Power Windows - Album Discussion

Started by Nephronic, January 06, 2003, 06:35:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Japes

Reg

Please - let's not jump the gun here.  I am just itching to rip into Counterparts and T4E, but I've got to wait.  ;)
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Analog RH

Reading through this thread, I can't help but feel half the correspondents here just want to wind people up! I may just be about to add to this....

Power Windows is a terrific rock album, a linchpin of 1980s Rush. As is HYF. Hard to believe it now but both were absolutely state of the art records when they were released. Indeed, Kerrang! magazine gave HYF KKKKK.

PW is NOT better than GUP, its in the same league. An album with Afterimage, Red Sector A and The Enemy Within is in my view equal to one with Big Money, Grand Designs and Marathon on it.

And all three of the aforementioned are better than Signals.

AND, as I will make plain next week, ALL of the above pale into insignificance compared with the masterpiece that is Presto.

Power Windows is one of those Rush albums I play A LOT. This is for two simple reasons: (a) its great, (b) its short. I agree with our previous correspondent that Emotion Detector and Mystic Rythms have waned in value as time has worn on, but I am forgiving in view of the fact that Big Money, Manhatten Project, Grand Design, Marathon and (in particular) Territories are so strong.

The production is immense. The performances are great. Unlike what others have said, I WOULD play this to people as an example of what the band can (and did) do.

From first to last..... an awesome record. If I'd give Presto a 10, Power Windows would get 8.5

Steve_Coupe

January 21, 2003, 18:02:33 pm #48 Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 18:03:07 pm by Steve_Coupe
Power Windows has always been one of my favourite Rush albums. For me, it has always been a far superior album to GUP and HYF.
Strong songs-notably Marathon, Manhattan Project, Territories and Mystic Rhythms- exciting production, a decent balance between keyboards and guitars but most importantly a real exuberance about the whole project. There's a real sense of fun, excitement and sheer enjoyment about the album that isn't, IMHO, present either GUP or HYF.

Slim

QuoteIf I'd give Presto a 10, Power Windows would get 8.5

You were doing great up to this bit lmao

Reg

And I'd give Samantha Janus at least 1.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Analog RH

If there is a finer looking bird than Sam Janus circa 1990 then I have yet to find her.

Slim

Lucy Liu is nicer (are we drifting off-topic?  It's Reg's fault ;D)

Dave_Pierce

QuoteAnd by the way - at one point in your post you seem to imply that it's not more sophisticated than the likes of GUP or CP - which, with all humility, I frankly find absurd.

To quote exactly what I said - "On the whole, Pow is a good album.... but it is certainly NOT superior to GUP. It's where RUSH started to lose some "balls", something they only started to recover from on Counterparts (more on that soon)."

Superior not more sophisticated. I have no arguement with PoW & HYF being more sophisticated...again it's just not a sound that suits my ears as well as the more powerful, dynamic harder progressive rock sound that came before these albums.

But to each their own. Don't get me wrong.. there's a lot of reallly good stuff on these two albums, but many songs are "watered down" with the excessive use of keyboards. My idea of keyboards complimenting the core RUSH sound are "Distant Early Warning" and "Lock & Key". They play a significant and wonderful embelishing role but do not take the lead in the songs.

Dave_Pierce

QuoteAND, as I will make plain next week, ALL of the above pale into insignificance compared with the masterpiece that is Presto.... If I'd give Presto a 10, Power Windows would get 8.5

You've GOT to be joking man!!!  :o Presto is a "10" if we're rating albums like golf scores... lowest is best.

I can't wait till next week to see the fur fly over Presto!!  ;D

tor

Power Windows is, along with Moving Pictures, the best album in the world. I don't have time to elaborate this right now, but let's just say this album is a perfect blend of emotion, expression, lyricism, musicality, cutting edge technology... and everything else you might find in there. A true winner that hasn't dated a bit over the 17 years since it's release. For the record, I looooove eighties' synths  ;)

Slim

To quote exactly what I said - "On the whole, Pow is a good album.... but it is certainly NOT superior to GUP. It's where RUSH started to lose some "balls", something they only started to recover from on Counterparts (more on that soon)."

Superior not more sophisticated. I have no argument with PoW & HYF being more sophisticated...

Also to quote exactly what you said:

QuoteJust because someone doesn't get off on swirling 80's sounding keyboard flourishes and electronic drums does NOT mean that it "goes over the heads" and that it's more "sophisticated".

Which does seem to imply that that you didn't consider it more sophisticated - I guess you had a change of heart.

Slim

Ian Harris

January 23, 2003, 23:26:34 pm #57 Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 23:31:45 pm by Ian_Harris
GUP is way cooler and more stylish than PoW. The drums are up, the guitars are powerful and bright and the whole thing kicks.

GUP is stronger and has more identity, somehow. Alex said the guitars came screaming to the fore and they did. PoW is the start of Rush's misbegotten attempt at sophistication and a more spaced, less spacious sound. The guitar solos started to suck more often from this PoW forward. Up to GUP, barely one was poor.

GUP apes U2, The Police, Peter Gabriel, even Killing Joke (Between the Wheels vs Love Like Blood!). By PoW, they're aping some rocked up Duran Duran, watered down Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

Territories rocks though! And the lyrics are great.
London, May 1987
Birmingham, May 1987
London, Apr 1992
Paris, May 1992
Sacramento, Feb 1994
San Francisco, Feb 1994
Raleigh, Jul 2002
London, Sep 2004
London, Sep 2004
Manchester, Sep 2004
London, Oct 2008
Birmingham, Oct 2008
Birmingham, May 2011
London, May 2011
Birmingham, 2013
London, 2013

Slim

QuoteGUP is way cooler and more stylish than PoW.

Gasp!! :o

Compared to PoW, GUP sounds like the work of a moderately talented pub band - it's a bit limp, flat, uninspired, especially compared to its two predecessors.  PoW is dramatically more stylish, accomplished, sophisticated and powerful.  Where GUP was generally pedestrian, PoW is majestic.

After the relative artistic failure of GUP, they had to raise their game for PoW - and they did - triumphantly, in my opinion.

Analog RH

The guitar solos started to suck more often from this PoW forward. Up to GUP, barely one was poor.

Don't agree. The only album where the guitar solos suck is VT, because it doesn't have any!

Have had GUP on in the car today and have - again - changed my view on it compares with Power Windows. GUP just isn't as good. Some of the production sounds SO dated: particularly The Enemy Within and The Body Electric. GUP in my view has just one 100% majestic moment, and that's Between The Wheels, wheras Power Windows has at least five.

Immediately after playing GUP I put on Presto, which is in a totally different league: a true classic (only 3 and a half days to go until my glowing post about THAT album......)