Author Topic: Dave MP's Musings from Mecca  (Read 10716 times)

Mark_Williams

Re: Dave MP's Musings from Mecca
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2004, 21:15:52 PM »
Hey Dave - your avatar - is that some sort of sex aid thing - looks like it is about to suck that bloke's knob
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 21:16:06 PM by Mark_Williams »

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2004, 01:14:56 AM »
Hey Dave - your avatar - is that some sort of sex aid thing - looks like it is about to suck that bloke's knob

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2004, 18:29:54 PM »
[size=32]THE DREAM IS DEAD FOR ANOTHER YEAR...[/size]  :(  :'(

My Leafs just couldn't get past the Flyers in the second round, so their Stanley Cup drought extends to 38 years.  :( They played well enough to have won 2 of the games they lost in the series, but this isn't figure skating where you get points for how well you perform.... it's all about who gets the most goals.

The problem facing them know is that they have a very old veteran team. While this is good from an experience standpoint, it really showed this year with the number of key injuries to their "senior" players and their inability to keep up to younger, faster teams. It may be a very different team next year.

I was too depressed yesterday to pass on the news, as they lost in overtime the night before and I was still in shock/denial. They had MANY chances to win the game before & during overtime but couldn't seal the deal. At least I can say that they gave it their best effort with the players they had available.

So it's time to trot out the now infamous Leaf fan's motto:

[size=8]"THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT YEAR!!"[/size]  ::)  :-/

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2004, 18:33:13 PM »
Bad luck Dave - as you say - There is always next year!! ::)

Mark_Williams

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2004, 19:05:53 PM »
I thought that was the UK Rush fan's motto - until this year of course  ;)  ;D

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2004, 01:04:16 AM »
I thought that was the UK Rush fan's motto - until this year of course

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2004, 18:34:28 PM »
Watching the NHL playoffs just isn't the same without my beloved Leafs.... however there's one Canadian team (Calgary Flames) left in the hunt and they need just "One Little Victory" to make it to the Stanley Cup finals!!  8)

The cycling routine to the GO train is getting easier (BTW - GO stands for "Government of Ontario"). I clocked the distance the other day and it's exactly 6 km from door to door, so I'm putting in about 60 km per week now. I am starting to notice an improvement in my leg power. Now when I charge up a hill, my legs muscles only burn at 50% instead of 100%!!  ;D I've cut my travelling time down from 24 minutes to just under 20, traffic lights & wind permitting. In a couple of months, I'll be a lean, mean, cycling machine!!  ;D

Maybe if I'm ever lucky enough to meet Neil at least I'll have something in common to talk about!  :D

Till next time...

Cheers,   DAVE

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2004, 20:28:45 PM »
"Hello, hey it's been awhile.... not much... how about you?"  ;)

Actually I've been VERY busy for the past month or so hence my meagre posting activity. Work is my traditional posting location and the project phase I'm currently wrapping up has consumed all of my time. Starting today, things should ease up a lot!!  :)

I'm still riding the bike to & from the GO station most days. I usually take Wednesday off to give this old bod a chance to recover. The morning rides are great but the after work ones can be killers. There haven't been many real hot days... it's more the fact that the ride home is pretty much all uphill (quite steep at times). Couple that with some very strong winds out of the west right in my face and it's all I can do to make it up some hills, even with 18 gears.

One particularily difficult ride, I was reminded of a very appropriate quote from one Mr. Neil Peart:

"It's a test of ultimate will
The heartbreak climb uphill...

Hopefully it won't turn into the "heart attack climb uphill"!!  :o  ;)  ;D

I'm REALLY psyched for Spider-man 2 next week!!  8) Got my tickets already. Then a couple of weeks later, the family is heading to Banff in the Canadian Rockies (where the wife & I honeymooned  :-*). Then finally, to top off an excellent summer, some primo seats (thanx Stew!!  :D) for the August 22nd Toronto RUSH show!! Keeping my fingers crossed for a "Meet & Greet" invitation.

Well, work is beckoning again so I'll be back as soon as I can!

Cheers,  DAVE

Ron

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • Fanboi? Enigma!
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2004, 21:03:47 PM »
Banff is a nice area to visit Dave. I'm sure you will have a great time in the Rockies.
Dat geluk verdwijnt voor geld

Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy, Madison Square Garden, Wembley Arena, Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy.

Crewe

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2004, 01:45:59 AM »
"Summer's going fast, nights growing colder...."

It's been a donkey's age since my last update, so it's time for a recap of the "Summer of 2004":

- June 30th - Spiderman 2 - Excellent, excellent movie!  8) As soon as we left the theatre, I said to the family "I want this DVD..... NOW!!" I've meant to see it again but never made it...

