This is Coronavirus- Do not panic!

Started by rufus the dawg, February 28, 2020, 20:23:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Slim - are you happy that the testing figures are being counted as double?  - 1 person nasal and oral swab = 2 tests according to the gov.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

May 22, 2020, 13:08:06 pm #766 Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 13:10:20 pm by DavidL
Quote from: Nick on May 22, 2020, 12:17:32 pmSlim - are you happy that the testing figures are being counted as double?  - 1 person nasal and oral swab = 2 tests according to the gov.
It's as if their goal is to destroy trust. If this is some cunning plan to prove their competence.........I'm struggling to see it.

DavidL

Quote from: döm on May 22, 2020, 08:49:41 amMore or Less on BBC Radio 4 did an excellent analysis of the daily testing figures put out by the Government.

Well worth a listen....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08dnd81
Comprehensively destroys the notion that the 'minister for missed targets' hit his "100,000 tests carried out per day by May 1st".

Nick

Quote from: DavidL on May 22, 2020, 13:40:56 pmComprehensively destroys the notion that the 'minister for missed targets' hit his "100,000 tests carried out per day by May 1st".
Boris promised 200k per day by the end of the month.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

Quote from: Nick on May 22, 2020, 15:52:47 pmBoris promised 200k per day by the end of the month.
No doubt that will be manipulated to indicate success too! Each nostril, perhaps! ;D

zoony

Quote from: Nick on May 21, 2020, 21:50:38 pmJust wait for the Brexit sh*t to hit the fan in a couple of months.
That won't kill anyone though.

Slim

Quote from: Nick on May 22, 2020, 12:17:32 pmSlim - are you happy that the testing figures are being counted as double?  - 1 person nasal and oral swab = 2 tests according to the gov.
You've actually described two tests, Nick. I'm glad that the government can count to two.

But if you think that the government has missed targets for testing, that's because it set extremely high targets. If it had set a target of (say) 50k tests per day then it would have smashed them, but that wouldn't mean that more people would have been tested, or that we'd be any further down the road to beating this virus.

I am happy, and pleased, that the government's performance on testing has been exceptional in the circumstances it has had to deal with - like the rest of its efforts in this godawful crisis.

Heard the BBC suggesting this morning, quite carefully, while avoiding spelling out its lie explicitly, that the government had ignored advice from SAGE on the timing of the lockdown. The actual truth of this is that the person whose opinion is being represented here was not a member of SAGE at the time, and I have no reason whatever to believe that the government disregarded or discounted any legitimate scientific advice, at any stage.

Anyway. Slightly disappointed with today's death toll figure, which brings the 7-day moving average down very modestly, from 346.86 to 342.14.

Have a good long weekend everyone.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Slim

Quote from: zoony on May 22, 2020, 18:23:37 pmThat won't kill anyone though.
Gutting that the Brexit dividend has been frittered away in an economic crisis, though.

Richard_2112

Laughing at the ignorance on display here. I've actually had one of these tests and you have to use the same cotton swab to do throat and nose which then goes into one test solution tube and it can't come back as a conclusive test if both areas haven't been done, ergo; it is one test with two components. If the government are counting both components to the test as one separate test then they are wilfully lying about the number of tests being done.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Richard_2112 on May 22, 2020, 21:59:17 pmLaughing at the ignorance on display here. I've actually had one of these tests and you have to use the same cotton swab to do throat and nose which then goes into one test solution tube and it can't come back as a conclusive test if both areas haven't been done, ergo; it is one test with two components. If the government are counting both components to the test as one separate test then they are wilfully lying about the number of tests being done.
But is that counted as two? Are you sure? Do you know that for certain? Are you sure that you aren't ignorant?
It appears that there are various types of swab tests

QuoteCurrent Public Health England guidance advises samples from the upper respiratory tract should be sought as EITHER:
  •         individual nose and throat swabs in separate collection tubes
  •         combined nose and throat swab in one collection tube containing universal transport medium
  •         single swab used for throat then nose
  •         nasopharyngeal aspirate
  • Some of which could count as two where there are separate swabs and then where a single swab is used for throat and nose that could count as singular.

