• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Annoyance of the Day - 69

Started by Dixkot, August 19, 2014, 11:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteHaving a nightmare with my poor dog at the moment. She had a lump removed from her back leg on the 8th, and the stapling for the scar on her skin pulled apart a couple of times, so they decided to treat it as an open wound, and put some threads around the wound so they could put dressings on it, cover it, and then secure the cover by threading a thin bandage through the loops. The trouble is we have to go and have the dressing changed every 3-4 days, and it must drive the poor dog mad at times as she tries to rub it against anything she can see. She has to wear a buster collar and an inflatable ring to stop her from getting at it, but I noticed that one of the loops that they had sewed in to her skin had broken on Monday night, and the dressing had worked its way out this morning. Got to take her in again at 4-20 today. At least she isn't in pain now, but I'm having to sleep in the lounge with her as she can't be trusted to be left on her own, so I'm not exactly getting too much sleep just lately. Costing me a small fortune as well, over a grand and counting at the moment.
Been there, done it. I feel for you, although our wise decision to get Bramble insured meant that it was never too hard on the bank balance. Hope things improve quickly.....for you and Maple

QuoteHaving a nightmare with my poor dog at the moment. She had a lump removed from her back leg on the 8th, and the stapling for the scar on her skin pulled apart a couple of times, so they decided to treat it as an open wound, and put some threads around the wound so they could put dressings on it, cover it, and then secure the cover by threading a thin bandage through the loops. The trouble is we have to go and have the dressing changed every 3-4 days, and it must drive the poor dog mad at times as she tries to rub it against anything she can see. She has to wear a buster collar and an inflatable ring to stop her from getting at it, but I noticed that one of the loops that they had sewed in to her skin had broken on Monday night, and the dressing had worked its way out this morning. Got to take her in again at 4-20 today. At least she isn't in pain now, but I'm having to sleep in the lounge with her as she can't be trusted to be left on her own, so I'm not exactly getting too much sleep just lately. Costing me a small fortune as well, over a grand and counting at the moment.
I feel for you mate, poor Mabel....if only you could make her understand what's happening and why....poor girl 😞 and poor you, missing sleep over several nights, especially in this heat, is completely knackering... Maybe you should do some sums and work out whether you'd be better off with a Pet Insurance plan?
Better looking than your average Tory Cabinet Minister

July 21, 2021, 19:49:55 PM #3167 Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 20:22:59 PM by Matt2112
I pay about £20/month for our dog's insurance. I haven't had to make a claim in the 7 years he's been with us and sometimes I wonder if I should bother renewing.  Rob and Maple's misfortunes have put a stop to that! :-\
The keys to happiness

Springer Spaniels need insurance, I can vouch for that ;D

GP's who won't prescribe antibiotics for a raging throat infection and whoever it was from Big Pharma that was responsible for Tyrozets throat lozenges being withdrawn and banned....c***s!

Didn't know they had been banned, they were the best.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

QuoteI feel for you mate, poor Mabel....if only you could make her understand what's happening and why....poor girl 😞 and poor you, missing sleep over several nights, especially in this heat, is completely knackering... Maybe you should do some sums and work out whether you'd be better off with a Pet Insurance plan?

Actually had a bit more sleep last night mate. I rigged her lead up under a small sturdy coffee table we have, and put her bed close to it. This stopped her from wandering about, which is what keeps me awake. Got another appointment to have her dressing changed again on Saturday morning, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have to go tomorrow, as another one of the stitches that they put into her leg to hold the dressing on has come off, so I don't know if it will last. In cases of emergency, I've got some coverings rigged up that I made from some of Alicia's old tights, and at least these do the trick of covering her leg until the next trip to the vet!

QuoteBeen there, done it. I feel for you, although our wise decision to get Bramble insured meant that it was never too hard on the bank balance. Hope things improve quickly.....for you and Maple

It's not nice to keep having to shell money out mate, but it's the constant worry of trying to stop her rubbing the covering against things, which is what causes it to come off. 3 of the stitches that they put in to hold the covering on have now Brome, so I don't know if they will have to put some more in, which would mean more expense. The vets have assured me though that the wound is healing very nice. Hopefully we've got some light at the end of the tunnel from this very stressful time.

QuoteI pay about £20/month for our dog's insurance. I haven't had to make a claim in the 7 years he's been with us and sometimes I wonder if I should bother renewing.  Rob and Maple's misfortunes have put a stop to that! :-\
If I ever had another dog, I would definitely have insurance mate!

QuoteIt's not nice to keep having to shell money out mate, but it's the constant worry of trying to stop her rubbing the covering against things, which is what causes it to come off. 3 of the stitches that they put in to hold the covering on have now Brome, so I don't know if they will have to put some more in, which would mean more expense. The vets have assured me though that the wound is healing very nice. Hopefully we've got some light at the end of the tunnel from this very stressful time.

That was always the issue when Bramble had a procedure.....keeping her away from it. We started out with a fairly modest  Buster collar but by the end we had a full set! The best was the inflatable collar, that worked well. One time she had to wear a 'babygro' so she couldn't get at a wound! She was very good at pulling dressings off and I remember nights spent with her trying to distract her from her task. There were some areas where even a collar would not work.

Still, even though an absolute pain at times, we miss her terribly. Be a while though before we put ourselves through that again but I'm sure we will at some point  ;D

QuoteDidn't know they had been banned, they were the best.
Yes they were..... 

Those who know what's best for us
Must rise and us from ourselves....

Especially when it stops them from making more money out of us.

QuoteThat was always the issue when Bramble had a procedure.....keeping her away from it. We started out with a fairly modest  Buster collar but by the end we had a full set! The best was the inflatable collar, that worked well. One time she had to wear a 'babygro' so she couldn't get at a wound! She was very good at pulling dressings off and I remember nights spent with her trying to distract her from her task. There were some areas where even a collar would not work.

Still, even though an absolute pain at times, we miss her terribly. Be a while though before we put ourselves through that again but I'm sure we will at some point  ;D
You know what I'm going through then mate! Since she had the inflatable collar as well as the buster collar, she hasn't got at the dressing to my knowledge. The problem is when she keeps spinning around and trying to rub it against everything. It's probably driving her mad though, poor thing. Had a rough night with her last night though. Because I had her lead on to stop her wandering around, she couldn't let me know that she wanted to go out, and was sick on the carpet, so I was scrubbing that up after midnight. Later on I noticed that her dressing was hanging off again, so I had to rig up another one of my temporary old tight coverings for her leg. One good sign though was the wound definitely seems to be drying up now. Off to the vets again in an hour to see what they can do. I wouldn't mind them sedating her again to repair the stitches for the dressing holder, just to give us some peace of mind. I know it's more expense, but I don't care now as I'm taking out some tax free cash from my pension pot for some home improvements, and have allowed some more for vets fees!