This is Coronavirus- Do not panic!

Started by rufus the dawg, February 28, 2020, 20:23:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Woriboutchu

Quote from: captainkurtz on December 02, 2020, 09:20:34 amHow do people feel about being vaccinated?

I think my mum will be at the top of the list or very near it...although she only really has contact with me and one carer and never leaves home...I'd be slightly apprehensive about her getting it immediately.
I can't wait to be honest as I've had hardly any contact with anyone this year. Had a text this morning from an old pal and the thought of meeting up with him in a pub somewhere on Byres Rd seems akin to a lottery win to me just now.

dom

December 02, 2020, 17:58:11 pm #1531 Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 20:27:45 pm by döm
I see Dorries, Hancock and Redwood are all happily spouting lies saying that it's thanks to leaving the EU  that the UK was able to sanction the use of the vaccine so quickly. Completely untrue and debunked.  Johnson, to his credit, didn't back up their false claims
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

BasspedalMan

Quote from: döm on December 02, 2020, 17:58:11 pmI see Dorries, Hancock and Redwood are all happily spouting lies saying that it's thanks to leaving the EU  that the UK was able to sanction the use of the virus so quickly. Completely untrue and debunked.  Johnson, to his credit, didn't back up their false claims
These Brexiteer wankers are trying to polish up the Emperor's new clothes already as it has obviously turned into 'operation clusterfeck'........ Our local fishermen have all just realised just how buggered they will be in January. The smell of rotting fish in every port and on the M20 will be horrendous....
Ok, I'll join in...

1981 x 1
1983 x 4
1988 x 2
1992 x 2
1996 x 2
1997 x 5
2002 x 3
2004 x 7
2007 x 7
2011 x 3
2013 x 3

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on December 02, 2020, 12:13:48 pmNot really. First of all, the definition of a Scotch Egg is not enshrined in government policy. Someone asked Michael Gove a question and he gave a reasonable answer, based on your definition of what you get if you ask for a Scotch Egg in a pub. You'd probably get a Scotch egg, some salad, some chips and some bread. And that's fair enough. I doubt any pub would serve you with a solitary Scotch Egg on a teaplate.

Not the answer George Eustice gave initially and prior to that though, was it?

Him and Gove being on the same page might have been helpful.
The keys to happiness

zoony

Quote from: captainkurtz on December 02, 2020, 09:20:34 amHow do people feel about being vaccinated?

I think my mum will be at the top of the list or very near it...although she only really has contact with me and one carer and never leaves home...I'd be slightly apprehensive about her getting it immediately.
I'll have it, but I doubt it'll come around to my group, which is number 8 on the list, until around April or May. I declined a flu jab recently, as I now qualify for one being 55. Not worried about the flu to be honest.

Slim

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

pdw1

Quote from: zoony on December 02, 2020, 21:32:01 pmI'll have it, but I doubt it'll come around to my group, which is number 8 on the list, until around April or May. I declined a flu jab recently, as I now qualify for one being 55. Not worried about the flu to be honest.
You should be. Go look up how many die each year from flu
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

DavidL

December 02, 2020, 23:25:17 pm #1537 Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 23:30:25 pm by DavidL
Quote from: pdw1 on December 02, 2020, 22:30:48 pmYou should be. Go look up how many die each year from flu
On average around 11,000 per year over the last 5 years. The vast majority (around 80%) of deaths occur in those over 75 years of age. That's why, with no underlying health issues, I'm not too bothered about getting a flu jab which is usually only around 50% effective

Matt2112

Quote from: zoony on December 02, 2020, 21:32:01 pmI'll have it, but I doubt it'll come around to my group, which is number 8 on the list, until around April or May. I declined a flu jab recently, as I now qualify for one being 55. Not worried about the flu to be honest.
Rob, that surprises me given the tremendous efforts you've made to take care of your health.

