Snakes and Arrows-Happy Birthday May1st

Started by Jonners, April 30, 2021, 10:06:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Woriboutchu

Quote from: Slim on May 01, 2021, 13:48:58 pmWell, it comes to 38 minutes, 48 seconds - which is longer than Permanent Waves.
Sorry, it was a low-ball effort indicating that there was only half an album of good enough tracks on the list. However, when it comes to Rush music, songs that I initially did not consider that great will suddenly come to mind and I can't wait to have another listen. I quite like it when they have that new lease of life and I end up appreciating them a bit more.

Slim

I remember that phenomenon myself, although I haven't experienced it since the '80s,
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Fishy

My Snakes for Echo would be

Far Cry
Driven
Virtuality
Limbo
TMMB
Malignant Narcissism
Roll Away The Stone
We Hold On

coming in around the 38/39 minutes mark..
From the Land of Honest Men.

DavidL

Quote from: Fishy on May 02, 2021, 12:06:00 pmMy Snakes for Echo would be

Far Cry
Driven
Virtuality
Limbo
TMMB
Malignant Narcissism
Roll Away The Stone
We Hold On

coming in around the 38/39 minutes mark..
Quite a tasty selection there but three instrumentals?

Fishy

Quote from: DavidL on May 02, 2021, 13:37:18 pmQuite a tasty selection there but three instrumentals?
Yes less singing and shoe- horned lyrics has got to be a good thing
From the Land of Honest Men.

DavidL

Quote from: captainkurtz on April 30, 2021, 11:40:29 amBravest face is the other stinker.
Indeed. I was trying to remember which forgettable song has the unforgettable lyric: "on the smoothest ride there's a squeaky wheel"
Dreadful stuff

Jonners

If you look back at the original SA thread on release, its interesting how on initial impact, there was quite a lot of general positivity.

Obviously not a laster though as a record, but probably shows how flawed VT was if that was the reaction
The new songs are an abomination

DavidL

Quote from: Jonners on May 04, 2021, 15:30:56 pmIf you look back at the original SA thread on release, its interesting how on initial impact, there was quite a lot of general positivity.

Obviously not a laster though as a record, but probably shows how flawed VT was if that was the reaction
I was reasonably positive about it on release. Looking back I think I overestimated the quality of the better songs but always thought it was too long and they could've ditched the stinkers to improve the album as a whole.
I would now much rather listen to VT than S&A, tbh

Jonners

As a few have said, it was that Hemispheres Chord which got us all wetting our pants early doors.

One swallow does not make a summer though.....

pxr5

Regarding Snakes and Arrows. A little before the Clockwork Angels tour I made up a USB disk with all the tracks that had been played during the North America element - this was for my wife who joined me at Manchester Arena in 2013. She hadn't really heard any Rush, apart for the bits she'd overheard when I was playing them. Of all those songs that she played in her car on the daily commute her favourite was Far Cry. I was surprised - I like the song, but certainly not one of my favourites.

Slim

Quote from: Jonners on May 04, 2021, 15:30:56 pmIf you look back at the original SA thread on release, its interesting how on initial impact, there was quite a lot of general positivity.

Yes there was a lot of needy fanboi nonsense back in those days, glad that's all gone now.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Matt2112

I've just looked down S&A's track list and I think at least 7 of the 13 are skippable - and I'm a fanboi!
The keys to happiness

Anna Woriboutchu

Although I've been involved in this thread, I think I have to stop criticising Rush material. I've loved this band since the 70's (been obsessed is probably more accurate) and despite trying to create my own music for much of that time, I don't think I've ever managed to produce anything approaching the quality of even one of their "worst" songs. It must just be for me that writing or talking about Rush in a critical way is better than accepting that it is over and not discussing them at all. It just feels a bit disrespectful sometimes.

Jonners

I think they would find it very strange that as artists people were not able to be critical (remember being a critic can be bad or good, offering a critique)

It certainly isnt disrespectful.

Matt2112

Even the songs that don't quite work for whatever reason(s) are usually noble failures.

The few real, proper clunkers can be forgiven for a) presumably being created in good faith and b) being overwhelmingly outnumbered by genuine masterpieces.

I never think there is actual malice intended when folk are even brutally critical - it ultimately comes from a good place, it seems to me.
The keys to happiness