Permanent Waves 40th anniversary edition.

Started by Nick, February 12, 2020, 19:50:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I see a new release is upcoming next month with the below bonus disc. Looks quite tasty..TSOR is already up on Spotify/Amazon etc.

1. Beneath, Between & Behind (Live in Manchester) 
2. By-Tor & The Snow Dog (Live in London)
3. Xanadu (Live in London)
4. The Spirit Of Radio (Live in Manchester) 
5. Natural Science (Live in Manchester) 
6. A Passage to Bangkok (Live in Manchester)
7. The Trees (Live in Manchester)
8. Cygnus X-1 (Live in London) 
9. Cygnus X-1 Book II (Live in London)
10. Closer To The Heart (Live in Manchester)
11. Jacob's Ladder (Live in Missouri) 
12. Freewill (Live in London)
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

pxr5

I was at one of the Permanent Waves nights at the Manchester Apollo in 1980 - might hear myself cheering lol

Thailand Express

February 13, 2020, 01:20:43 am #2 Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:46:20 am by Thailand Express
Another recreated cover...

You can now assemble a complete live setlist for the PW tour, if you buy 3 different CDs!

Bez

Agree that it looks good and I have to admit to being surprised that they haven't used the kiel Auditorium radio broadcast as the bonus material.

Just a bit underwhelmed that if they have this much audio sitting in a vault somewhere that they can't stretch to a full setlist over 2 discs... :-\

Will there be a 5.1 version? I'd pay for that!
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

DavidL

Quote from: Bez on February 13, 2020, 08:27:16 amAgree that it looks good and I have to admit to being surprised that they haven't used the kiel Auditorium radio broadcast as the bonus material.

Just a bit underwhelmed that if they have this much audio sitting in a vault somewhere that they can't stretch to a full setlist over 2 discs... :-\
That's my view too. I've already got a ver nice double vinyl of Kiel so I'm not interested in that. I'm not really into all this re-packaged stuff tbh but I saw a mate's Hemispheres 40th anniversary vinyl package the other day and it's quite nice. They changed the artwork inside the gatefold so it does not contain the lyrics. I didn't see a lyric sheet. Massive oversight if there isn't one.
Wouldn't pay full price for any of this though.

captainkurtz

Lifeson has commented that the master tapes have deteriorated to such a state they are unusable, so no 5.1.  Or something like that, anyway.
Anger is a gift.

Nick

I think he said the masters were at Trident studios in London who went bust and the tapes were lost. Shame as NS and JL in 5.1 would have been amazing.

captainkurtz

It's astonishing to me that something so valuable can just go missing...
Anger is a gift.

Slim

Interesting, that is a shame. Which means that there's no pristine quality remaster of the studio work then presumably, and I probably won't be shelling out. I like the cover. I wish they'd put as much care into the Hemispheres reissue as they have into the artwork of this one.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

26thApril

Should have been the full Glasgow gigs........

As regards the master tapes I have the Mobile Fidelity CD from 2007 which was remastered or mastered again if you like....also I think it suggests this is the 2015 download version which I didn't get at the time-so not sure what the source for that was.....
Glasgow Apollo '79 x 2
Glasgow Apollo '80 x 2
Deeside Leisure Centre '81
Wembley Arena'81
Ingleston'81
Ingleston'83
Glasgow SECC 2004
Glasgow SECC 2007
Glasgow SECC 2011
Glasgow SECC 2013

Thenop

Arrogance Is Bliss

Nick

The Letter R

May edition of Classic Rock has PW on the cover plus an article on the making of the album.
My copy also came with a Starman Sticker but not sure if that is a subscription only extra .....

captainkurtz

Quote from: The Letter R on April 01, 2020, 17:03:52 pmMay edition of Classic Rock has PW on the cover plus an article on the making of the album.
My copy also came with a Starman Sticker but not sure if that is a subscription only extra .....
Picked it up from Sainsburys....Sticker included....didn't find the article particularly illuminating or interesting, tbh...
Anger is a gift.

Stewart

I think release has been pushed even more, Amazon now saying "Pending release date" :(

Shall email Pegi to ask.