Author Topic: Holland Herald  (Read 33462 times)

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
Re: Ron's Random Collection of Words
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2002, 22:49:13 PM »
Things are getting close now. Getting a bit lit up with anticipation. Still have to work two days (bugger)  :(.

Planning the visit today, which record stores and bookshops to visit, which sights to see and so on.
Arranged for a house sitter to take care of our two cats.
Burning some bootleg CD's while talking to you lot.

It is time for fajita's tonight. Probably some marguerita's as well, but I'm not sure. After all, I still have to cook, don't I?

Progress in Tad Williams' Otherland part III is very slow indeed. Way too much other things to do. But I'll get a chance to catch up on the plane.

Will the hardcover version of Ghost Rider be available at MSG? I sure hope so...

Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2002, 01:20:45 AM »
Slow day. Just had a nice meeting with an old friend of mine who works at the Dutch ATC authorities. It was good to catch up on old times and new gossips.

Send a job application tonight. I know from 'well informed' sources that my name has been mentioned for this job, so who knows.

Wife is having a cold, so she won't be too happy on the plane to the Big Apple. Let's just hope the lads will pop her ears next Thursday.

One more day of work (some reading in the morning and then off to Brussels for a meeting) and then it is off to NY on Wednesday.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2002, 01:22:02 AM by Stewart »

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2002, 01:51:15 AM »
We pulled it off, Stewart. The shirt is here (eyes left everyone!). Nice shirt, with the logo not too large on my left boob. That will trigger Ashley for sure! At least, when he gets his eyes of Debbie doing the second team in Dallas (yep, Ash, there is indeed more to that movie than the lockerroom scene...  :o)

Driving back and forth to Brussels today. Nice meeting over there, but unfortunately it means I have to do some actual work before Christmas.  ;)
Luckily the work includes some trips abroad.

But first: packing and heading for New York tomorrow.
The concert will be even better now, knowing that Ashley is indeed green (don't be fooled by the purple) with envy.

And Stewart, keep your spirits up here. I certainly immensely enjoy this site and I am sure loads of others are enjoying it too. Don't let a couple of ill willed people get to you. After all, the rules are here to keep them away, no matter where they come from.

That's it for now then, behave the coming days and I'll let you all know how the concert was next week. And who knows, maybe I'll run into a couple of you at the pre-gig party across the street...

Like a vapour trail......

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2002, 02:14:21 AM »
I forgot to mention that I intend to write a review of the MSG show for a Dutch progrock magazine (IO pages). Hopefully it will be published...

Like a vapour trail....

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2002, 12:33:42 PM »
Bag is packed, everything done here, so I'm ready to go.
See you guys all next week's Monday or so.

Take care...

Like a vapour trail.......

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2002, 20:08:29 PM »
Just returned from NY. There seemed to have been some wind here yesterday, since I enjoyed the aftermath of that on our Dutch railways. Getting from Schiphol to my hometown (between Delft and The Hague) was a journey in itself.

But back to the NY bragging. My wife and I had a great, great time over there. We even enjoyed the live entertainment on Thursday!  :D
Our hotel was straight across MSG, so we probably even beat Neil getting to his bike in our return to the hotel.

Wednesday we flew in and did some walking around the city .
Thursday (and the rest of the trip up until Sunday night) was loaded with tourist stuff visiting this city. My wife has been there once before, so she had a nice idea what was fun to do there.
Thursday afternoon I got the shivers a little, cause I would be seeing Rush in Northern America (one of my oldest wishes).
My wife took her weight off her feet (walking around in a big city is killing!) in our hotel and I got across to get the tickets from International Will Call.
Security check was already in place that early, but I got through with my camera ok. The merchandise stands were being built up and they played some Rush tunes in the process. I was getting in the mood for that night, that's for sure!
Once I had my tickets, I walked around MSG. Loads of policemen were assembling for the evening, but all in good spirits. I didn't see any signs of Neil's motorbike or anything band related. There were some big white trucks, so that's where their equipment was in, I assume.

Back in the hotel, we drank a beer, grabbed a burger and went to the Irish bar across MSG. Man, it was CROWDED in there. I didn't see any familiar T-shirts and all I heard around me were Americans, so we drank another beer and left for the show. Bummers there wasn't an opportunity to take pictures of some of the others here on this board.

We found our seats quite easily (1st ring seating, Geddy's site). Nice seats with a good view on stage.
One of the weirdest things was that they were selling champagne in the stands, no kidding. Outside you could get beer, soda and so on, but in the actual arena, they only sold champagne. Weird experience for a rock concert.

Shortly before the show, I notice a large English flag, with Newcastle written on it. It was fairly straight across from me. I couldn't help thinking Ashley had something to do with this.  :D

The show itself was brilliant, great to see them again after 10 years. Tom Sawyer was a great opener. It gets the crowd going immediately and right after the first song, it is out of the way. Freewill was one of the best songs from that first set. And no matter what Big Al says, there is a great solo in Earthshine live!
Natural Science (with great graphics on the screen) was a great ending of this first set.

The second set opening with the movie and One Little Victory was great (volume could have been slightly higher, to really get the kick from Neil's double bass opening) and pyro stuff was nice (and warm!).
Dreamline with the laser show was amazing. I really, really like this song and it works so much better later in the set. Great stuff.

And what to say of the final part of the second set and the encore? Starting with 2112 (a great 'third opener' after Resist), it was vintage Rush to your hearts content. Absolutely brilliant and high energy. What an up way to end a concert like that!
One last remark. It struck me during 2112: Overture that the crowd was about the best totalitarian as they can get with their perfectly timed 'hey' chant. And that during probably the most anti totalitarian song Rush has written. That struck me as rather funny.

All in all, a great show and a great long weekend New York.

