• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 12, 2013, 00:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wish I'd got round to booking my Summer bike in for a service sooner. My man can't fit it in until May 11th. He's going to sort out my broken spoke on Friday, looking at it the wheel needs some truing, I'm not doing that, it'll end up like father Ted's car...
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

The company I work for has organised a Great Virtual Ride for charity, the idea being that employees in all the various offices worldwide should perform some sort of activity to count towards a particular distance. For the UK it's the distance between Land's End and John O'Groats. Although the idea was for people to do a bit in their spare time through the week and add them up, I put myself down for 100 miles and took today off to do them all in one go.

A light wind was forecast from the NE, and I decided to do Newark and back. I first did that route about a year ago and I believe that before today I'd done it no more than twice, which seems a shame as it's an enjoyable run out. It takes in plenty of villages with shops, and benches and pubs. And it's mostly flat. The disadvantage is that the road surface is a bit scrubby here and there, especially near Newark where it's disgraceful with very deteriorated surfaces patched up with lumpy tarmac applied like giant lumps of dark grey chewing gum. It's also a bit convoluted with lots of turns and junctions. It requires frequent reference to the eTrex.

And to make matters worse I discovered that the track I'd uploaded to the eTrex was over-compressed. I'd shrunk it using a GPX editor to reduce the size. GPX files are pretty small anyway but the old programmer in me likes to have everything at a minimum file and memory size. But in this case I'd overdone it and the subsequent jagged line representing the track didn't follow the actual roads very closely. Like this:

Despite that it was a really nice run out, apart from Newark itself which was a bit busy with traffic. I ended up going right through Newark and exploring a bit, to places called South Muskham and North Muskham. Bought some food at a garage south of Newark on the way back and had a very pleasant lunch, including a strong iced coffee and a Bounty bar.

The return leg seemed easier, with a bit of a tailwind. But the headwind on the outward leg wasn't overly troublesome. The temperature was supposed to be 3C when I left the house this morning but if it was, it was a tolerable 3C, although I'd wrapped up warm. I took off a layer from my legs after about 25 miles and thought I'd probably end up taking off a layer under my jersey as well, but although conditions warmed up nicely in the sun, I didn't need to.

Passed quite a few open pubs with punters in their beer gardens, nice to see. I didn't bother myself. Listened to my most recent Reacher audiobook, Echo Burning, and 5 Live.

Back on 107.84 miles, the eighth Fondo of the year. 237 done this month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5126971439

Very impressive!
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

thats a good ride. 

One day I will do a century again, but treat it as an enjoyable pleasure ride with a stop or two, rather than kicking the arse out of it for 5-6 hours

I think thats what has been lacking in my cycling the last couple of years, the pleasure ride
The new songs are an abomination

Well, the Swallows are back in Derbyshire. Didn't see any on my ride, but they were on the phone wires by the farm next to Barnett's bakery (that was) on the way up to take my dad's shopping. A bird I did see on my ride was a Barn Owl. I live for nearly 58 years without seeing one in the wild then I've seen two this year. It was flying away from me down a road and at first I thought it might have been a light plumaged Buzzard, but it wasn't big enough for that. It then landed in a tree and it was most obviously a Barn Owl looking back at me.

I was back on the Bianchi today after having my broken spoke replaced and wheel trued. Can't say it made me any quicker. Nor did the Rapha shorts which I christened today, but that might have been because I paired them with a long-sleeved Le Col jersey. It was probably slightly too warm for long sleeves - except when going downhill after an uphill slog. I did get to 50+ mph going down Slack lane, but nowhere near hitting 60 as the Strava segment urges. I'm too nesh to go for that.

Managed to overtake another Bianchi rider as well today. I'd have been disappointed if I hadn't, he looked about twenty years older than me and was weighed down by a huge beard. He'd also got more snot dripping from his nose than me. Was it Aqualung?

Still not done a Fondo this year, but have ticked off April's climbing challenge and stuck another 50 miles onto the total.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5144003005/overview

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Just back from a lovely 35-mile ride on the road bikes. Decent pace of Just over 15mph. Nice sunshine....but when are we going to lose that cold wind?
Stopped for a cappuccino and bun about 10 miles from home followed by a beer stop with 3 miles to go. Lovely

Lovely cycling weather today. A light wind coming from the east would normally have suggested a Fondo over in that direction, but since I did one only two weeks ago I didn't really feel like it. Also I'm away next weekend, so spending all day on a bike wouldn't have gone down well. I decided to do about 40.

I had two ideas to do something a bit unusual. The first was to head off in the direction of a TV transmitter that's visible in the distance from the road between Norton and Orton which is part of the "Twycross Bypasser" route. I decided to do that. I thought it would be fun to see if I could get there without consulting a map. But as I approached Orton and it came into view in the distance, I decided that it was probably a bit too distant for the distance I wanted to do today. I headed in that rough direction for a bit anyway, and continued on westward rather than taking the left for Sheepy. I've only ever done that stretch a couple of times and I'm not sure why really, because it's delightful along there. Beautifully quiet and easy to tack on to a Twycross Bypasser.