- July 19-26 - Family vacation to Banff, Alberta - A wonderful time was had by all in one of the most spectacular places in the world. It was my 4th visit there but the 1st for the kids, as well as their 1st plane ride. A treasured family experience.

- August 22nd - RUSH in Toronto - 7th row seats for the whole family (best seats I've ever had in 30 years of concert going). The boys were in top form, they were obviously having a blast and my ears rang for the next 2 days!  :o The family's assessment of the show: "Awesome" (Kelly), "Amazing" (Brian) & "Excellent" (Wife). I can't disagree with any of them!  ;D

- September 7th - School resumes - Brian enters Grade 11 and Kelly goes to Middle School for Grade 6. With his heavy homework schedule, drumming lessons & practice and his paper route, Brian decided to give up playing hockey ( :'(). On the flipside, Kelly starts her 1st year in girls hockey ( :D), so I won't be away from the rinks this winter. I'll try to help out on the ice with team practices if they need it.

- September 14th - World Cup of Hockey - Canada wins the championship with a 3-2 victory ("One Little Victory") over Finland (sorry Arto!!  :'(). Although the rest of the hockey playing nations are improving, Canada continues to prove that it's still the world leader in hockey!  8)

Overall, the weather this summer has been cooler and cloudier than usual but I still managed to get in the pool everyday, with the odd exception. The water temperature is slowly dropping (24 C) so it's just a matter of a week or so before I have to shut it down..... always a depressing task.  :(

Well that's it for now. I've rambled on long enough!!  ;D

Cheers,  DAVE

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2004, 21:06:35 PM »
[size=24]IT'S WINTER IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH!![/size]  :D

Or at least for today anyways. It's snowing like crazy outside my 28th floor office window, however it's supposed to go turn to freezing rain ( :P ) later today. Tomorrow is going to be rainy with a high of 7 C, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

Today started on a bad note with me sleeping through my alarm (something I NEVER do  :( ). Luckily I was awoken 30 minutes later when Brian started up his shower. After miraculously making my bus connections on time, my 7:30 a.m. GO Train was cancelled due to "equipment problems", whatever that really means.

The next train arrived at 7:55 and I boarded with all the other lemmings. It was SO crowded in there I thought I was on a Toyko subway car... all that was missing were the transit workers jamming people into the cars!!  ::) Having gotten up late, I didn't have a chance to do my daily back stretches, so needless to say standing on a packed car, my back started tightening up. Once we arrived at Union Station 40 minutes later, I was never so glad to get off that damn train!  >:(

The NHL hockey lockout is now into its 3rd month ( >:(), but there's hope on the horizon. The players union and the owners and meeting this week to discuss the latest (and probably last) proposal from the players. If they can't/won't use this as the basis for a new collective bargaining agreement, the season & the Stanley Cup playoffs are all but history for this year. I'm so sick of this.... millionaire players arguing with millionaire owners about how much of OUR (the fans) money they should get!!  ???

Just decorated my "Dilbert cubicle" with 300 icicle lights.... I may bring in sunglasses tomorrow and wear a short sleeve shirt, cuz it's getting warm sitting here!  ;D

I'll report back in a few days on the progress or lack thereof of the hockey stalemate.

Cheers,

DAVE

rascal houdi

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2004, 03:56:09 AM »
Hope the hockey thing gets sorted, Dave. We're back in your fair city in March & would love to catch a game!
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2004, 23:51:44 PM »
Hope the hockey thing gets sorted, Dave. We're back in your fair city in March & would love to catch a game!

Me too! It's not looking promising at the moment...  ::)

Let me know when you're going to be back in town so we can meet up for real this time!!  ;D

Cheers,  DAVE

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2005, 02:01:26 AM »
The rumours of my demise have been greatly exagerated!  ;D I am indeed still alive & well & living in the home of rock & roll.

I just want to put to rest any rumours/suggestions as to the reasons for my absence. In all honesty, life & work have just been too damn busy for the past year or so. I used to do 90% + of my TNMS posting at work, back in the day when my present job was pretty easy going. However, the amount & pace of the job has increased by double, leaving me no time to visit. Home life has been busier too, with 2 teenagers (or close to it) on the go, so opportunity to post has dropped there too....  :-[ It certainly wasn't anything to do with this place or the people here. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

But I've really missed the place and I hope to be back around here on a more consistent basis.... so much to catch up on!  :D

It's snowing like crazy outside my office window and it's time to catch my train home (and listen to some Rush on my new IPod Shuffle  8)).

I wish all TNMSers and their families the greatest of Christmases and a fantastic 2006, hopefully with a new album to cherish!

Cheers,  DAVE

Micke.K

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2005, 02:14:42 AM »
Nice to have you back, Dave :)

I've missed our hockey discussions :-/

Don't be a stranger now, mate... ;) :D