And, yes, the wife loved the show as well!!!

More stuff later...

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2002, 22:02:22 PM »
To add to my previous post.

The dryers were operated by two guys in bath towel (first set) and a NY Police Officer (second set). Last one was especially a nice touch.

I had an older guy (well into his 50's, maybe even early 60's) in front of me. He was very enthousiastic, although not really right on the beat with shouting and waving his arms. At least, that was when he was not sleeping. Believe me, I kid you not, this guy fell asleep a few times during the concert!!  :o
You should have seen the look on the faces of the people surrounding him.

Alex' rant was about what he heard in his head when he was just sitting at home or walking on the street. It was Hawaiian music, which he played as well. He asked both Ged and Neil what was in their head at these moments and they played some licks on their drums (fast and furious) or bass (nice sounding short solo). Nice moment, but no hilarious stuff.

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2002, 21:42:54 PM »
Spent most of the day fighting off sleep. Not that anyone noticed the difference at the office, I assume.  :o

Had a shitload of stuff back with me from the US.
2 fine Single Malt Whiskeys
(Lagavulin and Talisker Distillers Edition)
couple of books
tourbook
Ghost Rider
Guggenheim collection book
New York photobook (beats collecting wooden shoes!)
Harper art book
Gaudi Biography by Gijs van Hensbergen
The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson
Stranger Shores by J.M. Coetzee
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
Suttree by Cormac McCarthy
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

We should be able to pick some new reads, once you have figured out how to remove the cellophane, Ash.

couple of CD's
Purcupine Tree - In Absentia
Exit... Stage Right - The String Quartet Tribute to Rush
Tool - Opiate
Foo Fighters - One by One
Blue Oyster Cult - A Long Day's Night

Managed to squeeze that all in the suitcase and carry on luggage. Had to leave a pair of socks there in order not to have to buy another bag/suitcase.

Way too sleepy right now to start writing the concert review for the magazine. But I hope it will be finished before the weekend.

Dozing off..................

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2002, 03:30:12 AM »
The wife is out for a three day course for work.

Had a colleague over for a couple of drinks tonight. We sampled a few Islay whisky's, so if I sound slightly intoxicated, it's probably true.

Have to bow deep for the Toon Army (that's your footy guys, right, Ash?). My team has sunk even below them in the Champions League. Darn, now we really have to kick their butts next round.

Crewe

Dods

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2002, 16:48:40 PM »
So I see you are a peaty/smokey whisky man....all the more reason to go tho the Western Isles of Scotland... ;)

Then....I could take a tour of the Whisky Trail here in the North East of Scotland.... ;D

Yummy
« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 16:50:01 PM by Dods »

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2002, 00:36:46 AM »
Hey Stewart, congrats on the 1K posts. Last one as brilliant as the first one.  ;)

Fighting with computers here, in order to get the Toronto 2002 VCD's burned. But it seems I've outsmarted this bastard here.

Dods, I sure like 'em peaty.
Tasting last night consisted of:
The Ileach
Ardbeg 1973 (highly recommended!)
Coal Ila 1989
Laphroaig Cask Strength (also one I wouldn't pass when offered)
Lagavulin Distillers Edition Double Matured (as highly recommended as one can get!)

Travelling to Islay on the Islay festival week is certainly rather high on my wish list for travelling.

Off to watch Lord of the Rings part 1 on DVD now. Need to get in the mood to watch the 4 DVD box and the second part in cinema, now wouldn't I?

Ash, may the best team win next week!

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2002, 23:27:23 PM »
Just waiting for the wife to return from a three day course in the eastern part of Holland. As usual, Dutch railway is living up to it's anticipation, making her return about an hour later than scheduled.
Prepped her favourite Greek fish dish, so she should return to happy after the railway stress within minutes.

Dad had his first day of early retirement today, lucky GIT (which seems to be the fashion word around here). Juet endless weekends ahead of him. His birthday is Sunday, so we're gonna celebrate quite big, I'm afraid.  :D
Have to buy him a great bottle of Scotch tomorrow. And yep, he loves the Islays too.

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2002, 19:28:37 PM »
Just the weekend us Dutchie love: free food and drinks...  ;D

Today it's the birthday of my uncle the gardener. Yup, occasionally he does do things in my garden, but usually we end up just having drinks. Open house at around 17.00, so dinner is been catered for.

Tomorrow my dad will celebrate his early retirement and birthday. Bar open at 14.00 and chinese dinner with the family at 18.30.

Don't you love those sunny autumn days? All the nice touches of red, orange and brown lit by an early sun. It was great being out early this morning and enjoy the morning silence with these beautiful colours.

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2002, 20:45:45 PM »
Another very beautiful day today here in Holland. Well, at least in the part of Holland that I live in.
Done some serious cutting (grapes and lavender) this morning. Yep, it's time again to prepare the garden for winter.

Just returned from the pub, where we celebrated my dad's birthday. Very nice and crowded and good drinking and eating too.

I just read that Insomnia was out here in Holland. One of the films I definately want to see (together with Bourne Identity, Red Dragon, One Hour Film Stop and LOTR II of course).

Crewe

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2002, 01:05:05 AM »
Reflected Light in the CD player and I am writing my review of the MSG gig. Rough version of the first set is now finished, but before I go on to the second set, I have to listen to Earthshine now. Man, that song is sounding way better live than on VT. Makes one dream how VT really could have sounded. And hey, the guitar solo is certainly not out of place in this tune too!  :D

Review will be in Dutch, but I will make an English version as well. No, not just for you guys over here, but I've seen a few online magazines who encourage you to write concert reviews. Why not combine the good with the pleasurable, right?
BTW, pleasurable, is that the queen's English, or Peart's English ???  ;D

I better stop now, before I get too confused here... *hehehe*

Crewe