MusicRadar article

Started by Anna Woriboutchu, April 20, 2020, 13:00:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Woriboutchu

Slim

Interesting that the article identifies Fly By Night as being "Introduced by the lovely open chime of Lifeson's trusty Gibson ES-335". I know he played a Stratocaster on that album, and I think he's playing it there.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on June 16, 2020, 13:15:21 pmInteresting that the article identifies Fly By Night as being "Introduced by the lovely open chime of Lifeson's trusty Gibson ES-335". I know he played a Stratocaster on that album, and I think he's playing it there.
I didn't know that, I'd also have guessed it was the 335. It has got a hollow-body resonance to it

Slim

Well I thought I'd remembered that from an old magazine, but I found a piece here that contradicts my assertion there:

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19800600guitarplayer.htm

On the second album, Fly By Night, which guitars did you use?
Quote from: undefinedThat was mostly the 335 again and the tobacco Les Paul Standard. I played slide on the latter in "Making Memories." I also borrowed a Martin steel-string for some acoustic parts, but I can't remember the model.

But

Any changes in equipment for Caress Of Steel?
Quote from: undefinedI used the 335 on everything except "Lakeside Park," for which I rented a Fender Stratocaster.

So maybe that's where I got it from. Funny because I could swear it was Fly By Night in at least one interview. I wonder if he misremembered somewhere.

DavidL

On the subject of Alex's guitars, I was a fledgling hard rock fan when I picked up ATWAS (my first Rush album). The photos of Alex confirmed he was a bona-fide guitar god, although at that time (1978?) the flares and platforms struck me as a bit of a throwback. But the Les Paul was a guitar that was recognised as a 'proper' heavy rock instrument. 
The first time I saw him with the white 355, I was a bit gutted, tbh. I was desperately trying to sell the band to my hard rock- loving mates. I was already struggling due to Geddy's 'feminine' vocals but now the six-stringer was starting to look more like Bill Haley than Jimmy Page! Took me a long time to appreciate Alex's signature instrument and I was even quite pleased when he started playing  a Strat after Moving Pictures.

Slim

Well those photos on the ATWAS cover are from the 2112 tour. ATWAS was recorded in June 1976 and released later the same year.

I was already a big fan of Les Pauls by the time I saw ATWAS at the beginning of 1977 and I already had a Les Paul copy by then. I can remember the photo that cemented my lust for the Gibson Les Paul, it was a pic of Ziggy-era Bowie with a sunburst one. So I was very taken with those ATWAS photos on the packaging, and I especially liked that Alex had taken the scratchplate off, which I always think is a good look.

So I was also a bit disappointed at my first Rush gig, exactly a year after ATWAS was recorded, when he didn't play it. He used the 355 for the whole set apart from the pre-release version of Xanadu, when of course he played the double-neck.

I'm sure I saw him play a Strat at one of the City Hall gigs so that must have been before Moving Pictures - possibly the Hemispheres tour. But just for one or two tunes.

Richard_2112

Quote from: Slim on June 17, 2020, 10:25:05 amI especially liked that Alex had taken the scratchplate off, which I always think is a good look.
I hate Les Paul's with scratchplates. I always think they look really tacky. Whenever I get a Les Paul I always make sure it comes without cause the body always looks glorious.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

DavidL

Seems strange that Alex would remove the scratch plate from his LP given he was so into Jimmy Page (?)