Power Windows - Album Discussion

Started by Nephronic, January 06, 2003, 06:35:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Analog RH

After the relative artistic failure of GUP, they had to raise their game for PoW - and they did - triumphantly, in my opinion.

Bloody hell, Slim. I find myself in agreement with you! That's GOTTA be a surprise!

Mark_Williams

January 24, 2003, 00:09:43 am #61 Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 00:10:25 am by Mark_Williams

Gasp!! :o

Compared to PoW, GUP sounds like the work of a moderately talented pub band - it's a bit limp, flat, uninspired, especially compared to its two predecessors.

Analog RH

But hey what do I know - I'm unusual

Mark_Williams

No - if you look anything like your avatar - you're bloody gorgeous  :o  ;D

Analog RH

QuoteNo - if you look anything like your avatar - you're bloody gorgeous

Slim

Don't agree. The only album where the guitar solos suck is VT, because it doesn't have any!

I do think that Lifeson lost his touch WRT lead guitar a few years ago.  He used to come up with some fantastic, expressive solos - The Big Money is a case in point - but I didn't notice anything distinctive or memorable on Presto, RTB, Counterparts or T4E.

To be clear, I'm not talking about his technical skill - I'm talking about the imagination and inspiration that goes into what he plays.

As a guitar player myself, albeit one unworthy to be mentioned in the same post ;D I reckon it might come from playing too much - I find that if I pick up a guitar when I haven't played it for a week or two I come up with interesting stuff, whereas if I've been playing regularly for a few days I tend to play proficient but unimaginative bollocks.  There's a point at which the guitar starts to play you instead of the other way round.

Slim

Bloody hell, Slim. I find myself in agreement with you! That's GOTTA be a surprise!

Actually I often find I agree with you Analog ..

Cheers
Slim Jim

Mark_Williams

Sorry to disappoint. I'm actually a fat, balding, bearded, glasses-wearing, hairy 31 year old male Rush fan.

Aren't we all - well apart from the age that is  ;D

Bman2112

Slim,

Your points on Alex's guitar solo's/playing is right on the mark for me.  PW had some brilliany guitar solo's.  Big Money and Grand Designs to name but two.  Since then, not a lot to report......Presto had very little, RTB's had a couple, sure Ghost of a Chance has a nice solo as did Bravado, but both weren't in the same class as anything on PW.

As for T4E and VT - oh dear, Alex got bored.......
Snakes n Arrows.

Mark_Williams

January 24, 2003, 00:25:31 am #69 Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 00:27:00 am by Mark_Williams

As a guitar player myself, albeit one unworthy to be mentioned in the same post ;D I reckon it might come from playing too much - I find that if I pick up a guitar when I haven't played it for a week or two I come up with interesting stuff, whereas if I've been playing regularly for a few days I tend to play proficient but unimaginative bollocks.

Bman2112

And before anyone goes mental - i said Alex got bored, NOT boring!!
Snakes n Arrows.

Mark_Williams

but his playing is boring on some tracks down the line

Slim

So would you say that Mr Lifeson perhaps overdid the preparation and maybe simply played too much guitar before recording some albums e.g. CP and VT?

I'm not talking about VT since he doesn't really solo on there, apparently because he thinks it's a 'dated approach' but I think it's possible with respect to CP, T4E, RTB, Presto - just a theory, a possibility.

Mark_Williams

January 24, 2003, 00:36:20 am #73 Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 00:37:47 am by Mark_Williams

I'm not talking about VT since he doesn't really solo on there, apparently because he thinks it's a 'dated approach' but I think it's possible with respect to CP, T4E, RTB, Presto - just a theory, a possibility.

yes re solos - you are quite right about VT - I suppose I was thinking, but didn't clarify, of the whole package.

However, as to your overall point -I find it very interesting - and I think to some extent with a lot of their material (maybe just songs here and there, or in some cases overall cds/ideas) - you may be right

Bman2112

Guy's,

Why don't you start a topic called,

Alex Lifeson and Guitar Solo's - what went wrong?
Snakes n Arrows.