Bisto

Quote from: zoony on May 17, 2020, 21:14:51 pmI have the 4 most recent ones;

War Is Over
New Day Rising
Nine Lives
Stars Aligned
"Prospect for escape" from the Nine Lives album is absolutely sublime imho
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

zoony

Quote from: Bisto on May 17, 2020, 21:48:29 pm"Prospect for escape" from the Nine Lives album is absolutely sublime imho
Yes mate, I like that one as well. I have revisited that album today. Some very good tracks on there, but also some forgettable ones.

Ricky4001

Accept - Metal Heart
AC/DC - Powerage
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Ashanti - Live At The Empire Music Hall
Sheryl Crow - Feels Like Home
Cry Of Love - Brother
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Georgia Satellites - Georgia Satellites
Manic Street Preachers - This Is My Truth ... Tell Me Yours
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Gary Moore - Corridors Of Power
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Rainbow - Rising
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Stiff Little Fingers - Nobody's Heroes
Thin Lizzy - Live And Dangerous
Thunder - Back Street Symphony
UFO - Strangers In The Night
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
Wembley 1988
Birmingham 1992 x2
Birmingham 2004
Manchester 2007
Dublin 2011 yay!
Birmingham 2013

pdw1

Quote from: Ricky4001 on May 21, 2020, 11:15:31 amAccept - Metal Heart
AC/DC - Powerage
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Cry Of Love - Brother
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Rainbow - Rising
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Some great choices there:
Cry of Love, Gary Moore, Queensryche, SRV all almost made my top 20
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Thenop

AC/DC - Powerage
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Cry Of Love - Brother
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Rainbow - Rising
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Some obvious ones there indeed. But Metal Heart? Over any of the brilliant proto speed metal classics they made? Interesting choice.
Arrogance Is Bliss

Bisto

May 21, 2020, 13:27:16 pm #65 Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 22:20:34 pm by Bisto
AC/DC - Powerage

Alice In Chains - Dirt
Cry Of Love - Brother
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Rainbow - Rising
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes

Blimey....Sheryl Crow, Ashanti and Stiff Little Fingers aside I could have put all of those in ONE😉 of my top 20 lists😎

I love early Genesis but I never could quite take to the Lamb for some reason.

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Ricky4001

Quote from: Thenop on May 21, 2020, 12:09:53 pmSome obvious ones there indeed. But Metal Heart? Over any of the brilliant proto speed metal classics they made? Interesting choice.
Yes, Restless & Wild and Balls To The Wall were both in contention.  Metal Heart pipped those mainly for the memories of the time.  1985 was a really good year for me and this was the 1st Accept album I bought on release.  Accept were the 2nd band I got to see live and to this day would be one of the greatest gigs I've attended.  Incidentally, Power Windows was the 1st Rush album I bought on release day and remains one of my favourites (the 1985-effect).

Some of my other choices are also related to particularly strong memories; Ashanti are a Belfast band I used to watch 2-3 times a month, the Sheryl Crow album is a great family sing-a-long on long car journeys, This Is My Truth was the 1st CD my (now) wife bought me and seeing them at Slane Castle on that tour was our first gig together, Stiff Little Fingers, another Belfast band and I used to play cover versions of a couple of their songs in a punk band many moons ago.
Wembley 1988
Birmingham 1992 x2
Birmingham 2004
Manchester 2007
Dublin 2011 yay!
Birmingham 2013

Bisto

May 22, 2020, 22:08:42 pm #67 Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 22:17:51 pm by Bisto
Quote from: pdw1 on May 15, 2020, 13:11:41 pmIn alphabetical order

Alice in Chains  Dirt
Anathema  Judgement
Asia          Aqua
Badlands  Badlands
The Black Crowes  Amorica
Celtic Frost  Into The Pandemonium
Stephan Eicher  Carcassonne
King's X  Dogman
Kyuss          Welcome to Sky Valley
Marillion  Marbles
Ian McNabb  Merseybeast
Metallica  Master of Puppets
Keb' Mo'  Keb' Mo'
Nine Inch Nails  The Fragile
Porcupine Tree  Deadwing
Realm          Endless War
Sacred Reich  The American Way
Temple of the Dog  Temple of the Dog
Train          My Private Nation
Trouble          Manic Frustration

I am not sure how I did that. Cutting it down from the top 40 was horrible
Those albums (in bold) would make another list of mine...we could have had a top 100...and even then it would have to be in no particular order for most of them.

Bisto

Quote from: zoony on May 17, 2020, 13:02:28 pmHave you seen them mate? Saw them at The Slade rooms in Wolverhampton on the War Is Over tour. They were very good.
Yes, saw them upstairs at the Islington Academy (the smaller of the 2 halls) with Jon Dahms a few years back...pretty shit venue imho...hardly more than 200 or so in the crowd...they tried their best but the atmosphere was flat and the setlist wasn't the best for me. Wish I'd seen them on previous tours.

Bisto

May 22, 2020, 22:33:39 pm #69 Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 23:00:13 pm by Bisto
Quote from: Thenop on May 14, 2020, 06:19:06 amSo, as expected this was a Kill your Darlings type of exercise. I have so much music I hold dear, even over the last few months I have discovered so much fantastic new music to listen to! I decided to return to albums I know will stick with me no matter what. I I had to put al least one Jazz album in there, and I chose Trane for a reason: the emotion. It is beautiful yet haunting, no one can play that sax the way he did. And the rest? Well, Kiss is an obvious choice, it was a toss up between Killers and TNotB and I cheated on Woven Hand. Even though Puppets is the better album, I love Justice so much, the near failed experiment, knotty and twisty, at times almost falling apart or collapsing into it's own pretentiousness, I really hold it dear.
The Dutch contribution (the Devil's Blood) is such an emotional album again. The melodies alone...oh my.

