Glasgow Transport

Started by Alex_II, September 21, 2007, 23:39:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex_II

I've never been to the fair city of Glasgow before (in fact, I've never been to Scotland before which is a crime seeing as my father was born there), so I'd appreciate your advice.

What's the best method of getting from the airport to the SEC and back again. I arrive about 11:00 AM and my return flight leaves the next day around 9:00 AM and I'm staying in Argyll Street.

Thanks.

BaldiePete

The easy way is to get a taxi. Less expensive is a bus to Buchanan bus station
http://www.glasgowflyer.com/

That is very central. See this map
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=buchanan+bus+station&sll=55.865366,-4.252052&sspn=0.011487,0.039825&ie=UTF8&ll=55.861874,-4.25982&spn=0.011488,0.039825&z=15&iwloc=addr&om=1
You'll see Argyle St about 2/3 of the way down the map.

The Solid Rock where most people will be meeting is on Hope Street, at the side of the rail station (Central Station, NOT Queen St)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=solid+rock+cafe&sll=55.861874,-4.25982&sspn=0.011488,0.039825&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=1

The SECC is slightly to the west of these maps (follow Anderston Quay and Lancefield Quay).

Dixkot

To echo Pete.

The bus is the best bet.  You get the bus directly outside the terminal building and they run every 10 mins.  Journey, depending on traffic will take about 30 mins.  You'll see from Pete's linked map that the Solid Rock is on Hope St, near to it's junction with Argyll St.

raj

Does the bus not stop anywhere between the Airport and The Buchanan centre. I am also staying in Argyle St. which is not exactly beside the Buchanan Centre. I took a taxi to the City Inn 3 years ago, and tthe taxis I found were quite reasonably priced, considering they take you to wherever you want to go, as opposed to a bus, where it might not be the case.

Dixkot

September 22, 2007, 02:18:05 am #4 Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:18:40 am by Dixkot
QuoteDoes the bus not stop anywhere between the Airport and The Buchanan centre. I am also staying in Argyle St. which is not exactly beside the Buchanan Centre. I took a taxi to the City Inn 3 years ago, and tthe taxis I found were quite reasonably priced, considering they take you to wherever you want to go, as opposed to a bus, where it might not be the case.

Yeah, fair point.

To the best of my knowledge the bus is a direct service, Airport to Buchanan St.  Buchanan St is a good 15 min walk to Argyll Street.

A quick phone call just now, quoted me

Red Star

Why don't we all meet up in the Solid and share taxi's to the SECC?
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

stevie

i have used the bus from the airport a few times and it stopped  frequently through the city, at the designated bus stops, i suppose. i got off at close to pitt street  close to my hotel , in 2004. bus was only a couple of pounds.

Neph

QuoteWhy don't we all meet up in the Solid and share taxi's to the SECC?

And as Central Station is directly opposite the Solid getting a few taxis should not be a problem.

Pasc

I arrive at the Prestwick Airport (Ryanair). What is then the best option to get to the into town?

My hotel is near the Buchanan bus station.

cinderellamanr30

you can get a bus to glasgow from outside the airports doors.they run every half hour,it will take you to buchanan st, bus station in about 45,mins,passing through my hometown of kilmarnock,hopefully see you in the solid rock for a beer pasc.

BaldiePete

There is a train into Glasgow Central from the airport every half hour which will be a lot quicker than the bus. The Solid Rock is literally across the street from Central Station. Of course that doesn't help if you are going to have to go to your hotel first up near the bus station.  ::)

sjsbrfc

QuoteThere is a train into Glasgow Central from the airport every half hour which will be a lot quicker than the bus. The Solid Rock is literally across the street from Central Station. Of course that doesn't help if you are going to have to go to your hotel first up near the bus station.

From first to last. The peak is never passed. Something always fires the light that gets in your eyes

BaldiePete

Here is a map showing some of the places that people have been asking about. Assuming Ash hasn't changed the hotel.

BTW - there is a Indian a few yards up the road from the Solid that does an excellent buffet.

Pasc

QuoteThere is a train into Glasgow Central from the airport every half hour which will be a lot quicker than the bus. The Solid Rock is literally across the street from Central Station. Of course that doesn't help if you are going to have to go to your hotel first up near the bus station.