AAAAAAAAARGHHHH Not fair!!!!!

Started by Reg, October 05, 2002, 18:29:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Reg

Not fair indeed.

Finally, the weekend that Unreal Tournament: 2003 is released and where am I?

In bloody Poland, working.  Is it out in Poland?  Is it f***.

Bummer.

The good news however, is that whilst looking for the game last night, I got Bon Jovi's new album, which isn't out until October 8th.  Ooh, there's clever then.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Stewart

Ahhh yer a net gamer :-)

I still dabble with Q3, I prefer it over Unreal based games...

Reg

As the bowl of Aspidistras said in Hitchhikers:

Oh No, Not Again.

Not the old Q3/UT argument.

My four-penny worth goes like this.

This applies to the games AS RELEASED in the box to compare like for like.

The ONLY, and repeat ONLY thing, I think, that Q3 has to offer is pure, speed based, deathmatch.  If that's your bag, then Q3 is King.  Oh yeah, and some nice special effects.  But drab surroundings.  Q3A:Team Arena added some game types that really should have been in the original, but not much else.

UT has much more to offer.  More game styles (domination, assault etc., compared to Q3's DM and CTF (or were there more, but anyway, at least double the game styles in UT).

In fact, Q3A + Q3:Team Arena = UT, sort of.

Then the weapons.  UT rules, especially with the alternate fire mode.

Bots, what Bots?  

UT Bots: much more configurable than Q3.  Q3 Bots - either so hard that they don't miss, or too pussy.

UT mutators.  Instagib.  Rocks.  Big style.  Combine with zero-gravity on the Phobos level with about 8 or so players and you have delirious happiness and madness.  MY fave level and mutator combination of any multi-player game.

You will remember that Instagib is one of the first things that the Q3 modders took on board.

Voices/taunts.  Q3 has no voices, just text.  Don't know about you, but Q3 is so fast I ain't got time to READ taunts. UT rocks with voices. "Medic", "This is my house", etc.

Now then, let me just say that Quake I is probably my favourite computer game ever.  Things went drastically downhill with QII.  And Unreal I the game lacked a lot - looked pretty, but gameplay lacked.

All said and done, I PREFER UT to Q3.  But, I still play Q3 now and then.  Depends who I'm playing with don't it.

How many times have I said I wouldn't get into this argument.

And a mate who's got the UT:2003 demo says its more cartoony now, like Q3, but we'll have to wait and see won't we.

Ooh, I've got UT on my lappie haven't I?  Off for a quick blast of Phobos.

See ya.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Reg

First Blood!

Double Kill!

Dominating!

And Stay Down!

You gotta love it.

Chris Quartly

Counterstrike is the game for me  ;D

Though I can't wait for the new Championship Manager game  :D
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Stewart

Hmmm, I played Soldier of Fortume for a LONG time, mainly as I was the project leader for the Dreamcast version of it :-)

SoF1 used the Quake2 engine, and SoF2 uses the Quake3 engine...

Anyway I digress, I don't like airy fairy game modes I'm a Deathmatcher! through and through, in fact sometimes there is a Q3 DM server running from this very site :-)

I might organise some games once a month, would anyone be interested in joining?

Chris Quartly

Yeah I'd be interested in whopping some other TNMS members butts at any game you so wish  ;)

I've heard good things about UT3.

I used to be a deathmatcherm but discovered Coutnerstrike and didn't really look back.

Was very much a Quake3 hardcore, but then starting playing against some of the very best in the country and just didn't have the time to practice enough to get to their level. It came to a tough decision having a life or gaming!  ::)
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

fizzle

I would have beaten you all in Counter-Strike, i was in the second best Swedish Clan  :) but now.. im just a Rush fan  :P