Author Topic: Hailings from the Houdi Household  (Read 12475 times)

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
Hailings from the Houdi Household
« on: October 13, 2004, 04:08:57 AM »
Belatedly made it to the 'Mods' section after a gentle nudge in the direction of CQ who confessed to his oversight. ::) ;D
Just got to think of interesting things to write now! :-/

One story I will tell happened to me last week. I got home after work, reached in my jacket pocket for my mobile phone to find it wasn't there. I phoned my number & a girl answered & said I must have left my phone on the train. Turns out she only lived 15 minutes away so I went round there later that evening to retrieve my phone. Quite fortunate really, I suspect that if a bloke had picked it up I would never have seen it again, this is London we're talking about after all. Kind of restored my faith in human nature, for a few hours anyway.

There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
Re: Hailings from the Houdi Household
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 18:45:11 PM »
Welcome Mark - that's a strange way to pick up young lady's mate  ;) ;D

Sean

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 19:56:31 PM »
Welcome to the Musings section Mr Houdi sir. 8)

I trust you will maintain the usual level of bollocks that seems to be the standard for these here parts.   ;)

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 21:29:36 PM »
But of course! ;D
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 13:30:07 PM »
Well, here I am at Gatwick with Mrs H due to fly to Toronto in a couple of hours for my first live sighting of my beloved Gov't Mule. They won't play over here so I figure it's the only way I'm going to see them. To say I'm looking forward to it is a bit of an understatement!  ;D

May well check in from TO.

Laters!

Nephronic

• Noob
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 13:35:54 PM »
Well, here I am at Gatwick with Mrs H due to fly to Toronto in a couple of hours for my first live sighting of my beloved Gov't Mule. They won't play over here so I figure it's the only way I'm going to see them. To say I'm looking forward to it is a bit of an understatement!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 13:38:33 PM by Mickael_Kerr »
Who Put The 'N' in North Berwick?

Chris Quartly

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • "It's business time"
    • Some Other Sucker's Parade
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 13:41:21 PM »
wonderful city, enjoy the show and the time away  ;D
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:

Q's Comps

Some Other Suckers Parade

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 13:49:32 PM »
Have a good time Mark - enjoy the Mule, the city , the Country and the break  ;D

Keith

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 23:29:19 PM »
Hey Rascal... send me a PM when you hit Toronto. I work right downtown and would love to meet up with you if the timing is right!  :D

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 00:13:59 AM »
PM sent Dave! :D

Arrived safe & sound (obviously). Just got back from watching the Arsenal's unbeaten run come to an end, predictably at Old Trafford. Watched it in a bar full of ex-pats & enlightened Canucks. 8)

Got the hotel & tuned in to the classic rock radio station Q107 to find Kim Mitchell now hosts the drivetime slot from 2-7pm, most amusing as a DJ I must say. Not quite decided whether it's  8) or  :( though.

Did a reccy of the venue (Palais Royale, a 1920's ballroom on the shore of Lake Ontario) where Mule are playing tonight. It's the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen! It makes the Camden Underworld look like the Royal Albert Hall! Seriously, this building would have been condemed years ago at home. I'm glad it's not Great White I'm going to see tonight, put it that way!

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 20:41:44 PM »
Venue was ok in the end, though even the locals in the queue were voicing concerns. Gig was great, I'm happy. :)

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 22:56:29 PM »
Got home this morning, I've been up for about 28 hours with only an hours nod on the plane, I'm shagged.

Had a most enjoyable few days, the gig lived up to expectations, a quality evening indeed. There were no other bands of interest on while we were there which was a bit unfortunate as there were plenty in the 2 weeks before & a good few coming up. Most miffed to find the Tea Party playing on the evening we flew home. >:(

It's got to be said, if you like shopping Toronto's the place to go. Never seen so many shops & malls! The prices are very cheap as well. I restrained myself & only bought 19 CD's (some brand new for about

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 01:49:26 AM »
One thing I must mention is how helpful, trusting, polite & friendly everybody in Toronto is. Nothing seems too much trouble unlike in London, land of the surly, miserable, downright rude etc......

A disturbing thing is the staggering amount of homeless people on the streets, something DaveMP has touched on before. I thought London was bad but it's nothing compared to what I've seen over the last few days. They do however generally keep themselves to themselves unlike in London, land of the dog-on-string, Tennents Super swilling, abusive etc....
A lot of them are truly mentally disturbed like the one who sat near us on a streetcar & appeared perfectly normal until he started twitching & punching himself in the chest, & the numerous ones who are obviously having complete conversations with voices in their heads. :-/

Dave - I did PM you but you obviously didn't pick it up in time. Sorry I missed you, maybe next time (which may well be in the near future anyway).

« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 01:53:29 AM by rascal_houdi »

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2004, 02:49:53 AM »
One thing I must mention is how helpful, trusting, polite & friendly everybody in Toronto is. Nothing seems too much trouble unlike in London, land of the surly, miserable, downright rude etc......

I know what you mean.  Lovely place and lovely people.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 15:16:46 PM »
did you "wear black" for the show Mark ?

I really must think of something to write up here, I don't vist very often...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%