Author Topic: Hailings from the Houdi Household  (Read 12595 times)

Ashley

• TNMS Member
  • The Musical Box UK TOUR 2007
Re: Hailings from the Houdi Household
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2004, 20:46:51 PM »
the numerous ones who are obviously having complete conversations with voices in their heads. :-/

You mean George W don't you?

Go on, say it  ;D

Nephronic

• Noob
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2004, 03:18:41 AM »
One thing I must mention is how helpful, trusting, polite & friendly everybody in Toronto is. Nothing seems too much trouble unlike in London, land of the surly, miserable, downright rude etc......

A disturbing thing is the staggering amount of homeless people on the streets, something DaveMP has touched on before. I thought London was bad but it's nothing compared to what I've seen over the last few days. They do however generally keep themselves to themselves unlike in London, land of the dog-on-string, Tennents Super swilling, abusive etc....
A lot of them are truly mentally disturbed like the one who sat near us on a streetcar & appeared perfectly normal until he started twitching & punching himself in the chest, & the numerous ones who are obviously having complete conversations with voices in their heads. :-/

That's pretty much how I found Toronto as well. Very pleasant people without being overly polite or fawning. I was also surprised at the amount of homeless people - they just seem to lie down in the middle of the pavement at any time of day or night. Not one of them ever asked us for money though.
Who Put The 'N' in North Berwick?

Ashley

• TNMS Member
  • The Musical Box UK TOUR 2007
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2004, 14:47:15 PM »
I loved Toronto to bits.

It all went downhill though when I entered America & met 2 bloody Jocks!  ;)

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2004, 17:29:39 PM »
It's so crap going back to work after time off isn't it? I don't hate my job but there's other things I'd rather be doing......

Other than watching Arsenal's title & Euro aspirations take a little knock this week nothing much happening.

Delving into the batch of CD's I bought in Toronto I find myself wondering why I never discovered The Tragically Hip years ago, picked up their live album & it's excellent. Annoying because I know they've played over here a few times & I've missed them. I shall investigate some of their other albums, just 'won' one on Ebay for
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 03:32:53 AM »
did you "wear black" for the show Mark ?

No need mate, the whole tour's being recorded for download of the Mule website. I have the Toronto show already. :)
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 14:25:37 PM »

No need mate, the whole tour's being recorded for download of the Mule website. I have the Toronto show already. :)

Now why can't that be made compulsory !
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 03:39:02 AM »
Apart from watching Arsenal's season falter somewhat in the last few weeks only a couple of things of interest happening at the moment.
Gig-wise, Walter Trout played a set of blistering blues-rock at the Mean Fiddler the other week. If this is your particular bag then he's well worth checking out live.
Weds this week myself & Oz went to check out US jamband Particle at The Borderline. A bit different this one, all instrumental, sort of Ozrics-style ambient beats & stuff, touch of Floyd in places & well capable of rocking out as well. We thought something was up when only 3 people took the stage & after the first track the keyboard player announced that their guitarist 'couldn't make it tonight'! Quite a major thing you would have thought but they carried on like nothing was wrong & played a very enjoyable set. Respect. 8)

Listening wise it's mainly been The Tragically Hip. Since discovering them for the first time in Toronto a few weeks ago I've been scouring E-bay & Amazon for the back catalogue & have so far managed to pick up two thirds of it for a couple of quid each. Good stuff, sort of how I would imagine REM could be if they were a decent rock band. ;)

Anyway, here's hoping the Gunners buck up at home to Birmingham tomorrow. Would have been a home banker a couple of months ago, now it's :-/ or ??? but hopefully not :'( just yet.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 03:39:50 AM by rascal_houdi »

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 18:34:29 PM »
Good to catch up with various TNMSers at the YYZ show at the Royal Standard in Walthamstow last Friday, even if the band did commit the heinous crime of recreating one of the worst moments in Rush history.......Xanadu into Superconductor. Oi! Simon! Noooo.......!! :P ;)

Went to see Black Crowes guitarist Rich Robinson's solo band at the Scala a couple of nights ago. A surprisingly excellent show. Wasn't expecting that much to be honest. If his brother had been singing it would have been stellar.

