Author Topic: Dave MP's Musings from Mecca  (Read 11301 times)

Dave_Pierce

Re: Dave MP's Musings from Mecca
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2004, 23:22:37 PM »
Well, spring has finallly sprung here in lovely TO!!  :D All the snow & ice have disappeared and barring a last gasp storm we shouldn't see any again until November/December.

Brian's hockey team was eliminated in the playoff round robin series, which was a downer, but this time of year we're all kind of glad when hockey ends. The running around & schedule conflicts it causes gets a little tiresome so free time is a much appreciated commodity now!  :)

On the other hand, the NHL playoffs start up next week and my beloved Maple Leafs will be taking a run at winning their first Stanley Cup in 37 years!  :o I feel that this is the best Leaf team they've had in the 36 years I've been a fan (I have NO recollection of them winning in 1967..  :(). The problem this year is that there are realistically 8 teams including Toronto with a legitimate chance to win it all. No matter what happens, I'll be enjoying intense press-packed hockey for the next 2 1/2 months so that's a good thing!  8)

Brian & I saw an AMAZING Dream Theater concert last week (see Other Bands - Dream Theater for a review.... if you dare!!  lol). Now we're into full-on RUSH concert mode... hurry up August 22nd!  ;D

Well I've spent too much work time posting here this morning so I best be getting back to the grind.

Cheers!

Dave

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 02:27:30 AM »

Now we're into full-on RUSH concert mode... hurry up August 22nd!

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 04:02:04 AM »
I look forward to seeing you there Dave

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 14:47:34 PM »
WOW!! Someone responded to one of my "musings"!!

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 23:19:57 PM »
I could have sworn I woke up in jolly old London this morning: overcast, drizzle, fog and not particularly warm. In fact, I halfways expected to run into "The Letter R" on my way to the bus stop!!  ;)  ;D

We're expecting a steady diet of this "London" weather right through Sunday ("Cloudy with Showers - High 6-9")  ::) Well at least it beats snow.... this time of year I'd rather be "wet than white"!!  lol

Bring on the green grass, buds on the trees and warmer weather so I get re-open my pool.... God I miss swimming during the winter!  :( I also turn into a "fat guy" because of the lack of daily exercise. Hopefully by the end of July I'll be back in fighting trim at a healthier weight of 220 lbs. (no, I'm NOT going to tell you what I'm at now....  :-[)

Cheers!

Tubby

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2004, 19:44:50 PM »
There is much joy in Mecca today, celebrating the Juno Award for the RUSH in RIO DVD!!  8) A well deserved recognition of a fantastic concert experience and documentary. I tip my hockey helmet to all involved!!  ;D

On the down side, it was -6 degrees Celsius when I left the house this morning!!  :o  :( Today's high is only going to be +1. Thankfully, there's no snow in the forecast. This is not unusual for early April in Toronto. In fact, on April 7, 1977 the Toronto Blue Jays played their first ever major league baseball game at the old Exhibition Stadium in Toronto. This historic event coincided with a massive snowstorm.... however the game still went ahead, with snow covering the playing field and the seats packed to capacity. Luckily we now have the Skydome with its retractable roof, so weather conditions no longer are a factor.

The Stanley Cup Playoffs begin this week with my beloved Maple Leafs taking on their arch rivals the Ottawa Senators. It's going to be a long, nasty series..... I can't wait!!  ;D I think the Leafs have as good a chance as any to win the Cup this year, but the problem is that there are at least 6 other teams pretty much on par with them so there's no clear favourite.

