SATNAV ADVICE

Started by zoony, February 13, 2020, 19:25:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

I've had a TomTom satnav now for several years, and still use it occasionally. As I'm not that up on technology, how do you go about updating them please?

rufus the dawg

Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

Bez

Quote from: zoony on February 13, 2020, 19:25:55 pmI've had a TomTom satnav now for several years, and still use it occasionally. As I'm not that up on technology, how do you go about updating them please?
If you bought it and registered it at the time you should be able to connect it to a PC and download updates direct....

Alternatives are Waze (as Rufus suggests) or Google Maps (my preference), on a smartphone... both of which give you re-routes based on current traffic....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Nïckslïkk2112

Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

zoony

Quote from: Bez on February 13, 2020, 23:52:56 pmIf you bought it and registered it at the time you should be able to connect it to a PC and download updates direct....

Alternatives are Waze (as Rufus suggests) or Google Maps (my preference), on a smartphone... both of which give you re-routes based on current traffic....
Can't remember if I registered it mate, been that long ago now! I have actually got the Waze app on my phone, but haven't used it yet. Need to get one of those phone holders for in my car first.

rufus the dawg

February 14, 2020, 19:59:23 pm #5 Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 23:52:41 pm by rufus the dawg
Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on February 14, 2020, 10:15:45 amGet a map.
maps take you straight in to traffic jams

Nïckslïkk2112

Maps don't suffer power failure.

I've used a Satnav once. It was shit.

Paper Technology Good, New Fangled Technology bad.

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

rufus the dawg

Yea
Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on February 15, 2020, 15:26:54 pmMaps don't suffer power failure.

I've used a Satnav once. It was shit.

Paper Technology Good, New Fangled Technology bad.
so would that be a 1860s ordance survey map? I had a paper road map once, I had to keep stopping to know where I was going and it did not have the M6 toll road on so I did not know I could circumnavigate the main M6.

Just wondering how you are managing to put posts up on TNMS by using paper? do you have a special pigeon that does it for you? just wondering. Does the pigeon fly the messages to stewart and he posts them for you? Just wondering

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: rufus the dawg on February 15, 2020, 18:17:25 pmYeaso would that be a 1860s ordance survey map? I had a paper road map once, I had to keep stopping to know where I was going and it did not have the M6 toll road on so I did not know I could circumnavigate the main M6.

Just wondering how you are managing to put posts up on TNMS by using paper? do you have a special pigeon that does it for you? just wondering. Does the pigeon fly the messages to stewart and he posts them for you? Just wondering
Horses for courses.
Maps are updated all the time. Roads do not appear that quickly - we aren't China yet - I knew about the M6 toll before I even possessed a road atlas with it included. I read about it on a piece of paper.

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on February 16, 2020, 15:58:22 pmHorses for courses.
Maps are updated all the time. Roads do not appear that quickly - we aren't China yet - I knew about the M6 toll before I even possessed a road atlas with it included. I read about it on a piece of paper.
what you keep buying up to date maps? costly; don't they fall apart? doesn't the spine break? aren't they used as trays for coffee which is spilt on them so you can not read them and isn't place you want to go is always on spine so is hard to read?

I think I will keep to WAZE its free and has up to date roads on and keeps me informed of traffic jams. You see all those people in the traffic jam they were using a map!!! hehehe

Slim

My old SatNav died a couple of months ago and since then I've just used my phone. I bought a dashboard mount for it (pokes out of the heater grille) and it turns out that Google Maps is actually a lot nicer to use for directions than my old dedicated SatNav. It does need a mobile broadband connection of course but it responds to live traffic / roadworks situations and of course the maps are always up to date.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.