The government, composed as it is of politicians - i.e. people who wouldn't know the truth if Big John Wayne socked them on the jaw with it - will play fast and loose with semantics,
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

captainkurtz

Surprised that Cummings has no one in the capital who can offer child care services.  Maybe no one wants to assist because he seems a bit of a c***?
Anger is a gift.

döm

Quote from: Slim on May 22, 2020, 18:35:56 pmYou've actually described two tests, Nick. I'm glad that the government can count to two.

But if you think that the government has missed targets for testing, that's because it set extremely high targets. If it had set a target of (say) 50k tests per day then it would have smashed them, but that wouldn't mean that more people would have been tested, or that we'd be any further down the road to beating this virus.

I am happy, and pleased, that the government's performance on testing has been exceptional in the circumstances it has had to deal with - like the rest of its efforts in this godawful crisis.

Heard the BBC suggesting this morning, quite carefully, while avoiding spelling out its lie explicitly, that the government had ignored advice from SAGE on the timing of the lockdown. The actual truth of this is that the person whose opinion is being represented here was not a member of SAGE at the time, and I have no reason whatever to believe that the government disregarded or discounted any legitimate scientific advice, at any stage.

Anyway. Slightly disappointed with today's death toll figure, which brings the 7-day moving average down very modestly, from 346.86 to 342.14.

Have a good long weekend everyone.
When you can make up the figures as you go along and decide that anything you like can count as testing, you can set whatever target you'd like and reach it. All very Big Brother.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Nïckslïkk2112

Nice to see Alastair Campbell calling the Government defence of Cummings  "utter hypocrisy". What's left of my brain has just imploded.

The trouble with the lockdown rules is that they are rules not laws.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Slim

May 23, 2020, 14:55:51 pm #778 Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 14:59:58 pm by Slim
Quote from: döm on May 23, 2020, 11:22:20 amWhen you can make up the figures as you go along and decide that anything you like can count as testing, you can set whatever target you'd like and reach it. All very Big Brother.
You'll continue to believe the interpretation that suits you best, I'm sure. But your "anything you like" caricature is demonstrable nonsense, so for the sake of your own self-respect I suggest that a little bit of flexibility and caution when you make these things up would help (imo). Would have another look through your own forum signature and give it a bit of thought. I don't know what the interest rate on porkies is at the moment.

Mixed feelings about Dominic Cummings. I do very much like and admire the man, and I profoundly respect and appreciate what he's done for our party and my country. I must admit that my judgement about his behaviour in this is informed by that.

A few thoughts, though - firstly while a strict interpretation of the lockdown rules might suggest that he broke them, as we explored at the very outset of this grim episode, there must be room for common sense and a recognition for particular circumstances, and in this case he decided that the welfare of his young child was at risk.

I see that No 10 has now issued a statement:

"Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for.

His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to but separate from his extended family in case their help was needed. His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside.

At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported. His actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines. Mr Cummings believes he behaved reasonably and legally"

I find that wholly satisfactory, myself. I bear in mind also that he isn't a government minister, nor even an MP - nor has he to the best of my knowledge broken any law.

Whether sanity will prevail and he'll survive though, I don't know. I can only hope so, not only in the interest of preserving the distinguished career of a very noble man, but more importantly in our national interest, and for our children's futures.

Absolutely despicable that the left-wing media and opposition are more interested in a bit of spite to make themselves feel a bit better for the righteous kicking that the British People wisely gave them in December, than the actual realities of the public health emergency we find ourselves in.

But as I've said before: the heroes in this like Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock will be remembered for a very long time.

And so will the villains.

captainkurtz

Might have been an idea him making a statement at the time, for surely he would have realised it would have been picked up by the media, no?

It does sound like a steaming pile of turd to me, though.
Anger is a gift.