If they DO win the Cup, there will be celebrations the likes of which Toronto has never seen before, not even when the Blue Jays won back to back World Series in 92 & 93. I'm quite certain that when they win the Cup, I will end up doing myself some serious bodily harm from the sheer joy of celebrating!!  8)

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2004, 18:54:32 PM »
Well, I'm back here at work for a rest.... literally. What an eventful weekend. In no particular order:

1. My Toronto Maple Leafs took a 3-2 series lead over Ottawa on Friday night and had a chance to win the series last night. The game went into double overtime (i.e. over 80 minutes playing time) when Ottawa scored to send the series to a seventh and deciding game here in Toronto tommorrow.  :'( Ottawa was the pick of many "experts" to win the Cup this year so the Leafs are in tough.... but they have 2 things Ottawa doesn't have: Excellent goaltending & a wealth of experienced veteran players who know what it takes to win the big game. My fingers are crossed already!  ;)

2. After 44 years of life, 28 of them playing guitar/bass on & off, yesterday was my performance debut. I've joined the church band and have been practising with them for a few months. My church is a VERY open, informal & non-dogmatic place. The "service" is not structured & rigid like the Anglican church I grew up in. There are no regular standard prayers, scripture readings, hymns, etc. It's very liberal and very much in tune with how people live their life NOW, not in the past. Anyways, the band plays about 6 or 7 worship "rock" songs to end every service and yours truly took his Stratocaster and played rythym guitar. It went much better than I'd feared, but it almost didn't happen.....

3. At the beginning of the service, a young man in the congregation went into a seizure. Needless to say, everyone was thrown for a loop and did their best to comfort him until the ambulance arrived. When they took him to the hospital, he said he felt fine and didn't want to go, but obviously tests were necessary to find out why it happened. He'd never had one before and it's likely he'll never have one again. Someone who works in the health care field told us that it's not uncommon for people in their late teens to have a one-time seizure due to hormones, growth spurts, etc. I don't know the young man but hopefully that'll be the case for him.

4. I bought a mountain bike with the idea to skip taking the bus to the commuter train during the good weather and biking it instead. After supper on Saturday, I rode to the station (mainly downhill - about 24 minutes) and back (mainly uphill - 27 minutes). By the way, I'm in dismal physical shape.... thank God there's 18 gears on this thing!! By the end of the ordeal, my knees wanted a divorce but my back (a long time trouble spot) was surprisingly decent. I'll be slowly working into a routine, starting with a couple of times a week until I can handle it full time. I figure that within 6 months, I will have saved enough $$ on bus fare to have paid off the bike.... AND I'll be in much better shape and hopefully a few pounds lighter!  ;D

No wonder why I feel so exhausted this morning! :(  ::)  lol

[size=8]GO LEAFS GO!![/size][/b]

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2004, 19:05:05 PM »
-

[size=8]GO LEAFS GO!![/size][/b]

I'll be rooting for them too Dave  :) Let us know the result.

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2004, 18:40:36 PM »
Ohh, there is much joy in Mecca this morning!!:

[size=8]THE LEAFS WON THEIR SERIES!![/size]  :D  8)

Now they face the Philadelphia Flyers in another best of 7 series. The Flyers have a big, tough team and it's expected this series will go the distance also.

It's no easy task to win the Stanley Cup. It is widely regarded as the most difficult league championship in all of professional sports. It requires 16 wins (4 wins in each of 4 rounds), with the possibility of playing 28 games (if each round goes to the 7 game limit). The teams play on average every other night, and if the game is tied after 3 periods, overtime is played until a goal is scored, no matter how long that may take. No wimpy "shoot-outs" here!  ;D If you've ever played hockey or seen it played "playoff" style, you'll soon come to understand that this is a monumental physical & mental task. The pace of the game, the body contact, the toughness that is required to win is at a much higher intensity level than that of the 82 game regular season.

