Author Topic: Hailings from the Houdi Household  (Read 12241 times)

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
Re: Hailings from the Houdi Household
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2005, 01:13:20 AM »
Cheers, Bez. :)

Toronto Tales part 1

Sunday 20th March - Not time to do much in the morning other than get ready & make our way to Newark for our early afternoon flight to Toronto. Flight is just over an hour & once we clear customs, pick up the luggage, jump on the Airport Express coach & arrive at the hotel it's about 5.30pm & sleeting. Quick mooch around a few shops before they shut at 7 then get ourselves unpacked & sorted then out for someting to eat. Not much doing in the way of nightlife so we have a relaxing meal then back to the hotel for a relatively early night.

Monday 19th March - Do the cultural tourist bit first thing with a trip up the CN Tower. There's still a fair bit of snow around & the view over the islands is rather nice. Toronto's not a particularly great looking city, rather grey & bland, not as hard & dirty looking as New York, & I have to say that having been to the top of the Canary Wharf tower on a work-related matter a few weeks ago, London looks a fair bit better than both. We walk out onto the observation deck &, not being a lover of heights, I don't venture out too far. We go down to the glass floor but there's no way I'm standing on that & looking down thank you very much! M buys a pair of native Indian earrings in the gift shop.::)

As I believe I've mentioned before, Toronto appears to have more shops than I've seen anywhere so after a quick coffee & a pastry the rest of the day is spent mooching/shopping. Everything seems to be so cheap compared to home, something not missed by M, who shops. Hard.::)

Nothing much seems to happen Mon-Weds in the cold months in Toronto so the evening is spent dining at an excellent little Italian restaurant called Little Anthony's right near the hotel. The food is superb, best Italian grub we've ever had in fact. Probably expensive by Toronto standards but not when compared to London. We're not ones for going to restaurants much when at home, generally preferring to stay at home & cook ourselves, but it has to be said that dining out in Toronto is a real pleasure. There's loads of small, unpretentious eateries, everyone is extremely pleasant & the food is very good & great value.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 13:10:08 PM by rascal_houdi »
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 18:06:27 PM »
Toronto Tales part 2

Tuesday 22nd March - Up early after my first decent nights kip since we've been away, courtesy of the super-comfy Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed. Another lovely clear sunny day & it's up to the coach station a couple of blocks north to get the bus down to Niagara Falls. An hour & a bit later we're dropped off at the Niagara bus terminal a couple of miles from the falls where we pick up a local bus to take us into the heart of the town. It's been over 20 years since we last visited the falls & the area itself has changed considerably. It's now some hideous Blackpool type resort with Waxworks, arcades & all sorts of crap. We make our way through this & down to the falls where we're greeted with the breathtaking site of the falls still covered in snow & partially frozen, just as we'd hoped.

We wander around for a couple hours, me going snap-happy, & M buys a native Indian ankle bracelet from the gift shop.::)

Back up to the bus terminal where we get the rather full 3.30pm coach back to the city. Not many seats left, the girls get 2 together & I end up sitting next to a very pleasant Canadian woman who I uncharacteristically chat away with for the entire journey as she points out local landmarks, vineyards, fruit orchards etc. She's surprised to find that everything's so cheap for us over here & I point out that a lot of things seem to be the same in dollars as they are in pounds at home effectively making things half price.

We get back to the city just over an hour later, trot back to the hotel to freshen up then out to shop some more. By now it's become apparent that everything M has bought isn't going in the old suitcase she came with so we go in search of new luggage.::) This becomes a saga in itself as we look in every shop going again & again but buy nothing, yet.::) M buys a pair of jeans, I pick up the 2 Trailer Park Boys DVD box sets & a couple of CD's.

The evening is spent dining in Alice Fazooli's, another Italian restaurant, bigger & a bit less posh than last night's but still very good.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 18:07:22 PM by rascal_houdi »
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 18:29:39 PM »
So glad you got a ticket for the second show.  :D I've been waiting since your first travel post to see whether you made it in or not.  :)

As for the CN Tower, I have a photo somewhere that Mick Burnett took of my laying on the glass floor. You can see me grinning like a cheshire cat whilst the city bussles a few thousand feet below.  8)

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2005, 22:00:34 PM »
So glad you got a ticket for the second show.

Cheers, mate. Well worth it as well, only 4 songs repeated from the first night I saw. Other bands take note!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 22:01:34 PM by rascal_houdi »

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2005, 23:04:37 PM »
Toronto Tales part 3

Weds 23rd March - Last full day before travelling home tomorrow. Before we head out for some more shopping we fill the bathroom sink with ice to chill a bottle of Canadian Chardonnay we bought yesterday. Got to sample some of the local stuff, rude not to really. Purchased one of the dearest bottles I could find & it was still only about
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 22:53:29 PM by rascal_houdi »

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 02:05:24 AM »
Jeyzus! Ol' Kim looks like a retired doctor! Well done good sir for making contact....and did you tell him what you're nickname is? ;D

Stoofah

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 03:23:58 AM »
A really entertaining read!  :)

Lovely pictures as well.  Nice one  8)

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 04:21:17 AM »
Jeyzus! Ol' Kim looks like a retired doctor! Well done good sir for making contact....and did you tell him what you're nickname is? ;D

Well, he is in his fifties now so give him a bit of a break! We didn't touch on the nickname thing. Maybe I should have thrust a TNMS card at him........

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2005, 04:23:04 AM »
A really entertaining read!

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2005, 04:37:08 AM »

Well, he is in his fifties now so give him a bit of a break! We didn't touch on the nickname thing. Maybe I should have thrust a TNMS card at him........

...you know how sometimes you wish you'd never said something...:-/

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2005, 19:37:06 PM »
A nice read Mark - glad you had a good trip - seemed to make the most of your time there. Would love to see Niagara in the winter months - the pictures looked ace. Have to say I would not have recognised Kim Mitchell though...

Chris Quartly

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • "It's business time"
    • Some Other Sucker's Parade
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2005, 22:59:46 PM »
excellent story, very jealous :)
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:

Q's Comps

Some Other Suckers Parade

Nephronic

• Noob
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2005, 23:13:50 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyable read Mark. Brings back lots of memories of my Toronto trip a couple of years back, especially the glass floor at the CN Tower.
Who Put The 'N' in North Berwick?

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2005, 15:28:43 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, chaps! :)

Busy gigging week coming up. Straight from Arsenal vs Norwich to Porcupine Tree at the Astoria tonight, tomorrow North Mississippi Allstars at the Barbican Centre (strange venue for a rock show), Robert Plant at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday then, the one I've really been waiting for, Mule at the Mean Fiddler on Thursday. :D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 15:41:16 PM by rascal_houdi »

Pudders

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2005, 16:11:08 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, chaps! :)

Busy gigging week coming up. Straight from Arsenal vs Norwich to Porcupine Tree at the Astoria tonight, tomorrow North Mississippi Allstars at the Barbican Centre (strange venue for a rock show), Robert Plant at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday then, the one I've really been waiting for, Mule at the Mean Fiddler on Thursday. :D

See ya later then Mark :D