Nïckslïkk2112

Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

The Letter R

Slim

It's the one from the ATWAS cover of course, not sure if it had been replaced by June 1977. I vaguely remember that the kit I saw at my first gig had the Starman logo on the bass drums.

My ultimate Rush artefact would be the Les Paul Alex played on the 2112 tour and on ATWAS. Unfortunately I don't have space in the house for these drums.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Richard_2112

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

DavidL

Quote from: Richard_2112 on December 11, 2020, 01:28:04 amSold for $500,312!
I'm interested to speculate as to whether the buyer and/or those with a more informed opinion consider this to be an investment. With Rush being essentially a 'cult' phenomenon, I wonder what the thoughts are here as to whether NP's legacy will wax or wane (?)
It is surely an iconic instrument...but for Rush fans only?

Nick

Anyone know what it was bought for originally? Or was it won in a competition?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

The Letter R

Quote from: Nick on December 11, 2020, 19:49:49 pmAnyone know what it was bought for originally? Or was it won in a competition?
It was originally won in a Modern Drummer Competition but has been sold a couple of times since.
There is a great story on FB about the guy who ended up with it - he rebuilt it over a few years - the kit is a bit of a "Triggers Broom" in some respects as many bits of it are bought replacements and or refurbs as the last guy who bought it had a lot of work to do to bring it back to it's full glory and he was/is a mega Rush fan and collector who loved to display it for Rush fans at conventions etc.....
Obviously previous sellings of the kit were nowhere near this current figure.

Jonners

Quote from: DavidL on December 11, 2020, 01:59:14 amI'm interested to speculate as to whether the buyer and/or those with a more informed opinion consider this to be an investment. With Rush being essentially a 'cult' phenomenon, I wonder what the thoughts are here as to whether NP's legacy will wax or wane (?)
It is surely an iconic instrument...but for Rush fans only?
Good question, people still talk reverentially about the likes of Moon and Bonham, Buddy Rich, Ginger Baker etc, so I guess he will.
The modern masters like Minneman, Carey, Portnob, Gavin Harrison etc will refer back to them.

There are then a whole lot of drummers who have been exceptional and mold breaking like Dave Lombardo, Gene Hoglan, Mario Duplantier etc who have come from the more extreme side of music, who will get talked about in similar reverential terms in the future I reckon.

And then of course you will still have Zooners banging the "Peart was the best, everyone else is shit" drum, so the spirit will carry on (Only joking big man)
The new songs are an abomination

zoony

Quote from: Jonners on December 14, 2020, 10:09:32 amAnd then of course you will still have Zooners banging the "Peart was the best, everyone else is shit" drum, so the spirit will carry on (Only joking big man)
Yep, I will always bang on about him mate, but will grudgingly admit that I thought Buddy Rich was a slightly better drummer. He was the only one though. I really rate Stewart Copeland as well.

Matt2112

I've got to say, I was very much in the NP-is-the-best-I've-ever-seen camp, until the first time I saw footage of Buddy Rich, which took barely five minutes to completely change my mind.
The keys to happiness

Bisto

I had a very good school mate called Darren Branstone, his Dad loved the 50's and 60's American Swing, Big Band/Orchestra drummers and had a load of videos of Buddy Rich, Sandy Nelson and Gene Krupa...very impressive but not something I could listen to for pleasure.

He was a bit of a character was Darren's Dad; from what I remember of him, he was a career milkman, a very good amateur artist (most of the subject material was gory, Fangoria type horror vignettes) he was also a Teddy Boy, married and was divorced by a Glamorous American woman with whom he had two children; I remember he had a fascination for American muscle cars and kept several Ford Zephyrs, which had white walled tyres.... he spent a lot of his spare time fixing and polishing up the chrome... he also had a penchant for Nazi and WW2 history and memorabilia, he had tailors dummies; one with a full Waffen SS Officers Uniform on a complete with the lightning flashes and ceremonial dagger, the other with a powder blue Teddy Boys jacket....he.had a.glass.display cabinet with Military history books, several German campaign medals including an Iron Cross, an SS ring, in front of a full sized Swastica flag, he also owned and frequently played many recordings of Hitler's Rally speeches (he didn't speak a word of German.as far as I know) and was a fully paid up, card carrying member of the National Front.
Darren inherited his love of drumming, art and American muscle cars....and had many airfix WW2 Replica airplanes and tanks in his bedroom (as did I), he was also a drummer in a marching band for a while...there back on topic.......finally........kind of.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Nick

Drummers such as Harrison and Minneman are technically far better than NP. However NP knew how to put on a show and compose/serve the song as well as writing the lyrics. I enjoy them all in their own way. The only thing I don't like is bands with small drum kits.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.