Star Wars Battlefront (PC) query

Started by Neillwith2Ls, November 03, 2004, 17:42:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Neillwith2Ls

I bought Star Wars Battlefront recently, and tried installing it on my Pentium 4, 2.5Ghz, 80 GB HD system last night. The game installed OK, and I was able to navigate through the opening menus with no problems.

However when I actually enter the game itself, starting with the mission status screen (with a picture of the stormtrooper/Clonetrooper you're playing) the whole screen nearly locks up. The graphics and sound are all jerky and jumpy, running slow, my mouse pointer gets stuck, and it takes me forever to call up the pause menu to exit the screen and jump back a step. Once I've done that, everything's OK again; sound, graphics and mouse navigation all fine.

I've run all sorts of diagnostics, system checks etc that come in the game's Troubleshooter guide and Readme file, and everything checks out OK. I've got a compatible graphics card, sound card and my DirectX is up to date.

Are there any tech-heads out there who can offer any help/advice, or do I need to return this to the shop? :-/

Cheers
17/04/92 - Wembley Arena, London
08/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
09/09/04 - Wembley Arena, London
11/09/04 - NEC, Birmingham
24/05/13 - O2 Arena, London

- 'Decreasing Circles' - Geist (Decreasing Circles, 2006)

Reg

I've just had a quick scoot around, and I guess that you have an ATI graphics card?

As this is what the vast majority of people who have problems are complaining about.

Two things you could try are the following:

1.  Get the latest Battlefront patch from LucasArts (v1.01).
2.  IF you have EAX turned on in hardware in the game, then turn it off - you'll have to find out about this yourself.
3.  Try changing the resolution up or down.
4.  If you haven't already done so, then download and install the latest drivers for you graphics card and sound card.
5.  If you have a non-standard mouse which has its own drivers, then get the latest drivers for this, too.

Depending on where you bought the game, you may have trouble taking it back.  If somewhere like PC World, they require proof that you have contacted the developer's support people - so ensure you DO contact them, and keep the e-mails.

If you bought it from GAME, you can take it back within 10 days for a full refund, no questions asked.  So this is where I usually buy my stuff.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Neillwith2Ls

Cheers for the advice Reg.

I've already installed the patch from LucasArts (Battlefront1_01.exe), fiddled with the video settings in the game (turned it down to 800x600, switched off all the shadows etc), and checked my drivers. All seem to be telling me it's OK :-/

I've fired off an email to the support guys last night, containing syschk.txt and dxdiag.txt diagnostic reports, so I guess I should wait and see what they suggest before returning it to Virgin.

Stewart

What graphics card have you got Neill ?

Neillwith2Ls

I'll check it out when I get in Stew - from browsing some LucasArts support boards, it may mean I need to update my driver I take it? :-/

Neillwith2Ls

All sorted now Stew/Reg. I had an NVIDIA GeForce MX440 which, although told me was up-to-date driver-wise, was causing the problem. I went to the NVIDIA website, and installed the latest (July 2004) drivers for XP, sorted :)

I spent 3 hours last night blasting Ewoks on Endor ;D

Reg

QuoteAll sorted now Stew/Reg. I had an NVIDIA GeForce MX440 which, although told me was up-to-date driver-wise, was causing the problem. I went to the NVIDIA website, and installed the latest (July 2004) drivers for XP, sorted :)

I spent 3 hours last night blasting Ewoks on Endor ;D
Great news Neill.

Blasting Ewoks on Endor.  Now that does sound like fun.  They should use that in their advertising!  
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Neillwith2Ls

Great news Neill.

Blasting Ewoks on Endor.