"Rush In Rio" - Reviews and Details

Started by Stewart, September 28, 2003, 22:14:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewart

September 28, 2003, 22:14:41 pm Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 22:42:11 pm by Stewart
Very shortly I'll be posting reviews of the DVD and CD versions of "Rush in Rio" but as some of you have been worried about some aspects of the release, here are some details...

1. The concert IS 171 minutes long, not the advertised 128.
2. The 5.1 Mix is VERY good. The omission of DTS isn't that big a deal really.
3. It's not 16:9 Widescreen, it's actually narrower, about 15% more.
4. Cygnus X-1 IS on the DVD.

Stay tuned for more later....

Micke.K

It sounds great....... :D :D

I can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

The Letter R

The first 38 min of it were TOP TOP stuff - well done for all concerned who sorted out that special World Premiere for the European Fans ;D ;D How high can the Rio crowd bounce to YYZ - Most excellent :)

Lee_Bool

September 29, 2003, 00:29:04 am #3 Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 00:29:35 am by Lee_Bool
QuoteThe first 38 min of it were TOP TOP stuff - well done for all concerned who sorted out that special World Premiere for the European Fans ;D ;D How high can the Rio crowd bounce to YYZ - Most excellent :)

And you could actually hear them singing along with YYZ!!

Craig Bayfield

And you could actually hear them singing along with YYZ!!

I heard that aswell. Notice that some of the crowd were taking the mick by bouncing during YYZ's version of YYZ (aswell as Superconducter because of the promo video... though I only noticed one person other than my good self swaying to the chorous =P)
I'm old enough not to care too much, about what you think of me.
But I'm young enough to remember the future, and the way things ought to be

Dave Brenchley

My overwhelming memory of those 37 mins is the camera shot from behind Neil, looking out through the drums over that enormous crowd leaping up and down to YYZ. As someone noted, why bother with Europe when you can go to South America and get that response......

The DVD is going to be very special I think.  8)
We're all here in celebration, this music's gonna make us strong....
www.davebrenchley.co.uk

masterbuilder

Quote... As someone noted, why bother with Europe when you can go to South America and get that response......
On the other hand, why bother with half-empty arenas in North America when we have a perfect 500 seater in my hometown:o
Gothenburg Concert House, May 23rd 1979, Row 8
Berlin Eissporthalle, April 27th 1992, Floor - no seats
Stockholm Globe Arena, September 29th 2004, Section CD, Floor - Row 16
Stockholm, Globe Arena, October 27th 2007, Sect

Craig Bayfield

Has anyone bragged about this on the American Rush forums yet? If not, please do, I want to read replies ^__^

If you have, where be the links people? I want to FEEL their envy =P

mwoody

yes it was nice to get a world first, i was very happy with what i saw. cheers to all who spent time and energy sorting out such a great day. to everyone who came up and said how well they enjoyed my vocal on subdivisions, cheers.
/;

Sean

Stew - can I just congratulate and thank you (and everybody else who helped organise it) for the wonderful achievement of getting the 37 minutes of the Rio DVD.  It was the icing on the cake of a wonderful day.

The sight of 60,000 people bobbing up and down to YYZ left me open-mouthed and stunned and - everyone around me looked like they felt the same way. :D

Please pass on our collective appreciation to the people that allowed the DVD to be shown (Pegi?)  

I for one have had my faith in Rush, and their attitude to Europe, completely restored.

[glb]TOP JOB EVERYONE!!![/glb]

Tom Garrett

from the piece we saw at the eucon,absolutely amazing.the rio crowd really know their rush and sure know how to party.
the jumping and humming to yyz was one of the most amazing things i"ve seen. 8)10 out of 10.and well done to all concerned for getting the sneak view. 8)
Don't argue with the ignorant and stupid; they'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Craig Bayfield

What impressed me about Rio was the editting. The sweeping shots of the fans with the band playing in the distance, like the one used for the cover (minus the CG dragon of course) and as mentioned, the shot from behind Neil TO the crowd.

One of the things that disappointed me about ASoH (I'm not going into ESL... I declared my hatred of that video to the Crewe Curry Crew and I do not intend to do so again) was the way it kept the crowd in the background. Half the fun of a live CD/VHS/DVD is the crowd, the atmosphere that goes with playing live. So once you see them Brazilians bouncing it feels a thousand times better than watching a Promo video and hearing them hum and "La-la-la-LA!" to it is a billion times better than listening to the studio version (depending on Rush's strength on the night, and as we all know they were on fire!)

Also the way you see the crowd screaming for Rush and the band striding on stage a...

This DVD will be more awesome than life itself. I can't WAIT to see Bravado and La Villa on this, heck I'd just like to see the rest of the show, no picking or mixing (though I was SO!!! close to seeing Bravado on that screen I could taste it...)

Roll on November 10th.

Marcel

Awesome to see these 37 minutes.
And what a performance of the Rio crowd,you could see they put 25 years of waiting in it,massive!!!
During YYZ i felt shivers down my spine when i saw the crowd jumping and actually singing during the song.
Thanks to those who made this teaser possible. ;)
"I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief,......You can call me faithless".

Craig Bayfield

QUESTION!

This just popped into my head and I sort of panicked when I did.

ASoH (VHS) had several songs cut out to avoid royalty payments etc. such as Time Stand Still (because of Ms. Mann) and Lock & Key (due to Last Mile)

Now I know that The Big Money uses a soundbite and possible footage (haven't seen any VCD's so I wouldn't know) from The Simpsons (more specifically the one where Bart won an Elephant  ;D)

Will this be included on the DVD? Or will they cut that small "outro" of the song, or was it pre-emptively dropped for that gig due to this issue?

Love to know as I LOVE TBM and when it openned for ASoH VHS when I first watched it I was rocking and swaying with Geddy/Alex all the way ^__^

Bman2112

September 29, 2003, 20:28:20 pm #14 Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 20:29:19 pm by Bman2112
OK I have a couple of questions...........

When the band takes the stage was it light or dark?

Is Tom Sawyer really a good opening song?

What's the lighting like?

Any drum stick throws?

And finally..........

Do we get a good showing of Alex's bald patch
Snakes n Arrows.