Then the subtle differences between lists I spoke of earlier: PT & SW mainly but Maiden as well. Just little things that make me choose a different album really.

Anyway, here it is, think of it what you will (in random order - I have killed so many darlings, I can no longer disappoint my artist friends by choosing one over the other...sorry!)
Many of the classics were left out...no Led Zeppelin, no Genesis, no Deep Purple, no The Who, no Black Sabbath, all bands I hold dear, but still they didn't make the cut.

Kiss - Alive!
The Devil's Blood - the Thousandfold Epicentre
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Steven Wilson - To the Bone
AC/DC - Back in Black
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Baroness - Purple
Faith no More - Angel Dust
Gov't Mule - Deja Voodoo
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Yes - Close to the Edge
Marillion - Marbles
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Motorpsycho - Let Them Eat Cake
Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Talk Talk -  the Colour of Spring
Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage

Woven Hand - (any album really, today perhaps) The Laughing Stalk
King Crimson - Red
Again, the highlighted albums could (or did) make one of my lists. Some of the others I've never heard (Jon Coltrane, Woven Hand and Government Mule) the rest I have blind spots over but I won't go into that again😄
I loved the Devil's Blood albums and was absolutely shocked at Selim's suicide...I remember him saying he felt he achieved everything he wanted to and there was no point continuing with the band but I thought he'd start a new project or even change careers rather than kill himself.

Bisto

Quote from: Jonners on May 13, 2020, 15:54:19 pmAnd here is mine, 1 per band, following the no Rush rule was hard, so I have included just 1, its a current top 20, and in no order,

1:Motorhead-No Sleep Til Hammersmith (permanent fixture)
2:Rush-Moving Pictures
3:Judas Priest-Defenders of the Faith
4: Insomnium-Winters Gate
5: Slayer-Reign in Blood
6: Iron Maiden-Powerslave
7: Pink Floyd-The Wall
8: Dio-The Last in Line
9: Megadeth-Peace Sells....
10:Marillion-Clutching at Straws
11:Sepultura-Chaos AD

12: Steven Wilson-HCE
13: Gojira-From Mars...
14:Thin Lizzy-Live/Life

15: Slipknot-Iowa (dont shoot me guys, its ace!)
16:Opeth-Roundhouse Tapes
17: Candlemass-Nightfall

18: Disillusion-The Liberation
19: Kreator-Extreme Agression
20: Alterbridge-Blackbird

Just tried to think of the albums i have listened to A LOT, and always go back to
Could have put all those highlighted in, even the Maiden one🤪😄

Bisto

Quote from: pxr5 on May 13, 2020, 13:53:09 pmNo Rush and one album from each artist. Numbered, but in no particular order:

01 Camel - Mirage
02 Black Sabbath - Paranoid
03 Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
04 Gentle Giant - Octopus
05 Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
(could be 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' on another day)
06 Bauhaus - The Sky's Gone Out
07 Can - Future Days
08 Iron Maiden - Killers
09 King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

10 Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
11 Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
12 Hawkwind - Quark, Strangeness and Charm
13 The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
14 Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere
15 Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
16 Premiata Forneria Marconi (aka PFM) - Per Un Amico
17 Alice Cooper - Killer
18 Radiohead - OK Computer

19 The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
20 The The - Infected

And hovering just outside my top 20 and, on another day, could be included:

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love, Tubeway Army - Tubeway Army, The Cure - All Mixed Up, The Cult - Love, Killing Joke - What's This For...!, Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom, ELP - Tarkus, The Blue Nile - A Walk Across The Rooftops, Tenacious D - Tenacious D, Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden, Lambchop - Nixon, Jethro Tull - A Passion Play, Japan - Tin Drum, Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasure Dome, Egg - The Polite Force, Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories), Hatfield and the North - Hatfield And The North, Marillion - Misplaced Childhood.
I could have chosen half of that list....nice to see Gentle Giant and PFM in there! 😎

Reg

I'm going to have a go at this, but people keep popping albums up and I go "oh shit!", not least of which Bisto with Badlands' Badlands. Good call. I had the enormous pleasure of seeing them live back in the day. 

Back to the drawing board.

2 which will definitely be there though are . . . .

Rainbow : Rising
Jefferson Starship : Freedom At Point Zero

Oh, and, of course, Tubeway Army : Replicas

Well that is 3!

I think I need to start a spreadsheet! I think I will treat it as a desert island discs. 20 albums that I could not do without. I think that will make it a bit easier actually.

I had a listen to Rising all the way through again this week actually. Just astonishing. Anyway, see you on the dark side.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

pdw1

Quote from: Reg on May 23, 2020, 00:39:14 amI'm going to have a go at this, but people keep popping albums up and I go "oh shit!", not least of which Bisto with Badlands' Badlands. Good call. I had the enormous pleasure of seeing them live back in the day.

I know he is hogging this thread but that was me not Bisto with Badlands. Good luck with the 20 and go on try the rush ballots too. You know you want to.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

zoony

Quote from: Reg on May 23, 2020, 00:39:14 amOh, and, of course, Tubeway Army : Replicas

I considered that one, Reg. The sublime Down In The Park aside though, it doesn't match Gary Numans The Pleasure Principle, which did make my list.