• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc #17

Started by Dixkot, September 30, 2013, 11:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteSweet Tooth - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12809988/  I really wasn't sure about this based on its storyline (a hybrid boy/deer living in a post virus world). In fact it's rather good. Great acting and characters, with a really good plot, set in a future world where most humans have been wiped out by a deadly virus. Only 2 episodes in so far, but very promising and really looking forward to how it plays out. 9/10 thus far.
So many things to see, and so little time. That is on my hit list after seeing the trailer. More so after your words of praise.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Finished Sweet Tooth last night. It remained excellent all the way through with I'm sure, more to come. The main child actor was outstanding. 9/10 for series 1.

Hail, Caesar!

The Coen Brothers both satirise and write a love letter to Hollywood at the same time.

A quirky comedy of the style only they could pull off - hugely entertaining.
The keys to happiness

The Tomorrow War - I was really looking forward to this based on the story line and the trailers. OK, the good: spectacular action scenes and fantastic CGI (some of the best I've seen). The bad: pretty much everything else. The story is woeful, the acting is by numbers and it's a cliché ridden 2 hours and 18 minutes mess. I can forgive the fist hour as it's the build up, but the second half is dire and makes one wonder how much they pay writers these days. Maybe if they'd invested in a decent script instead of letting the techies run the show it may have (should have) been great. 4/10 (and those 4 are for the CGI and action only). A shame.

Loki - What you'd expect really, but the story in this marvel series actually seems quite good. Tom Hiddleston revels in the part and he has some great lines to deliver. I'm not sure about Owen Wilson's character though. The series starts with the scene from Avengers where Loki nips off with the tesseract and is duly arrested for crimes against time. 2 episodes in out of 6. 8/10 so far.

QuoteLoki - What you'd expect really, but the story in this marvel series actually seems quite good. Tom Hiddleston revels in the part and he has some great lines to deliver. I'm not sure about Owen Wilson's character though. The series starts with the scene from Avengers where Loki nips off with the tesseract and is duly arrested for crimes against time. 2 episodes in out of 6. 8/10 so far.
Its hard work at times, but worth sticking with, There is a very funny episode cming up, either 4 or 5 where they are stranded on a world with lots of different Loki variants. 
The new songs are an abomination

Two programmes on the Kinks I recorded from Sky Arts. Echoes explored arguably their finest album, '...Village Green Preservation Society' and Icons, a 30 min run through of their career. Fascinating input from Weller, Noel Gallagher, Andy Partridge and Graham Coxon...who have all been greatly influenced by the band. 
It often takes the views of other musicians to help one to really appreciate the genius of artists that have completely passed you by. Love shows like this. Underrated but hugely influential band. Could probably be cited as the band that introduced the 'heavy metal' sound to the world

All of those artists are unmistakably English....all. talented in thier own ways, and no doubt influential in their own right, but I'd struggle to name as many of their songs as I could the Kinks.....and I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a big fan of theirs.....not that I have anything against them either
Better looking than your average Tory Cabinet Minister

QuoteAll of those artists are unmistakably English....all. talented in thier own ways, and no doubt influential in their own right, but I'd struggle to name as many of their songs as I could the Kinks.....and I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a big fan of theirs.....not that I have anything against them either
What I found surprising is the number of songs I've heard many times......are by the Kinks!

Yeah there are loads. 

Pretty sure the vast majority of folk in their late 50's to 60's know these; 

Dedicated Follower of Fashion, Village Green Preservation Society, Days, Waterloo Sunset, Lola, Ape-man, You Really got me, All day and all of the Night, Stop your sobbing, I go to Sleep, David Watts 

and I'd guess if you played them the following songs most would recognise at least the chorus

Set me free, Dead end Street, Come Dancing, See my friends
Better looking than your average Tory Cabinet Minister

QuoteYeah there are loads.

Pretty sure the vast majority of folk in their late 50's to 60's know these;

Dedicated Follower of Fashion, Village Green Preservation Society, Days, Waterloo Sunset, Lola, Ape-man, You Really got me, All day and all of the Night, Stop your sobbing, I go to Sleep, David Watts

and I'd guess if you played them the following songs most would recognise at least the chorus

Set me free, Dead end Street, Come Dancing, See my friends
One thing I find really interesting is the diversity to be found in that list - incredible

All done with Loki now - only 6 episodes. There has to be another series with the way it ended. I'll stick with my original 8/10 rating from earlier. Enjoyable.

Fancied a movie tonight, so a bit of a random choice - Till Death with Megan Fox https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11804152/. A numbingly dull start gets more exciting at a remote lake house. From there it's the odd jumpy moment leading to a typical finale. It's not as bad as it could have been and you can tell some effort went into making it. Megan Fox has the acting ability of a plank though. 6/10

Amores Perros

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's "Mexican Pulp Fiction"; a long haul at 133 minutes but little of it is wasted. Good.
The keys to happiness