Arsenal's title challenge isn't quite dead yet, contrary to some of the stories in the media over the last few weeks. The match against Chelsea was a Premiership footie at it's best & a draw was a fair result even if we should have nicked it just before the end.

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2005, 05:54:08 AM »
So, the Christmas / New Year period was pleasant & uneventful, just how I like it. Only slight blip was a crap day in the sales in central London, never again! Me & Mrs H have made a pact to beat each other about the head if either even suggests it next year.......

World disasters aside, no complaints at all about 2004. Got to see 2 of my very favourite bands (Rush & Mule of course) & met loads of cool people. Arsenal won the league & went on an unprecedented 49-game unbeaten run (I think we've blown it this season though). To round off the year nicely I was told the week before Christmas that my first pay rise for 2 & half years comes this month. ;D

Going back to work last week after a 12-day break was a bit of a bummer but, as usual, once you're back a couple of days it's like you've never been away. At least I haven't got too long to wait for my next break - booked tickets yesterday to see the Allman Brothers Band in New York in March. 8)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 05:56:07 AM by rascal_houdi »

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2005, 23:54:49 PM »
Been a while since the last update.  The TNMS Southern Softy Bash was a most pleasant evening indeed. Nice to meet a few new faces as well as the familar ones.

Gig-wise, just the one so far this year. Glenn Hughes played a good show at the Mean Fiddler last week. Good to see him playing a set based around his recent solo stuff rather than the same old Purple & Trapeze numbers, though we did still get a couple. His voice is still teriffic, doesn't appear to have diminished at all over the years which is quite remarkable for a 53-year old.

Big, & unsuspected, news for me last week was the announcement that Gov't Mule are finally making a trip to Europe in April. Only one UK date, sadly, but needless to say I'm looking forward to that! ;D 8)

Plenty of other gigs on the horizon - Mountain (maybe, if I can be bothered), Mark Kozelek, Spin Doctors (another maybe), The Mars Volta, Allman Brothers Band in NY (2 nights), Porcupine Tree, Robin Trower, Soul SirkUS, Kansas & Audioslave so far.

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 16:43:55 PM »
New York Stories part 1

Tuesday 15th March - Day before our trip & we're not happy. I've got a stinking cold, worst I've had in years & we've booked tickets to see the Allman Brothers Band on the Thursday & Saturday only to have the Saturday ones cancelled. We'd booked standing tickets for that night to save a bit of cash (decent seats for the Thursday costing us
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 17:55:48 PM by rascal_houdi »

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2005, 22:28:40 PM »
New York Stories part 2

Thursday 17th March - Up early to do the tourist thing & get to the Empire State Building for when it opens at 9.30am via a short subway ride to 34 St Penn station. Weather is great, a couple of degrees above freezing & gloriously bright & sunny. It's St. Patrick's Day & the streets are already swarming with people in silly green hats, shamrock-shaped glasses & Celtic shirts making their way over to 5th Avenue for the parade. From the observatory deck NY looks like a cold, grey, unforgiving city. We walk around for about 20 mins snapping some not particularly special pictures & then it's back down to ground level for some shopping at the nearby Macy's. Now M was born to shop & never tires of it, much to mine & Mrs H's irritation as she stops to look at every bit of tat imaginable.::) We buy nothing but M earmarks a couple of bits for possible purchase later.