If flu wasn't that bad we wouldn't need vaccines.  Getting a jab can be no more hassle than 10 minutes added to a supermarket shopping trip!  

If not for your peace of mind, would you consider getting one for everyone else's?
The keys to happiness

Matt2112

Quote from: DavidL on December 02, 2020, 23:25:17 pmOn average around 11,000 per year over the last 5 years. The vast majority (around 80%) of deaths occur in those over 75 years of age. That's why, with no underlying health issues, I'm not too bothered about getting a flu jab which is usually only around 50% effective
Not directing this specifically at you  David, but if a criterion for not taking the jab is "it's 50% effective", then surely that's actually an argument against not taking it, given the percentage drops to zero if you don't.  :-\ :)
The keys to happiness

DavidL

December 03, 2020, 01:19:04 am #1540 Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 01:48:20 am by DavidL
Quote from: Matt2112 on December 03, 2020, 00:09:08 amNot directing this specifically at you  David, but if a criterion for not taking the jab is "it's 50% effective", then surely that's actually an argument against not taking it, given the percentage drops to zero if you don't.  :-\ :)
Yes, that's true. The point I was trying to make is that the perception among many is that a flu jab will prevent you getting the flu. Obviously, if you're worried about flu then you would get better protection from taking it. Personally, I'm happy for nature to take its course and allow antibodies to be produced naturally. I've had flu a couple of times - nasty but not overly serious......in my case
I'm not an 'anti-vaxxer' by any means, in fact I had a flu jab for many years to help ensure my winter holiday was not ruined by illness (that's out of the window this year). I think vaccinations are great for serious disease prevention but, at my age, I don't consider flu or Covid come into that category.
I do however have reservations about the Pfizer (and Moderna) vaccine. This employs new technology, mRNA, that re-engineers your own cells. I know we've been assured that no shortcuts have been taken and it's safe but there, as yet, are no results for effects over the long term. Also Pfizer has been indemnified so will not be liable if something adverse comes to pass as a result of taking the vaccine. The government will stump up £120,000 to 'victims', that may be a paltry amount in some cases, if it causes serious harm. I'm not sure that everyone is aware of that.
It's all a calculated risk and at this point, I'm happy to wait a while. I'd be a little less concerned about the Oxford/ Astra Zeneca vaccine, tbh.

DavidL

Quote from: döm on December 02, 2020, 17:58:11 pmI see Dorries, Hancock and Redwood are all happily spouting lies saying that it's thanks to leaving the EU  that the UK was able to sanction the use of the vaccine so quickly. Completely untrue and debunked.  Johnson, to his credit, didn't back up their false claims
Really? I wonder why many EU ministers have criticised the safety aspect of the UK acting unilaterally to approve the vaccine so quickly?
What do you know that Dorries, Hancock or Redwood don't...or choose to ignore. Genuinely interested

DavidL

Slim

Quote from: döm on December 02, 2020, 17:58:11 pmI see Dorries, Hancock and Redwood are all happily spouting lies saying that it's thanks to leaving the EU  that the UK was able to sanction the use of the vaccine so quickly. Completely untrue and debunked.  Johnson, to his credit, didn't back up their false claims
Dom, your loathing of the United Kingdom really leads you to make some unfortunate remarks. They may have made a reasonable mistake based on the understanding of the situation, but they were not "spouting lies".

This must be a difficult time for you, with the United Kingdom very likely to be the first country in the world to be able to safeguard its citizens by means of vaccination.

Boris Johnson's UK, leading the world. That must be awful for you.

Slim

Quote from: BasspedalMan on December 02, 2020, 19:01:13 pmThese Brexiteer wankers are trying to polish up the Emperor's new clothes already as it has obviously turned into 'operation clusterfeck'........ Our local fishermen have all just realised just how buggered they will be in January. The smell of rotting fish in every port and on the M20 will be horrendous....

I think we'll revisit this in January. I suspect it may age less successfully than a fish, but we'll see.