I'm still not sure where the transmitter is and I decided to leave it for today. Perhaps I'll try it some other time. But for today I decided to embark upon Plan B, which was to do part of the "Dad's Army" route. I call it that because on the only occasion I've done it before, I spent most of the ride listening to old Dad's Army radio shows. So I took a left along a road called Kisses Barn Lane thinking it would take me to Sheepy or thereabouts, but in fact it turned out to be a shortcut to the road I wanted (the B5000). So I rolled along that for a bit, enjoying the sunshine and the ambience of the countryside in spring, then I decided to go exploring for a bit. I followed a sign to a place called Baddesley Ensor. Unfortunately this mostly involved climbing up a hill for about a mile, before I decided I'd had enough and turned back to roll downhill to rejoin the time-honoured Twycrosser route.

I was surprised to see that the pub at Ratcliffe Culey was closed. Quite a spacious beer garden, but all the benches stacked under a shelter and no-one at home. I wondered if it had gone bust, but I've just checked their Facebook page and they intend to open on 17th May. I'd say they've missed out on a fair amount of business this weekend.

Back through Bosworth, Barton, Odstone, Burgoland, Swepstone and Ibstock. Really a very nice run out in delightful weather, glad to have done something a bit different. Back on 42.41 miles. Next time I'm out on a bike I'll most likely be out and about in Teesside.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5149521453

Managed to get my first Fondo of 2021 in today :) It was basically the same ride as last Sunday, but, before getting to Grindleford on the road to Hathersage I took a left turn up to Eyam and through Foolow before dropping back down through Bradwell and Brough and approaching Hathersage via the Hope Valley instead of the Derwent Valley.

Traffic levels were up exponentially on last Sunday. Due to reopened pubs? Lots weren't. Due to better weather - no snow showers - who knows? All I know is is that there were too many close passes by people out in their Wankpanzers - although the worst was from a blue VW van, if I'd flicked out my elbow I'd have touched it. I was thankful that the procession of chavs in their Hot Hatches was going the other way up the Hope Valley.

I think towards the end I was suffering a bit from not having done any 55 mile rides and going straight from about 50 to 62.2 miles as I was cramping up near the end and my left knee was suffering a bit. However this could be down to me checking that my seatpost wasn't stuck and then leaving it 1mm higher up than usual. Anyway, it's got me to over 2,000 miles for the year :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/5150892913/

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Did 66 miler on Saturday PM (was to chilly to go out early, clothing would have meant the second half of the ride would have been very hot work)

Crossed over into Slims territory a fair bit, Bosworth, Barton in the Beans etc

What I noticed is that as soon as you get into Leicestershire, the road surfaces improve dramatically. I was thinking the ride home would be lovely, as it had a following 5/6 mph wind from the East. But then I got to Catton Park (home of Bloodstock festival) and the wind just started swirling and changing (maybe a weather front?) and then from Lichfield to Sutton the roads were just awful. Aside from the holes, we seem to have a lot of tarmac where it has that rough/pitted finish, and by the time I got home my wrists and hands were sore.

I think my next bike will need that dampening tech that some of the better models provide, it comes at a premium but our roads wont get any better, and I am certainly not getting any younger. As you all know I have a bit of an obsession with pace/watts/performance etc, but a shot surface must slow the bike down, due to friction, the wheel constantly hitting rough patches and the sides of holes etc.

Might move to Majorca

Quote from: Jonners on April 19, 2021, 10:18:59 AMDid 66 miler on Saturday PM (was to chilly to go out early, clothing would have meant the second half of the ride would have been very hot work)

Crossed over into Slims territory a fair bit, Bosworth, Barton in the Beans etc

What I noticed is that as soon as you get into Leicestershire, the road surfaces improve dramatically. I was thinking the ride home would be lovely, as it had a following 5/6 mph wind from the East. But then I got to Catton Park (home of Bloodstock festival) and the wind just started swirling and changing (maybe a weather front?) and then from Lichfield to Sutton the roads were just awful. Aside from the holes, we seem to have a lot of tarmac where it has that rough/pitted finish, and by the time I got home my wrists and hands were sore.

I think my next bike will need that dampening tech that some of the better models provide, it comes at a premium but our roads wont get any better, and I am certainly not getting any younger. As you all know I have a bit of an obsession with pace/watts/performance etc, but a shot surface must slow the bike down, due to friction, the wheel constantly hitting rough patches and the sides of holes etc.

Might move to Majorca
Or dare you take a bit of air out of the tyres?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Quote from: Nick on April 19, 2021, 15:13:29 PMOr dare you take a bit of air out of the tyres?
Great question. I switched to latex inners to give me some dampening effect, and binned gatorskins and now ride GT5000's

Problem is the latex do deflate over time, so if I started at 80, I woulf finish a ride at 70, and thats too low. I ride at 100 normally

What width tyres ?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Quote from: Jonners on April 19, 2021, 16:31:04 PMGreat question. I switched to latex inners to give me some dampening effect, and binned gatorskins and now ride GT5000's

Problem is the latex do deflate over time, so if I started at 80, I woulf finish a ride at 70, and thats too low. I ride at 100 normally
Could always try tubeless. They run at lower pressures.

With the state of the roads though I don't think there's anything that'll give a comfortable ride.

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Nice to be able to see your pictures on here at last, Slim.