• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Seasonal TV/Home cinema/Hi-fi etc bargains

Started by Matt2112, November 30, 2020, 17:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

November 30, 2020, 17:14:37 PM Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 17:16:51 PM by Matt2112
I've been flirting with the idea of upgrading from my trusty 55" Samsung Smart TV to a 65" QLED for months and months but always seem to resist taking the plunge.

However, my resolve is currently being sorely tested as a mid-range model is now available for under a grand!

Aaaaaargh!!!  :-\
The keys to happiness

Tempted by an LG oled 55", if only there was something decent to watch on tv.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

December 02, 2020, 20:38:23 PM #2 Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 20:57:15 PM by Bisto
Picked up a Sony KD75XH9005BU 75" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Google Assistant with a SONY - UBP-X800M2 Smart 4K Ultra HD 3D Blu-ray Player and a SONY - HT-ZF9 3.1 Wireless Cinematic Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos.....it's the first tv I've bought in over 10 years...and it will probably be another 10 before I think about buying another....providing I'm still drawing breath by then.

I saved about £500 and I'm hoping I'll also get back a few more through "Topcashback"....if it tracks.
Better looking than your average Tory Cabinet Minister

Quote from: Nick on December 01, 2020, 20:36:31 PMTempted by an LG oled 55", if only there was something decent to watch on tv.
You're so right on that last point!  That's why I like renting films on blu-ray. :)  I must admit I've been looking at the LG's CX and BX range OLEDs as well; the Samsung QLEDs are a tad more keenly priced however.

In any case, I think I've overcome my latest urge, mainly because small children have the temerity to expect Xmas presents.

;)
The keys to happiness

Quote from: Bisto on December 02, 2020, 20:38:23 PMPicked up a Sony KD75XH9005BU 75" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Google Assistant with a SONY - UBP-X800M2 Smart 4K Ultra HD 3D Blu-ray Player and a SONY - HT-ZF9 3.1 Wireless Cinematic Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos.....it's the first tv I've bought in over 10 years...and it will probably be another 10 before I think about buying another....providing I'm still drawing breath by then.

I saved about £500 and I'm hoping I'll also get back a few more through "Topcashback"....if it tracks.
Excellent Choice  8)

A handy price checker site :-

https://www.pricerunner.com/

Also if using Amazon you can often get a decent deal on their "Warehouse" platform which are basically nearly new or damaged box products.

Quote from: The Letter R on December 09, 2020, 10:45:01 AMExcellent Choice  8)
Bumping the share price in my own small way, you're welcome!
Better looking than your average Tory Cabinet Minister

December 09, 2020, 14:10:57 PM #7 Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 14:13:41 PM by DavidL
I'm looking for two new TVs at the moment. I fancy a 49" Samsung QLED (QE49Q80T) for home and a 43" Panasonic LED (43HX600BZ) for my mum. At the moment the Samsung is around £999 (John Lewis, Currys) although a couple if online retailers are offering it for around £800. I don't really want to take the chance with a little known retailer, although Currys say they will price match with online sellers.

The Panasonic is just over £500 at most places. I will probably wait until the New Year to see if the prices come down before I commit. Anyone have any thoughts, especially on the Samsung?

Don't forget topcashback for a few quid back as well.

Well, I've just spent money I haven't got on something I don't need.
I have/had a 13 year old 37" Panasonic Plasma TV which still had a lovely picture, but, at it's age I was expecting something to go at any minute. 

Now Plasmas are now obsolete and whenever I've been looking at tellys in the shops, the closest I've seen to Plasma quality was OLED but they were a bit pricy. However I said if they came down below a grand I might invest. So, last weekend an unbidden internet advert brought up this for £998

Panasonic TX-55HZ980B (2020) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55 inch with Freeview Play & Dolby Atmos, Black at John Lewis & Partners

I indulged. People moan about all sorts of things about it - no HDMI 2.1, judder, crap remote - but for me it does. Mrs S likes it, so that's the main thing.

I now know that a 55" is as big as we can go in our house - Mrs S was hoping it might necessitate an extension - and the HD picture is superb, I recommend. I don't have brand loyalty, but I do like Panasonic.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on May 15, 2021, 22:33:14 PMWell, I've just spent money I haven't got on something I don't need.
I have/had a 13 year old 37" Panasonic Plasma TV which still had a lovely picture, but, at it's age I was expecting something to go at any minute.

Now Plasmas are now obsolete and whenever I've been looking at tellys in the shops, the closest I've seen to Plasma quality was OLED but they were a bit pricy. However I said if they came down below a grand I might invest. So, last weekend an unbidden internet advert brought up this for £998

Panasonic TX-55HZ980B (2020) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55 inch with Freeview Play & Dolby Atmos, Black at John Lewis & Partners

I indulged. People moan about all sorts of things about it - no HDMI 2.1, judder, crap remote - but for me it does. Mrs S likes it, so that's the main thing.

I now know that a 55" is as big as we can go in our house - Mrs S was hoping it might necessitate an extension - and the HD picture is superb, I recommend. I don't have brand loyalty, but I do like Panasonic.
We've got a 37" Panasonic Plasma, probably around the same age as yours and it is a fine TV. Of course, by today's standards it's a 'bit of a beast' and it supplements the central heating quite well but it will probably go on for years - it was a great buy.
The only real reason for an upgrade was to get a 'smart' TV so we can access t'interweb. To be honest, it's gone on the backburner now. I did my researh weeks ago and decided that one of the Sony OLEDs was the one to go for, I think it was around 48" ("compact screen"!) but I've forgotten the model, price and everything about it.
We were close to making an alternative spend on.........a treadmill of all things but like the telly, I've gone off the boil on that too after the wife has to make room to work from home.
I don't think you can go too far wrong with Panasonic

I've still got a 46" Sony Bravia that cost 1K in 2009. I've often thought of upgrading, but the picture is still great and I'm not interested in the online features of TVs, so I'll keep this one until it goes bust.

I have been plagued with triggerfingeritis. Have been eyeing up the LG oled cx 55" for months and months and it's down to £1200, just can bring myself to splash the cash as our tv is ok. I will need a new stand and a speaker bar bracket as well, I have a sonos beam and 2 x Sonos play1's as satellites.

Quote from: Nick on May 16, 2021, 15:41:39 PMI have been plagued with triggerfingeritis. Have been eyeing up the LG oled cx 55" for months and months and it's down to £1200, just can bring myself to splash the cash as our tv is ok. I will need a new stand and a speaker bar bracket as well, I have a sonos beam and 2 x Sonos play1's as satellites.
Do it. Do it. Do it. That's get the TV not top yourself.

My telly was OK, but it was only HD ready and not full HD so I could at least justify it on now being more than full HD. HD looks better on the new one though, although SD, not surprisingly looked better on the Plasma.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Omg I actually pulled the trigger on it, that's Sunday sorted.