but I'm not bothered about that. 4,000 miles will do this year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5307093060

Just noticed from last year's spreadsheet that I did a 113 mile ride a year ago today; my most recent Bingley Hall pilgrimage. Troubling to think that that's a year ago already.

Think I'm becoming a fair weather cyclist. I could have got a couple of hours in yesterday without getting too wet, but I stayed in. I did have a new toy to play with though.

Possibilities of new toy exhausted, I did go out this afternoon. However I wasn't sure for how long as the weather forecast was very showery and the rainfall radar was very showery. So I decided to stay local so as to make a quick return home if the weather became too unpleasant. 

Happily I managed to fit a Fondo in. I managed to avoid any showers - there weren't many about and I could see them coming - even though I didn't manage to avoid any freshly wetted roads, boy do I hate the feeling of spray on bare shins...

So, 63 miles takes me to 405 for May.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5308579153
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

cycled outside yesterday with the school dads. 43 miles, lots of nice chat, roads shit but what can you do, 17.3mph average so they have been making good steps forward.

So, all in all, mission accomplished
The new songs are an abomination

The forecast was for persistent showers all afternoon. The rain did come down quite heavily for 20 minutes at about 1pm, but by the time I stopped working for the day about three hours later, the rainfall radar suggested that it wouldn't rain again today. The almost-warm sunshine and mild breeze had dried the roads off quite nicely bar a few puddles, so I went out for 20 miles or so. Had to be back by 6:30pm.

I did a shortish Twycrosser, omitting Sheepy Magna by taking a short cut down the A444 and coming back along Gibbet Lane, where I took the pic.

Back on 20.31 miles, briefer than I'd have preferred but a nice run out. 234 this month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5319882102

Repeated the ride I did last Tuesday, but this time on the Giant and not the Bianchi. Wind was a Westerly today as opposed to a SSE wind last week. I averaged 17.3 mph today versus 16.5 last week. Ah, the joys of a lighter bike :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/5317015480/

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Don't know if I managed last Wednesday's ride any quicker today as I didn't get round to repeating it. The morning was forecast to be dry, but as I headed for my run into home I could see a big rain shower sweeping in along my way home, so I turned tail and came back a different way and ran into the rather heavy shower just as I rode up my drive.

Still, it was a ride of about the same distance, with about the same amount of climbing and I managed an average speed 0.6 mph up on last week.

At least I got in the best part of two hours working on my tan lines. Nobody else I saw was though, they were all still dressed for winter "It's freezing mate" said one to me as his group came the other way along Beeley Moor. Freezing? It was about 11C, balmy weather!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5322793679/

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Like yesterday, a downpour of rain in the early afternoon gave way to sunny skies. A bit windier today, but warmer as well. Very nice out there by the time I withdrew Boardman II from the garage. I wouldn't usually do consecutive days, but I only did 20-odd yesterday and the weather looks iffy right into the weekend.

At lunchtime, I had decided to replace the slightly rusty stem bolts with some nice shiny corrosion-resistant titanium ones. I'd taken the steerer tube bolts out before I realised that I'd mislaid my torque wrench. Couldn't find it anywhere! So I just tightened the new ones by hand, and left the old face plate bolts in for now.

On call at the moment so I couldn't go far. I didn't really fancy a Twycrosser again so soon, so I did something a bit different. I went up through Coalville and Belton, up over Swarkestone Bridge and west along my beloved flat A road for a couple of miles. Then I turned back - the tailwind was very pleasant after I performed the U turn - and came back down through Ticknall and Ashby.

Some beautiful views out there. After a long climb going up toward Ticknall from Melbourne, I stopped to take a pic of the view to the east. But as I removed my phone from my pocket, I saw that the view down the hill I'd come up, toward Derby about ten miles away, was even better. So I snapped a pic of that.

I don't think my phone did the view justice, unfortunately. One sunny day I'll take an SLR with me up there, in a backpack.

Extended my ride a bit by taking a detour through Packington and Ibstock, which apart from adding a few miles to the May tally, got me out of climbing Alton Hill. Having already suffered Bastard Hill south of Ticknall, I felt that I deserved that.

Back well before sunset, and a really enjoyable run out. 40.81 miles.

Matt Hancock's press briefing started just after I set off, so I listened on 5 Live. I was quite amused that one of the journos asked a question about "pregnant people". Jenny Harries did not indulge her, and referred consistently to "women" in her reply. And I'd have to say that if you identify as a man and you get pregnant, you probably haven't quite got the hang of the male lifestyle.

I'll have a better look for my torque wrench in the garage tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5325402466

Strava have a challenge to cycle 400kms in May. A very poor target for some on here but a decent one for me. It's meant I've been getting out for evening spins to ensure I reach the total and I'm really enjoying the after work sorties. 40kms this evening in beautiful sunshine. One disadvantage though is that potholes can be tough to spot though in amongst lengthening shadows. No mishaps this evening but a couple of near misses.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Take care Dom. I wont ride in failing light anymore, roads are just too shit and not worth the risk to bike or body

Did a Zwift session called the Honey Badger, named after the creature that simply doesnt stop being tough.

