WALKING

Started by zoony, February 26, 2020, 23:56:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

Something we all do, but for me it has taken on a new meaning since my heart attack last March. When I went to the rehab sessions afterwards, they told me to aim for a walk at least 5 times a week where I get my heart rate up to a decent rate, and keep that going for at least 30 minutes. Well I've stuck to my guns, and go for 3 walks a day when I'm on my rest days, and still manage to do at least one when I'm on shift. I don't hang about either, and would call it power walking, even though some people may disagree with that! I downloaded the Strava app on Saturday evening, and now keep a record of my walking as I'm interested to see how much I actually do each month. I'm still enjoying though, and my dog Maple certainly isn't complaining, as she's usually by my side when I go 🙂.

Matt2112

Yep, walk the dog every day.  Good for the heart, good for the mind, good for the soul. :)

Looking forward to the longer, warmer days bumping into fellow dog-walking acquaintances down the local rec. I've even got to know some of the owners' names!  :D
The keys to happiness

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 27, 2020, 01:05:48 amYep, walk the dog every day.  Good for the heart, good for the mind, good for the soul. :)

Looking forward to the longer, warmer days bumping into fellow dog-walking acquaintances down the local rec. I've even got to know some of the owners' names!  :D
Haven't been able to get out in the countryside for a while though mate, everywhere is like a bog and a mud bath! Look forward to when it dries up so Maple can have a good run off the lead.

Nick

Great stuff Zoony, guilted me into a 20 min post meal walk tonight. Felt better for it, think I might try and do it on a regular basis. I don't have a dog so may take some in ear headphones.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

My smart watch encourages me to walk 10,000 steps every day and I generally get out for a half hour walk each lunch time to help ensure that target is reached. Enjoying it. Although looking at my watch now I still have to walk another 850 steps today to keep my streak going!
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Nick on February 27, 2020, 21:25:15 pmGreat stuff Zoony, guilted me into a 20 min post meal walk tonight. Felt better for it, think I might try and do it on a regular basis. I don't have a dog so may take some in ear headphones.
I walk the dogs every day for up to an hour and 99% of the time I come back feeling better. I'm not keen on very cold wind that hurts the jaw and Hail.
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

Nïckslïkk2112

I used to walk a lot, good walking country out in the Peaks. Then I grew up and got a car to make the world warmer :)

These days I struggle doing over 5 miles as my right knee starts playing up, luckily it doesn't impact on cycling and I find my phone tells me I do 10,000 steps on a ride - shows how bumpy local roads are!
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

zoony

Quote from: Nick on February 27, 2020, 21:25:15 pmGreat stuff Zoony, guilted me into a 20 min post meal walk tonight. Felt better for it, think I might try and do it on a regular basis. I don't have a dog so may take some in ear headphones.
Thanks mate. Personally, I think it does make a big difference when you have a dog to take. Maple loves to get out as well, and I'm more than happy to oblige her.

Chris Quartly

We split custody of the dog (usually month on / month off), definitely easier to get those 10,000 steps a day when we have him! There's a gym in our apartment building though so I've been using that a few times a week for a year or so, not the most fulfilling exercise in the world but now that it's more of a routine it just seems normal.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

zoony

First day of the month tomorrow then, so I'll be interested to see my figures at the end of it. Just for the record though, since I started using the Strava app last Saturday evening, I've been on 16 walks which have taken me 7hrs and 43 minutes, and I've covered 29.4 miles.

rufus the dawg

Have you been to Symonds yat or walked up Malvern hill zoony?
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

zoony

Quote from: rufus the dawg on February 29, 2020, 22:55:07 pmHave you been to Symonds yat or walked up Malvern hill zoony?
No mate, nothing like that yet, just walking round the village where I live. Will start getting out in the countryside when it dries up!

zoony

Quote from: zoony on March 01, 2020, 14:45:29 pmNo mate, nothing like that yet, just walking round the village where I live. Will start getting out in the countryside when it dries up!
Off out into the fields this afternoon to see what the conditions are like. Going with my mate Dean and his dog, Ledley, who is Maple's dad.

zoony

Quote from: zoony on March 02, 2020, 12:39:18 pmOff out into the fields this afternoon to see what the conditions are like. Going with my mate Dean and his dog, Ledley, who is Maple's dad.
Dean is stuck in Shrewsbury now, so will have to try at a later date.

BasspedalMan

I have been walking more of late but due to my office-based job I struggle to get over 6000 or 7000 steps a day. Been doing 10,000 - 15,000 on weekend forays but the cold weather plays havoc with my arthritic left knee sometimes. Looking forward to getting the bike out and covering some miles this summer.
Ok, I'll join in...

1981 x 1
1983 x 4
1988 x 2
1992 x 2
1996 x 2
1997 x 5
2002 x 3
2004 x 7
2007 x 7
2011 x 3
2013 x 3