Are the Leafs too old to make it the whole way? Can they overcome injuries to their captain & best player (Mats Sundin) and their power forward (Owen Nolan)? Time will tell but it's going to be one hell of a ride!!  8)

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2004, 18:47:47 PM »
Ohh, there is much joy in Mecca this morning!!:

[size=8]THE LEAFS WON THEIR SERIES!![/size]

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2004, 20:03:56 PM »
Two games into the Leafs-Flyers series and it's 2-0 Flyers.  :'( The Leafs actually should have won last night but ran into some hot goaltending..... now they know who other teams feel. Game 3 is in Toronto on Wednesday and it's no understatement to say that this is a "must win". Few teams have ever come back from a 3-0 series deficit to win 4 straight to win the series. I don't want to see the Leafs have to try.....  :(

I rode my new bike to & from the GO station on Friday instead of taking the bus. It was tiring but surprising good for my back. I cycled in this morning and hopefully it won't rain on my way home like they're forecasting. It'll probably take me a couple of weeks before I can do this 5 days straight but I'll get there. I does feel good to know that I'm doing something about getting into some sort of decent physical shape (as opposed to "round"  ::)  :P)

Brian, his friend and his friend's Dad are going to see "The Offspring" at a club in May. If it was in a concert hall I'd go too, but I've been to this club before and there's NO seating. The thoughts of standing for 2+ hours is a non starter for me, but I'm sure they'll have a great time. The Offspring is one of Brian's other fave groups, along with RUSH, Metallica & Dream Theater!!  8) That's my boy!  ;D

Time to get back to work..... I'll report back soon on the Leafs situation. Keep your fingers crossed!

Cheers,

DAVE

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2004, 18:41:21 PM »
Brian, his friend and his friend's Dad are going to see "The Offspring" at a club in May. If it was in a concert hall I'd go too, but I've been to this club before and there's NO seating. The thoughts of standing for 2+ hours is a non starter for me, but I'm sure they'll have a great time.

The Offspring play for 2hours plus :o :o No chance of that Dave - last time I saw them they played for just over an hour!!
Fingers crossed for The Leafs - keep us informed - I am sure you will  ;)

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2004, 19:08:38 PM »
The Offspring play for 2hours plus :o :o No chance of that Dave - last time I saw them they played for just over an hour!!

I neglected to mention that there are a couple of opening acts. However, with the amount of material The Offspring have now, I'd be shocked if they played as little as they did when you saw them. Brian will be bummed out if that's the case....  :-/

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2004, 18:31:42 PM »
[size=8]LEAFS 4 FLYERS 1!![/size] 8)

My boys stepped up last night and thumped the Flyers by outhitting them, outshooting them, outscoring them and outplaying them!  :D

The series is now 2-1 in favour of the Flyers but Game 4 is in Toronto on Friday night and the Leafs have a definite advantage going into the game. Last night's game was the best one they've played out of the 10 so far in the playoffs and hopefully they've realized that this is how they HAVE to play in order to continue on.

The bike riding to the GO station is going well if not tiring. I'm still on an every other day schedule until I get my legs. Hopefully the rain will hold off tommorrow so I can get in another ride.

I now have 2 performances with my church band under my belt so my confidence level is pretty good. It's a lot of fun and it makes me feel more a part of the congregation!  8)

Ta for now!  :)

Dave_Pierce

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2004, 20:36:49 PM »
Well my Leafs won Game 4 3-1 to tie the series.... but then got lambasted yesterday in Philadelphia 7-2!  :o  :'( The Flyers came out strong, the Leafs made a couple of bonehead mistakes to cough up the puck and before you knew it, it was 3-0 Flyers. By that point, they were relentless and the Leafs never recovered.

It's amazing how deflated a team can be because of stupid mistakes. If the other team scores just as a result of good play, that's one thing.... you can bounce back. But it you literally hand them the goals on a silver platter, your mindset is completely different and it's almost impossible to come back....  :(

Thank goodness it wasn't the deciding game. They play Game 6 in Toronto tommorrow night and I'm sure the Leafs are totally embarassed by their outing yesterday. I expect them to come out firing and take the game to the Flyers. I predict a Leafs win which will set the stage for a Game 7, winner take all game in Philly on Thursday. They better show up ready to play both nights or they'll be golfing real soon and the 37 year
Stanley Cup drought will become 38.

[size=8]GO LEAFS GO!![/size]