Aptly named!!!
The new songs are an abomination

Thanks to being furloughed so much this year, I've been riding in good daylight on regular roads, so I've got to know all the local potholes. However the council are now on a pothole filling binge and I'm moving out to avoid things which aren't there anymore - although looking at the quality of the repairs they'll soon be back...

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Today was supposed mainly to be dry, which is a bit rare this month. I'm still on call, but half hoped to do a Fondo.

Not long after I'd set off though, I'd decided that I wasn't going to do one. It was spotting with rain, overcast, cold and a bit windy. Not really a Fondo day. And when the rain started to come down fast about 40 minutes later, I'd pretty much decided to keep it to 30 or 40 miles.

I started by heading up north-east through Coalville and Belton, up to Long Whatton then west to Breedon. Then back up near Melbourne and across to Ticknall, before coming back down South. I decided to see if I could avoid Bastard Hill by taking a detour to Hartshorne. I did that and found myself coming through Woodville and Boundary; not often I'm over that way.

I took a right turn at Boundary to explore a bit, through Blackfordby and Shellbrook. At Blackfordby I had a call from our Global Operations Centre and I thought I was going to have to come straight home, but fortunately, over a few MS Team interactions over the next few miles, I was able to establish that my immediate intervention was not necessary. Even better, by this time the sun had come out and conditions had started to warm up considerably  - so I decided to stay out and dry myself and the bike off. I turned right at Packington to add on a Twycrosser.

Annoyingly though the dark clouds came over again, not far from Twycross. Conditions grew very gloomy indeed and the rain came down once more, pretty heavily this time. So from Twycross I came back the most direct way. yet again though conditions brightened and the rain stopped by the time I reached Heather. By this time I'd done nearly 50 miles so I decided to do at least another 12, to clock up a Fondo. I did a bit of the "southbound route".

Of course it started raining again about 5 miles from home, and I had to dry the bike off back at the garage.

Back on 64.27 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5340365764

Very variable and random ride that one, alternating between being quite pleasant in the sun and abject misery in damp clothes in the cold wind, with my cycling glasses pebbled with rain. But I'm pleased to have got a second Fondo in this month; that's 10 this year.

Listened mostly to 5 Live and the Reacher audiobook, which is nearing its conclusion.

Disappointed that Bournemouth, managed by fellow Teesside lad Jonathan Woodgate, lost to Brentford in the Championship play-offs. Got the impression that they'd been robbed by poor officiating on the part of a referee out of his depth.

Back in November 2019, one of my "favourite" climbs was rendered impassable due to a landslide. Now the Derbyshire Roadworks website had it as reopening on the 11th May and it has been showing as open since then. In fact, yesterday evening I found from a Sheffield cycling website that it has reopened to cyclists last Summer.

Of course this meant that the Abney to Great Hucklow Gliding Club climb was back on the menu. A quick pre-ride check on the Derbyshire roadworks site showed it as not being closed. I got to the bottom to be greeted by a ROAD CLOSED sign, "No through road for Vehicles, Bicycles or Pedestrians". OK I thought, it's a minor road, they probably can't be arsed to move the signs, so off I went. There was plenty of vehicular traffic, which whilst it isn't much fun on a single lane climb I took as being a good sign. WRONG. The road is very much closed at the landslip site. However if you have the physique of a Racing Snake and a light bike you can get through. So long as you are prepared to trip over all the piles of stones which are there to rebuild a dry stone wall. It didn't even give me my slowest time up the hill so I was pleased about that - if a bit annoyed by the inconvenience of it all, and banging my arm against the side of a Workman's hut.

After that it was a pleasant swoop down to Hathersage, before setting my best time up the climb to Surprise View, passing a big group of cyclists on the way - eat my wake DeeDahs! Then it was a 15 mile run in to home which I took at over 20mph - thanks to a gentle breeze behind me :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/5340584298/

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

There was an accident at the bottom of our road today, which resulted in the Police closing it one way for about three hours. At the end of our road, unless you are a Bus or a Taxi you have to turn left and then go fully round a roundabout to facilitate  a right turn. Now I can't be sure, but after looking at footage the boy took on his drone, I think a car had tried turning right and got hit by someone else. This manoeuvre is used by lots of the local boy racers - the entitled scum in Beemers go through the bus lane. Anyhoo, when I left for my ride this afternoon I got behind two cars at the junction, the driver in the one in front of me decided to turn right, narrowly avoiding being missed by someone coming from his right "YOU feckING SHITBRAINED WANKER!" was my retort to him, but what's the point? You can't educate pork. I hope when he crashes he just kills himself and not some innocent victim.

Apart from that it was a nice enough ride - apart from a rather fresh southerly breeze - just the 40 miles, but at least I avoided any weather that was too wet. I also beat a segment time that I thought I wouldn't get anywhere close to again, but the fresh southerly breeze was a great boon. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that I was behind the only taxi in the world to be driven at below the speed limit I'd have smashed my previous best rather than taking off a couple of seconds.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5345932628

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering