This is Coronavirus- Do not panic!

Started by rufus the dawg, February 28, 2020, 20:23:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Quartly

Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Slim

March 27, 2020, 00:34:56 am #226 Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 00:37:51 am by Slim
Quote from: rufus the dawg on March 26, 2020, 21:12:51 pmOh dear. You are 100% wrong.

Chief scientific adviser says we doing Herd Immunity. 5 minutes in very clear.

I don't mind explaining this repeatedly so much in a way, because it's important - like Brexit. I think you're confusing the unavoidable with a deliberate strategy. The Health Secretary's statement on the matter could not have been clearer - it was not a goal, or a strategy, but ultimately I suspect most of us will get exposed to this and the ensuing general immunity will be important. I would watch the whole video.

The government's approach has been to act - proactively and reactively - on the very best, world-leading scientific advice at very step and to minimise the harm and fatalities. And I'm extremely glad and grateful that we have a government of this calibre in place at a time of such crisis.

But tennis with an opponent who picks the ball up from the back of the court then hits it back as if a point hasn't been scored is tiring and silly. Discussion is good but denial is pointless, especially in a crisis.

I was especially pleased to see the Deputy CMO explain the point about timing and effect during the press conference earlier, but as she said it I was shaking my head, knowing that many wouldn't be listening.

Bisto

Quote from: Slim on March 27, 2020, 00:34:56 amI was especially pleased to see the Deputy CMO explain the point about timing and effect during the press conference earlier, but as she said it I was shaking my head, knowing that many wouldn't be listening.
As you obviously see yourself as superior to everybody else, and so many of your interactions and observations, both here on tnms and in society in general, are apparently so unsatisfactory and disappointing to you, perhaps you would feel more comfortable taking your own self isolation to the next level for the next several months?
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

captainkurtz

Stressful time.  Probably a great idea to not be facetious and be a little respectful in your interactions with others on here - people don't need additional upset.

This isn't directed at anyone - just a common sense observation.
Anger is a gift.

Bez

It seems that Boris is infected.

i wonder how he got a test if he is only showing mild symptoms...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Slim

March 27, 2020, 14:13:17 pm #230 Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 14:15:56 pm by Slim
Quote from: Bisto on March 27, 2020, 09:56:05 amAs you obviously see yourself as superior to everybody else, and so many of your interactions and observations, both here on tnms and in society in general, are apparently so unsatisfactory and disappointing to you, perhaps you would feel more comfortable taking your own self isolation to the next level for the next several months?
Thanks for your suggestion, Andrew - you can be sure though that I'll be doing my sincere best for everyone concerned, in contributing to the public discourse. It's only a small minority of people who are determined to perpetually disappoint, of course - I always remember that. And by the way I wasn't specifically referring to anyone here; I was more thinking of the twerps who write for the Grauniad.

Hope you're coping OK! My own life hasn't changed all that much, to be fair. I'm fortunate in being accustomed to working from home, I don't go out that often except on a bike which I'm still able to do, fortunately. And I even cut my own hair.

I hope your own disappointment and dissatisfaction in reading another contribution to the thread from me haven't been too severe. I will admit that I lack humility and tact sometimes. Perhaps you might have a moment of self-reflection about your own posting style, as well.

Slim

Quote from: Bez on March 27, 2020, 13:36:47 pmIt seems that Boris is infected.

i wonder how he got a test if he is only showing mild symptoms...

Well - he is the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland at what is undoubtedly a time of crisis, so with all due humility I do think there's a decent case for being tested if he's showing the symptoms. Matt Hancock has tested positive as well.

That's what you get for leading from the front I guess. Difficult times, just that little bit more difficult now.

Slim

Meanwhile in Spain, 769 people have died as a result of the virus in the last 24 hours. Has Italy peaked?

This is a useful site, you can drill down on the stats for individual countries:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I wonder if the figures from China are genuine; encouraging if they are with only 5 new deaths over the last recorded 24 hr period.

döm

Quote from: Slim on March 27, 2020, 14:17:58 pmWell - he is the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland at what is undoubtedly a time of crisis, so with all due humility I do think there's a decent case for being tested if he's showing the symptoms. Matt Hancock has tested positive as well.

That's what you get for leading from the front I guess. Difficult times, just that little bit more difficult now.
I think the country will carry on fine without his 'leadership'.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Slim on March 27, 2020, 00:34:56 amThe government's approach has been to act - proactively and reactively - on the very best, world-leading scientific advice at very step and to minimise the harm and fatalities. And I'm extremely glad and grateful that we have a government of this calibre in place at a time of such crisis.

But tennis with an opponent who picks the ball up from the back of the court then hits it back as if a point hasn't been scored is tiring and silly. Discussion is good but denial is pointless, especially in a crisis.
The government have acted reactively and very late. They have changed track because the were proved wrong in there assumptions and criticised categorically throughout the world. Yes you are in denial about the facts. Because all you care about is supporting the Conservative party. Try thinking for yourself for once

Am I in denial? I think we all are until we get this virus. Boris Johnson was and is, that is why he is letting flights in to the country and why he did not close the borders back in January.. This would have made life difficult in this county in the short term but would have saved an awful lot of lives and probably saved £2 trillion. 

So the deliberate strategy of the government is to let CV19 in to the country, not close down schools fast enough and not stop public gathering fast enough and not to stop people going to work fast enough and let  the whole population get really infected and so more people will die. Or are they not doing Herd immunity. I am completely confused with what they are doing until BJ did the shut down.

Quoting a letting from the health minister published in the Telegraph is not proof. Enough said really.

I think you are a confused soul.  Because you think responding is silly you will not respond to this post!.Being of higher intersect and a way better person than me.
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

Chris Quartly

I thought the link I posted earlier was pretty damning but was ignored, what can you do!
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Chris Quartly

Credit where it's due though, despite the about-face and slow initial response, I've been surprised by the policies in the last week or so.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Chris Quartly on March 27, 2020, 15:26:36 pmI thought the link I posted earlier was pretty damning but was ignored, what can you do!
Here's what would happen: 80% of Americans would get the disease. 0.9% of them would die. Between 4 and 8 percent of all Americans over the age of 70 would die. 2.2 million Americans would die from the virus itself.

Slim

Quote from: rufus the dawg on March 27, 2020, 15:22:19 pmThe government have acted reactively and very late. They have changed track because the were proved wrong in there assumptions and criticised categorically throughout the world. Yes you are in denial about the facts. Because all you care about is supporting the Conservative party. Try thinking for yourself for once

They honestly haven't done any of the above, Rufus, and while it's never hard to find people eager to criticise a Conservative government at any cost - even off the backs of the sick and vulnerable in a health crisis apparently, and even when it is demonstrably acting on the very best scientific advice - there is nothing like a consensus, certainly not a world-wide one, to support your view except perhaps among left-leaning malcontents. If you imagine that you have provided anything in the way of proof to support your point, you are mistaken. What the Guardian and the other usual culprits have done is to find a set of contrary opinion, then blare them through a metaphorical loudhailer as if they were definitive and damning. They aren't. The government and its advisors attracted considerable admiration from the outset for its approach from experts in the field and you'll forgive me I'm sure .. or perhaps you won't, if I ascribe a bit more credibility and authority to their views than your own feelings on the matter.

Quote from: undefinedI think you are a confused soul.  Because you think responding is silly you will not respond to this post!.Being of higher intersect and a way better person than me.

I certainly had no intention of insulting your intersect, but here you go - I have responded to your post, despite your claiming in your customary matter-of-fact manner that I wouldn't. Perhaps a lesson there.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Chris Quartly on March 27, 2020, 15:26:36 pmI thought the link I posted earlier was pretty damning but was ignored, what can you do!
Americans make up 4.4% of the world's population. So if we simply extrapolate these numbers to the rest of the world -- now we're getting into really fuzzy estimates, so the margin of error is pretty great here -- this gives us 90 million deaths globally from COVID-19. That's 15 Holocausts. That's 1.5 times as many people as died in World War II, over 12 years. This would take 3-6 months.