Then it's up to tonight's venue, the Beacon Theatre, on 74th & Broadway to see if we can collect our tickets for the show & also enquire about the possibility of anything turning up for Saturday. We can't collect our tickets til the Ticketmaster International Will Call booth opens at 7pm &, no, nothing available for Saturday but it's suggested that we check back regularly as some often appear on the day. Grab a quick coffee & trot over to Central Park for a sit down then it's back to the vicinity of the hotel & a visit to Century 21, a huge bargain price designer outlet type store. I spot a couple of decent jackets to bear in mind & M buys 2 pairs of sandals.
Stop off at a local pizza place for a quick slice on the way back to the hotel for an hour's worth of free drinks & snacks before making our way to the gig. I doubt anyone has ever taken less advantage of a gratis 120 minute happy hour every night than I did, every sip of alcohol leading to a 5 minute coughing fit. By the time we get to the gig I can hardly talk & I feel crap.

Pick up our tickets no problem & wander in. The Beacon is a slightly run-down but nevertheless quite charming little theatre, capacity around 2500 so fairly intimate. Our seats are good ones, 2nd row in the Loge (1st balcony), perfect view. The slighty inebriated but very friendly guy sitting in front, setting up his taping gear, starts chatting to us & is thrilled to find out we're ABB virgins, assuring us they're going to 'really blow your gourd', whatever that means! One really cool thing about the so-called US 'Jamband' scene is the culture of taping & trading. The bands actually allow fans to tape every show for free trade afterwards. Hence people spend up to $10,000 on a rig that gives them recordings better than some official live albums I've heard. There's mics set up at the front of the Loge & the lower balcony, a few by the soundboard & a couple just in the middle of the stalls on bloody great stands & no-one's being hassled. 8)

The gig itself is excellent. The twin guitar pairing of Warren Haynes & Derek Trucks is a fantastic thing to witness live. Trucks is an astonishingly mature musician for a mere 25-year old & as for Haynes, I'm sure I've said it before but if there's a better all-round rock guitarist around at the moment I haven't seen him. A healthy smattering of new material shows they're definitely not just another nostalgia act & only a rather tedious drum solo fails to impress. The by now quite inebriated friendly guy in front is pleased we enjoyed it & wishes us luck in our quest for Saturday night tickets. Nice fella.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 14:00:10 PM by rascal_houdi »

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2005, 22:56:54 PM »
New York Stories part 3

Friday 18th March - Up early again today to get the 8.30am coach to Woodbury Common, a 220 store designer outlet an hour's ride away in upstate NY. We drive through the industrial heartland of New Jersey (:P) before it gives way to the rather more pleasing, still snow-covered scenery of the Catskills region. M sleeps on the bus & when we get there is unsure whether she's woken up or died & gone to heaven. Another beautiful day, just above freezing & clear & sunny, just how I like it. Infinitely preferable to a hot, sweaty summer's day if you ask me. We all buy some bits & pieces at bargain prices & happily trot off to catch the 3.30pm coach back to the city.

If any of you chaps out there ever go to New York make sure you go with/send your partners on this trip armed with plenty of cash. You'll be loved for evermore, seriously.

Some scenery around Woodbury Common

Get back to the city in time for the happy 2 hours at the hotel where I wimp out & order orange juice. I had kind of persuaded the girls to come to a late night gig I fancied not far from the hotel but I'm blatantly not up to it & they're not fussed so we decide to go out for a leisurely meal then call it quits for the day.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 23:00:56 PM by rascal_houdi »

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2005, 23:57:04 PM »
New York Stories part 4

Saturday 19th March - Last full day in NY before heading up to Toronto tomorrow. We start by getting to the Ticketmaster desk at J&R Music World just after 9am in the hope that some tickets for tonight have been released. No joy so it's off up to Bloomingdale's for a mooch. We notice they book theatre tickets at Customer Services so we leave M to her own devices for a while & head off in another, ultimately vain, attempt at securing tickets. M buys a Christmas present for someone.::)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 14:02:16 PM by rascal_houdi »

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2005, 00:09:49 AM »
nice stories Mark, glad you got to go to the Saturday show, Mrs H is indeed a saint...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%