Author Topic: The Pudders Periodical  (Read 45734 times)

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
Re: The Pudders Periodical
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2005, 03:41:28 AM »
that was a most enjoyable evening.... ;D ;D (something to tell the grandchildren... ::) ::) ;D)

Now theres a thought, will you be able to search back 20 years in the tnms archives?...shit!

Micke.K

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2005, 03:43:23 AM »

Now theres a thought, will you be able to search back 20 years in the tnms archives?...shit!

Perhaps we should pass that question on to Stew... ::) ::)

Poor sod lmao lmao

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2005, 05:01:54 AM »
A lot of water has passed under the bridge since I was last here.....but sod that, lets talk about the here and now!

I'm finally back into the full swing of work - the shoulder is pretty well healed and I spent 6 hours on the roller giving the cricket square its annual squeeze this week, with out any lasting ill effects.

This weekend I'm off to Belgium for 4 days with the School, on the annual visit to the Battlefields of WW1. I didn't go last year and really missed it. Despite the jokes about it being a Belgian lager piss up there's little time for more than the odd beer - and thats just the kids! Seriously though, we just about get the balence right and hopefully the boys come away from the trip with a better understanding of what their forebears went through.

So I get back from battlefields on Tuesday evening.....and fly to Manchester on Wednesday morning! As some of you will know my eldest son, Sam, has won a competition to meet some of the England players at the launch of the new footie kit on Wednesday, and I'm going with him! He also has to interview John Terry for the TV programme and they are trying to sort out a meet with Wayne Rooney as Sam has told them he's his favourite player ::) Then he's back to Old Trafford on Saturday for the England game, all courtesy of the BBC.

Kids eh, they don't know how lucky they are!

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2005, 23:20:01 PM »
Hectic or what! The last few days have had so much packed in I don't know where to start!

The departure for the Battlefields trip coincided with the kick off time of Lukes U10 cup semi-final replay - and I'm the match day manager! There was nothing for it but to leave the team in the capable hands of my co-manager, Jeff, and wait on the phone call. When it came I didn't have to ask - the kids were all going beserk in the back ground - a 1-0 win and we are in the final!!!!! I'm so pleased for the boys, they've played so well this season, without always getting the breaks they deserve, so to get to the final is a great achievment. We will be underdogs, but I see no reason why we cannot triumph on the day. Whatever, we will stick to the 'pass and move' philosophy that we have emphasised all season - you never know!

The trip was good, with more than the usual handful of kids that were actually interested enough to ask questions, but the journeys there are and back were awful! On the way out a combination of fog and  berthing problems at Calais meant it took 4 hours to get across, meaning we had to head straight for the Menin Gate Ceremony, before checking into our hotel and eating. On the way back we found that Calais was shut due to strike action - we found this out AFTER we had been through immigration control - thanks folks! >:( there followed a mad dash to the Tunnel where we managed to get booked on a train due to depart just half an hour later than our sailing - great we thought, back early!

I should have known better - after a cuppa we all piled back on the coach....which wouldn't start! By the time we got the thing jump started we'd missed the train....then we couldn't get the bloody main door shut, so Pudders had to hang on to it as we went through Passport control - only for them to decide that we weren't having a bad enough day and order us all off the coach - 51 of us - to check passports. We then found that one of the boys had lost his passport and it took 20 minutes to find it amongst the detritus on the top deck!

We eventually got back to Leatherhead only a couple of hours late - but being told Sam and I were being picked up at 6.15am for our flight to Manchester wasn't exactly music to my ears!

Sam's experiance was mostly brilliant: Filming at Old Trafford, then the England shirt launch at the Lowry in Manchester and interviewing the thoroughly nice John Terry (He and I discussed the previous weekends result and he assures me that Portsmouth are going down and not to worry!). I'll try and post a few pictures later of Sam with a few of the England team - including the gorgeous Rachels' ;). On the down side we didn't manage to get David Beckhams autograph (the FA's fault), Rio Ferdinands (my fault :-/ ) or Wayne Rooney's (Waynes fault for being involved in an alleged night-club incident that meant they kept him away for most of the day. He actually came back into the hotel as we were leaving and wanted to sign Sam's shirt but was bustled away by his minders, leaving Sam in tears. The BBC are working on trying to get something through United though, so hopefully there will be a happy ending!).

Saturday see's Sam and i back up to Old Trafford for the game - and hopefully the chance to meet up with a few tnmsers back stage as we are not very far apart.

Oh, and Easter gives me the chance to recharge the batteries as well - I'm knackered.

