This is Coronavirus- Do not panic!

Started by rufus the dawg, February 28, 2020, 20:23:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Because the media is 24/7 Coronavirus here are some thoughts.

My sister in law is a doctor in a hospital and sent this to me today. Hence some of information she says.

"Mortality rates are a bit higher than flu but not much and not nearly as bad as SARS - between 2-4% and about half of those are in people who are 85+ and diabetic, heart/lung disease etc.

The greatest impact is likely to be in cost of care and lost work days. This virus is canny! It has a long incubation period, doesn't kill and can produce asymptomatic/mild illness which means it can spread without us being fully aware of it. So globally we are going to have a lot of lost work days. 

Lots of workers sick means loss of other goods production. It has a lipid coat so detergent, bleach and alcohol will kill it, maybe survives up to 2 hours to 9 days (!) in the environment.

But, nobody likes to be unwell if they can help it!

It spreads by droplets - so direct spray from someone coughing/sneezing or touching something that someone has coughed/sneezed near.

So, scrupulous hand washing before eating/drinking/touching mouth, nose, eyes. Particularly after travel on public transport and being in crowded places. Carry antiseptic alcohol spray. Try to chose less busy times to travel and to avoid crowds. Clean glasses as well after travel etc with soap/alcohol. Shower when you get back home straight away.

I am likely to end up having to self-isolate for a few days at some point and with that and the economic effects, I am going to stock up on non-perishables - tea, coffee, tins, rice, pasta, cleaning stuff etc. It'll reduce time in supermarkets and also mean I can hunker down easily if necessary!

Hopefully all markets will bounce back. I do feel there is a lot of unnecessary early fear about. No doubt some folk are making a killing cash wise out of it! And the ones who own the media and can direct fear to suit themselves!
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

döm

When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

zoony

Slim

Quote from: rufus the dawg on February 28, 2020, 20:23:30 pmHopefully all markets will bounce back. I do feel there is a lot of unnecessary early fear about. No doubt some folk are making a killing cash wise out of it! And the ones who own the media and can direct fear to suit themselves!

Ah yes! Exactly like Brexit.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Slim on February 29, 2020, 22:32:52 pmAh yes! Exactly like Brexit.
Hopefully all markets will bounce back. I do feel there is a lot of unnecessary early fear about. No doubt some folk are making a killing cash wise out of it! And the ones who own the media and can direct fear to suit themselves!

Got brexit done slim always knows the facts.

Lets see
 70 billion of quantitative easing
3 years and still no plan
The pound fell of a cliff
Brexit has cost each house hold £400
reduced national British income by between 0.6% and 1.3%
Brexit reduced investment by businesses by approximately 6 % and caused an employment reduction by 1.5 %
Brexit has cost the uk £130 billion

The Letter R

Quote from: rufus the dawg on February 28, 2020, 20:23:30 pmalcohol will kill it
Good news - I am well stocked and preparing to self-medicate  :-)

zoony

Quote from: rufus the dawg on February 29, 2020, 22:48:01 pmLets see
 70 billion of quantitative easing
3 years and still no plan
The pound fell of a cliff
Brexit has cost each house hold £400
reduced national British income by between 0.6% and 1.3%
Brexit reduced investment by businesses by approximately 6 % and caused an employment reduction by 1.5 %
Brexit has cost the uk £130 billion
C'mon mate, we've already got a thread for these type of rantings...

rufus the dawg

Quote from: zoony on March 02, 2020, 12:34:28 pmC'mon mate, we've already got a thread for these type of rantings...
I know sorry, it is really annoys me when people change the subject in a thread and what they say needs addressing. So I did. ie....

Sorry again

Quote from: Slim on February 29, 2020, 22:32:52 pmAh yes! Exactly like Brexit.

Chris Quartly

New York just had its first confirmed case and we're travelling to Mexico City for a week on Saturday which now has a couple. As Rufus has noted, practicing good hygiene is the way to go, as it should be anyway, it has made me very conscious about how often I touch my face throughout a day! 

We're well stocked on non-perishable goods and cleaning materials, which seems sensible. Things we will use over time anyway but will get us through a couple of weeks in a worst-case scenario. Being prepared can only be good.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

The Letter R

You know it's serious when people start petitioning for the latest Bond film release to be postponed until the Summer.......

Matt2112

Quote from: The Letter R on March 03, 2020, 13:58:44 pmYou know it's serious when people start petitioning for the latest Bond film release to be postponed until the Summer.......
They should be petitioning for a far better theme song than Billie Eilish's atrocious effort.
The keys to happiness

Bez

Bez's Junior's school was shut for a day last week - they'd been on a skiing holiday to Italy and one of the kids had symptoms - it re-opened on Friday after the advice from the Government changed...

Here we've made some provision for an isolation, but nothing too exhaustive. If anyone needs a toilet roll drop me a line... :o
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

I'm just waiting for the first fecker at our place to phone in sick on a Friday or Saturday night to say they've got the symptoms...

Slim

Just heard that the Bond film release has been put back seven months after "careful consideration and thorough evaluation of the global theatrical marketplace". Was due out in about four weeks time, now that won't happen until November - that's a shame, I was looking forward to it.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Bez

Quote from: zoony on March 03, 2020, 15:51:01 pmI'm just waiting for the first fecker at our place to phone in sick on a Friday or Saturday night to say they've got the symptoms...
More likely now that there's sick pay for all.....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%