YouTube Channels

Started by Slim, March 27, 2020, 16:07:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I watch a lot of YouTube - and I thought I'd share some of my favourite channels; perhaps others might do so as well.

I watched TV an awful lot as a kid, I must admit. Science and music documentaries were like audio-visual gold dust, and now you can rock up to your PC and watch an astronomy documentary, a rock concert recording or whatever else coincides with your interests whenever you fancy it. And a really nice thing about YouTube and other streaming platforms is that you can watch excelllent content created by enthusiastic amateurs, or people who might make a bit of money from YouTube but have day jobs as well.

One such channel is the excellent Trace Velo, presented by a guy called Luke who has a particular interest in testing relatively inexpensive Chinese bike parts. More later.

Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Slim

I suppose this should have gone in the DVD / Telly section. If a mod cares to move it, no problem.

Anyway here's another YouTube channel I'm fond of - a popular science magazine show called Answers With Joe. Joe has a separate, less popular channel that's an unscripted video blog, in which he just talks off the cuff, generally about his own life, or whatever's on his mind. I'll post one of those later.

Matt2112

I tend to watch commentators on the "culture war" quite a lot - too many to mention, as it's a real rabbit hole, of course - not just because some of them might provide a kind of comforting echo chamber of solidarity, but also because I'm curious about the view of those who may be a bit to the left of me or a bit to the right.  I just find it informative and interesting - more so than anything of that sort on regular TV.

When I'm up to date on the current zeitgeist, I'll unwind with some Van Halen live footage or something.  That extended appearance on the Jimmy Kimmel show on Hollywood Blvd from a few years back has Edward on absolutely scintillating form, so I probably watch that every few weeks.

Oh, almost forgot, there's a really great channel where this quite young guy explains the music theory behind well-known songs, and how and why it all works etc etc - he's very, very good at presenting it all in an accessible way.  I'll post the actual channel name later when I boot up the YouTube app on my telly.
The keys to happiness

Nick

I should know after all this time but how do you embed a video?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Reg

I don't watch much youtube these days, but there was a time when I was exploring coffee science, and this guy (James Hoffman) was great to watch.

Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Reg

More on coffee, and in my search to try and get to grips with latte art (I still haven't cracked it), I came across the amazing Dritan Alsela. Here's one of his videos:

Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Slim

Quote from: Nick on March 27, 2020, 17:38:19 pmI should know after all this time but how do you embed a video?

There is a YouTube button on the list above the post editor, along with bold, italic, underline etc - just invoke it and type the video URL into the little input field that comes up.

Slim

Quote from: Reg on March 27, 2020, 18:04:31 pmMore on coffee, and in my search to try and get to grips with latte art (I still haven't cracked it), I came across the amazing Dritan Alsela. Here's one of his videos:

One of my own oft-watched channels! I think I discovered it while doing research into the Aeropress, which has usurped my coffee machine as main coffee preparation method.

Slim

Wristwatches are a bit of a passion of mine, and this is a channel I've watched a lot recently. I must say I do find the guy's manner a bit irritating, but he does do good watch reviews and his video production values are excellent.

Not completely sure why he's so annoying, but it can't be his inherent Scottishness, because ..

Slim

.. this is one of the best channels on YouTube, presented by space / astronomy nerd Scott Manley.

Scott works for Apple, as a coder I believe - but has an educational background in computational physics and astronomy.

Slim

If you're interested in jazz guitar and are an intermediate (general) player, this one is very useful. Jens is a super player and explains things clearly.

rufus the dawg

March 27, 2020, 23:15:55 pm #11 Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 23:29:22 pm by rufus the dawg
I am still 15 in mind. so.....sorry slim I like a bit of George Benson or Pat Methany

Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

rufus the dawg

and I know my body is 46 because I can not do this....

Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

Matt2112

David Bennett Piano

That's the one.
The keys to happiness

Slim

Pete Pardo's 'Sea Of Tranquility' channel. I like this one a lot - no video editing or production - he doesn't even have an intro or titles - very simple and unpretentious; just a bloke who likes music talking about it. He does have guests on sometimes though.