• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Guitarists - Post Pics/details of your gear

Started by Stewart, May 15, 2005, 00:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've always liked this range of guitars and basses and have been tempted many times to take the plunge and buy their black 4 string bass. It strikes me that it would be a comfortable guitar to play around the home especially with no headstock to knock into things.

Came across this in my FB feed. Bernie Marsden is selling some of his kit and an upcoming guitar auction with over 400 lots. There's some nice stuff there! A nice browse...if you're into guitars

https://bid.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/?page=1&status=2

Hope he's not selling his Sid Poole, that would be a shame.

Not exactly the most ethical of things to do but I've taken a punt on a "Chibson" Les Paul. The other guitarist in my old band had one and it was pretty much an Epiphone made in China with a Gibson logo stuck on it. Fully expecting the electronics and the hardware to be pretty low grade so the first thing I'll do with it is change out the machine heads and the pickups to see how that changes things up. I'm going to use it more as a project guitar to hone my skills at replacing various parts of a guitar without having to bastardise any of my proper ones
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Quote from: Richard_2112 on February 28, 2021, 04:41:13 AMNot exactly the most ethical of things to do but I've taken a punt on a "Chibson" Les Paul. The other guitarist in my old band had one and it was pretty much an Epiphone made in China with a Gibson logo stuck on it. Fully expecting the electronics and the hardware to be pretty low grade so the first thing I'll do with it is change out the machine heads and the pickups to see how that changes things up. I'm going to use it more as a project guitar to hone my skills at replacing various parts of a guitar without having to bastardise any of my proper ones
Fair enough - as I understand it, Chibson's are a punt insofar as they could be fairly good or very bad.

Here's the thing: the main guitar player in our covers band has been using an Epi Les Paul as his main guitar for years. He slams it through a Marshall MG half-stack and manages to make it sound like a USA Gibson going through the TSL Marshall I use.  For a fifth of the cost.

But then, when you play charity festivals and a football stadium, and virtually everyone's leathered, who's bothered about the letters on your headstock?  :-\ :) ;)
The keys to happiness

I've just noticed that Guitar Guitar are selling a Fender Custom Shop George Harrison Strat at £23,099. Who buys these guitars?

February 28, 2021, 19:04:37 PM #351 Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 19:17:03 PM by DavidL
Quote from: Anna Woriboutchu on February 28, 2021, 15:50:07 PMIf I thought it might arrive safely, I would consider a Geddy double neck 4080 lookalike, just to hang on the wall, as I think it might be unplayable.
The bass part is playable but the twelve-string only works for a couple of bars....and only on one song. Looks good though 😁😉

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 28, 2021, 05:21:10 AMHere's the thing: the main guitar player in our covers band has been using an Epi Les Paul as his main guitar for years.
My primary guitar is still that Epiphone Les Paul with the Floyd Rose that I gigged with you circa 2013. I customised it with some EMG passive pickups and it's still the best and most versatile guitar I've ever owned. The Mrs bought me an absolutely gorgeous PRS SE for my birthday last year that I haven't had chance to gig yet, but it also has a Floyd Rose so I'm stuck with one tuning without it being a major faff. The Chibson is so I can add some variety to the tunings I can muck about with while writing as sadly I don't have £800 for the level of Epiphone that I'd want, and an actual Gibson is a pipe dream at the prices they're currently going for!
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

I bought myself this for some added jazz mojo a few weeks ago

Really very impressed by the build quality, it's immaculate. Lovely mirror-smooth ebony fingerboard especially. If I wanted another Les Paul I'd buy a Tokai or an Epi.

Quote from: Richard_2112 on February 28, 2021, 04:41:13 AMNot exactly the most ethical of things to do but I've taken a punt on a "Chibson" Les Paul. The other guitarist in my old band had one and it was pretty much an Epiphone made in China with a Gibson logo stuck on it. Fully expecting the electronics and the hardware to be pretty low grade so the first thing I'll do with it is change out the machine heads and the pickups to see how that changes things up. I'm going to use it more as a project guitar to hone my skills at replacing various parts of a guitar without having to bastardise any of my proper ones
4 months later and it's finally here! First impressions are it's not too shabby. The silver isn't as bright as I thought it was going to be, but it feels like an Epiphone. The selector switch is missing a cap and the pickups sound slightly microphonic (they pick up all the noise my strap makes when it moves around the peg) so they're first thing I'll get changed. I've gone for some EMG H4s and they should be arriving from the States in a month or so.

I think I can feel a Les Paul coming on.

For the same money I could get a PRS Singlecut that would be more versatile and be better made, but when I was a kid I always lusted after a sunburst Les Paul. Even though I have a luthier-made replica that not even a custom shop Gibson is likely to hold a candle to, there's a certain itch to own a Gibson Les Paul.

A well-known guitar player and his Epiphone