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2005, 06:36:26 AM »
Falling behind again.... ::)

Sam and i had a great time at the England v Northern Ireland game last weekend. We had pretty good seats, courtesy of Sam's competition win, but ended up in the exclusive tnms enclosure for the second half. Good to meet Peter (Roadcrew) for the first time, and see Oz, Mick Parry and Analog for the first time since R30. Sam conned me into going into the Megastore after the game to get 'Rooney' and the number '8' printed on his Man Utd shirt which he just happened to have with him! We then had to battle through thousands of NI fans to get back to the car - in fairness they were in great humour and much friendly banter was exchanged, mostly about Michael Hughes as I was wearing my Palace jacket. A pretty good journey back as well, but I was totally bollocksed by the time I got in - 5 hours up and 4 hours back aint fun!

As I type we have just got in from seeing Porcupine Tree at the Astoria in London. Great gig, really enjoyed it and so did Mrs Pudders  - which was looking unlikely when the dreaded migraine struck about 5.30! Fortunately a mad dash up Charing Cross Road to the nearest Boots (thanks Oz!) meant a dose of Migralieve was procured and by the time we left the pub Louise was feeling waaay better. Met up with Bez, CQ, Carrie, Oz, Rascal and Red Star in the pub beforehand - I think Dave Lack was there as well but never got to talk to him - sorry about that :-/ Lost most of them at the Astoria as us oldies headed ofr the relative tranquility of upstairs - too late for a table but we got a barrier to lean on - just in front of Chris (Red Star). Have to say the sound up there was pretty shite for the first half of the PT set, but it did eventually settle down.

We shot off pretty quick at the end - an early finish (9.45ish?) meant we could walk across to Waterloo and the train home at a gentle pace rather than the the usual forced march! Journey home livened up by drunken/homeless smelly person with bloody great dog getting on the train at Clapham. Fortunately he decided to pester the other end of the carriage - but Louise comforted us with the knowledge that she was sure he was heading for Leatherhead and the night hostel we have in the town. She was spot on of course, however only his dog made it off the train after i opened the doors because the fella was so pissed he didn't get off before the doors shut again....last seen heading for Dorking ;D

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2005, 02:22:50 AM »
Just adding a couple of things that happened yesterday:

We got up to town about mid-day which allowed us to catch the 12.30 Mass at Westminster Cathedral. The plaza outside was full of media set up in anticipation of the Pope's death - and of course they got their story later that evening. The service was short but quietly contemplative and we were glad we had made the effort to attend.

We then strolled across St. James Park and down Pall Mall, taking the scenic route to Covent Garden where we met up with our mate Tim for a pint and a pastie in The Cove. With a couple of hours to kill before the meet up in the Montague Pyke we headed for the National Gallery.

I hadn't been there since I was at School, and I had no idea  how many 'famous' paintings were housed there - Constable's 'Haywain', Van Gogh's 'The Sunflowers' to name two - plus many others that I recognised by painters like Canelleto, Holbein, Gainsborough, Monet and Turner. Very pleasent way to spend the time.

I still don't get whats so great about those sunflowers though! ::)

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2005, 03:53:35 AM »
Tsk! Letting it slip again ::)

Over the last few weeks we've had the excitement of Luke's cup final, the start (for the boys) of the cricket season and some crap weather!

First, the final! Well, we lost >:( I'm assured by the neutrals that it was a great game to watch but, having got there I was disappointed we couldn't get a result. In fairness to the opposition - Nutfield Youth - they thoroughly deserved there 2-1 victory, playing quick, intelligent and accurate passes that caused us no end of trouble in the first 10 minutes....meaning that we were soon 2 down and i was left regretting my decision to start with a solid, but not pacy, left back. So, off he came.....and round came dad to have a go at me and blame everyone else! By half time we were back in it following a goal from a corner and we battled away for the second half, trading breakaways, but were unable to sneak an equaliser.

Great experiance for the kids though, and for the management duo!

As far as cricket goes, the boys decided they didn't - for various reasons - want to play for the same club this year ::) This is not proving to be such a bad thing as practice nights are now Monday and Tuesday....and both clubs have very nice bar facilities! It's important that a father supports his kids where sport is concerned and it's great to be watching rather than be involved in the running off the team.

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2005, 04:54:23 AM »
Yet again it's been an age since i last wittered away in here - and much water has flowed under the bridge of life in the intervening period......most of which has been forgotten about!

Work wise it's manic at the moment - the period after half term is non-stop as so much is crammed into such a short period of time before the end of term (2nd July). The weather is becoming a real cause for concern - we have had no decent rainfall for about 9 months now and all the repairs we made on the winter pitches have failed to hold - will just have to try again when the kids go and hope for a wet July!

