Skype - voice over IP

Started by Slim, September 22, 2004, 23:54:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

September 22, 2004, 23:54:00 pm Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 23:54:31 pm by Slim
Anyone tried Skype?  For those who haven't heard of it, it's essentially an Internet phone service - very much like Yahoo IM with voice, but you can also make calls to standard telephones "anywhere in the world at local rates", allegedly.

Bez

I'd be interested to understand how they cope with guranteeing voice traffic priority over the internet ! Its difficult enough over a private network...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Slim

As far as I know it doesn't get priority, it's just UDP fired at a particular port.  However although I haven't tried Skype, voice over IP in general can work quite well - Yahoo voice chat works quite acceptably even when speaking to someone with a dialup.

Jonno

Its the bloke that wrote Kazaa that started Skype if I'm not mistaken.
If smoking cures fish how come it kills people?

Eya

A couple of years ago I used to work in a company that  both provided and used voip , not the one  you named, though. I even considered I'd have one home, but for me it only would have worked if I had had more  calls abroad.

And nowadays I  prefer  iChat AV  (live chat) when talking to my mates ...

Roberts_in_Rio

Used Callserve when I was working in India last year, seemed to work really well, calls to the uk were about 5p per minute. :o

Henk

Tried it once, but it worked really good !

Chris Quartly

QuoteTried it once, but it worked really good !

me too, it's a great program but I stopped using it because for some reason it doesn't work on Carrie's machine, tried all sorts of programs but we can never seem to get something working on both!
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Ashley

me too, it's a great program but I stopped using it because for some reason it doesn't work on Carrie's machine, tried all sorts of programs but we can never seem to get something working on both!

I take it your side works ok then?  ;)

roll the bones

It works great!  I've only used it to talk online to online to my parents in another state.  I know people who have used it to call regular phone lines and they have also had nothing but excellent results.
"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap."
-- Neil Peart