Selling Guitar Experience(s)?

Started by Anna Woriboutchu, May 04, 2021, 13:30:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Woriboutchu

I think the time has come for me to admit defeat with six string guitars, to focus on playing (and buying) only basses from now on. I used to feel a certain amount of sentimentality about instruments I've owned in the past and have a couple of regrets over instruments I have parted with before now, but recent experiences have taught me that they are only things, and that it's probably only just wasteful to have them sitting in cases in showroom condition when they could be being used properly by someone with the talent to exploit their potential. However, whenever I have tried to sell anything online of late I end up receiving only crank or scam messages. I've had a look at a guitar auction site (based in Bath) and might consider this as a better route to go. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences when selling items? I have three guitars and an anniversary Marshall 0.1 watt combo which I'd like to move on. I think the Marshall is quite collectible.

Matt2112

May 04, 2021, 14:11:39 pm #1 Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 22:24:31 pm by Matt2112
What guitars do you have in particular, Anna?

I must say I've only ever had good experiences buying or selling guitars/amps; "folks are basically decent", it seems to me, though I have had time-wasting idiots when I've listed other things.  It's the luck of the draw I suppose.
The keys to happiness

Anna Woriboutchu

I think the ones I might move on are;

Gibson Les Paul Less Plus -Desert Burst

Epiphone Dot Royale - Pearl White (it was the closest to Alex's that I could afford)

Burns Brian May Red Special

The amp and maybe a Roland FA-06 (curse you Geddy Lee for my love of your 80's music).

They're all lovely in their own way and are in perfect condition and I should probably hold onto them, but the basses I want to buy are so expensive now that I should really try to recoup some of their outlay.

Why didn't I buy a Rickenbacker 4003 years ago? They were always pricey, but not at this prohibitive US Dollar exchange rate level. I don't suppose Sterling will do anything exciting soon so I'll probably have to bite the bullet.

Matt2112

May 04, 2021, 22:32:06 pm #3 Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 22:34:34 pm by Matt2112
Very nice gear there. :)

A Les Paul in desert burst has always been on my "one day..." list.

As things stand though it's probably lower in the order of priorities than a Charvel So Cal and a family holiday to a Greek island. ;)
The keys to happiness

Anna Woriboutchu

Of all the more metal type guitars the So Cal is probably my favourite. Charnel is very underrated I think. The Less Plus probably has a limited appeal for Gibson lovers. It has the wider 2015 neck, a thinner body and the auto tuners that are not to everyone's taste. Not much of a sales pitch I know. I wish I was brave enough to go on holiday though. I still haven't plucked up the courage for a haircut yet.

Slim

I've sold a few guitars over the years on eBay - it's always worked out OK for me. I need to cull the herd a bit again, actually. I like all of them but too many is too many.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.