We finally closed the door on the footbal season today, playing a friendly against a local side. With the boys moving to 11 a side it was interesting to see how the new squad gelled......and i have to say we are really pleased with the group of boys we have. Before the heat took its toll we looked, dare I say it, very good! Even my youngest managed to rediscover his touch, scoring a cracker with his left after some great passing! But they've all played too much football this year - they need a rest from it - and so do we!

On the music front I've been buying far to many cd's (again) - mostly old stuff from my (distant) youth, but it's been interesting to receive a few tnms samplers from various people - all much appreciated and eye opening. I'm still not very adventurous - despite Oz's best efforts - but I'm getting there! I've also picked up the guitar semi seriously for the first time in God-knows how long....apologies to my family for that ;)

On tnms itself have had some cracking synch action recently with the usual suspects, and the usual share of bollocks has been spouted, on a regular basis.

Home life has been a bit of nightmare actually. Louise has injured her back - been off work for two weeks now and probably shouldn't go back next week, but she will ::) Eldest son Sam has been told he has Osgood-Sclatter disease - basically a severe 'growing pain' - affecting his knees, and making him even more of a grumpy git than usual! I'm in the wifes bad books for not taking time off work and basically having to do 'something' at work every day..... :-/

Thats all I can think of for now - I'll try and be more regular from now on!

Micke.K

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2005, 15:16:43 PM »
Eldest son Sam has been told he has Osgood-Sclatter disease - basically a severe 'growing pain' - affecting his knees, and making him even more of a grumpy git than usual!

I had that when I was 11-12 years old, and same thing with both my sons....it's a real pain in the butt...(or knee.. ::) :P)

It affects the football'ing for sure....and it takes quite a while before it gets better, I'm afraid....there is no cure for it, and the doctor's don't seem to know much about this disease... :-/

I think only boys get this disease....(it's hell being a boy, eh..? ;) ;D Women have such an easy life....*he he* ;) ;D ;D)

I hope he gets better soon, Neil... :)

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2005, 03:36:08 AM »
I'm clearly not very good at keeping this page up to date - must do better.

Sadly, the reason I feel compelled to write now is that last week my father died. I've not been around much in the last 10 days or so, as I've begun to come to terms with the fact that he's not going to be there anymore. The funeral is this Wednesday and I'm dreading it :-/ I will be saying a few words - in fact I'll paste them in here at the end - and writing them yesterday was so unbelievably difficult. I'm really, really going to miss him.

I'm not one for posting threads about this sort of thing but hope you don't mind me mentioning this here - it's kinda cathartic.

Anyway, meet my Dad :)

Although this is a time of great sadness for us all: for my family, for Kate, and for his many friends gathered here today, it is also a wonderful opportunity to reflect upon a life well lived. My father

Micke.K

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2005, 04:43:18 AM »
I like it Neil....very nice speach

Seems like your father was a very nice man.

R.i.P.

My thoughts will be with you and your family on wednesday, mate...

And I'm looking forward to meeting you all on thursday
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 04:43:33 AM by Micke.K »

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2005, 04:51:18 AM »
I like it Neil....very nice speach

Seems like your father was a very nice man.

R.i.P.

My thoughts will be with you and your family on wednesday, mate...

And I'm looking forward to meeting you all on thursday

Thanks Micke ;)

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2005, 05:03:45 AM »
You know I've been sending you, Louise and the boys good vibes all week. I shall keep doing so, my friend. :)

Andy

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2005, 05:19:18 AM »
You know I've been sending you, Louise and the boys good vibes all week. I shall keep doing so, my friend. :)

Andy

:) Thanks Andy - they're getting through ;)

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2005, 14:17:19 PM »
Just wanted to say a big thank you to those of you that have PM'd, phoned and spared a moment to send a thought or a prayer over the last 10 days or so - all your kind words and support have been a great help to me as I come to terms with the loss of my father. What a great bunch you all are :D

The funeral took place yesterday and went very well - as well as you'd hope a funeral to go anyway. We had a very private cremation, followed by a service of thanksgiving which was attended by so many of Dad's friends. There were some wonderful moments here. There were a number of prepared tributes - mine appears earlier in this thread (it went down very well I'm relieved to say) - after which the vicar asked if anyone would like to add anything. A succession of people stood up in the church and said some wonderful things about Dad that made us all laugh and cry, often at the same time! There were people who knew him from sport, from work and from his army days in WW2. It was probably the latter that made the biggest impact and none bigger than the fella who stood up and said, "You won't know me, but I was Gordons best man when he married in Egypt in 1945...." It was like day time tv! Sharp intakes of breath, and the vicar (as Jerry Springer!) saying, "Tell us more!"...which he did! Fantastic!

Dad, you'll always be in my thoughts and in my heart. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 14:24:02 PM by Neil_Pudney »