FLIGHT ADVICE

Started by zoony, February 07, 2020, 19:50:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

zoony

It looks like my best option for making my first visit to Scotland for this years RUSHFEST is to fly from Birmingham airport. Has anyone got any advice on if there is a best time to book your flights? IE, similar to it is usually 13 weeks before you go by train.

Bez

I think with flights it's as early as possible....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Matt2112

Quote from: Bez on February 07, 2020, 20:07:01 pmI think with flights it's as early as possible....
Definitely. 

Prices tend to inflate - sometimes massively - the closer the departure date gets.

I'm guessing Flybe operate that route so yes, the earlier it's booked the better.
The keys to happiness

Nick

Search for flights using the sky scanner website, seems to work well generally but I imagine with a direct flight from Birmingham to Scotland there will be little saving other than in the timing of the purchase. Going to the airline via  Topcashback may save you a few pennies depending on the airline. Paying with an Amex credit cash back card will give you a few more pennies.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 07, 2020, 20:17:22 pmDefinitely.

Prices tend to inflate - sometimes massively - the closer the departure date gets.

I'm guessing Flybe operate that route so yes, the earlier it's booked the better.
Yes mate, Flybe. When I looked yesterday, I could get a return for £88.

zoony


Matt2112

Quote from: zoony on February 07, 2020, 22:37:30 pmYes mate, Flybe. When I looked yesterday, I could get a return for £88.

I reckon anything under a ton is a fair price mate. :)
The keys to happiness

Bez

Agree with Matt....that'll be cheaper than the train and you'll have no problem getting a lift from one of the locals to / from the venue....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Matt2112

At the end of February, The Shaymen are away at Eastleigh, which is a 20 minute walk from Southampton Airport. There's a Flybe MAN-SOU flight arrives about midday. Nabbed it today for £32.54 :) 

Probably return by train.
The keys to happiness

zoony

Quote from: Bez on February 08, 2020, 23:26:04 pmAgree with Matt....that'll be cheaper than the train and you'll have no problem getting a lift from one of the locals to / from the venue....
Airport is about 8 miles from my Premier inn in the centre of Glasgow.

Bez

I'm sure there's a bus service from the airport to City Centre...a quick Google will help.

Most of the TNMSers live to the East of Glasgow and the airport is to the West
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

Quote from: Bez on February 10, 2020, 08:34:58 amI'm sure there's a bus service from the airport to City Centre...a quick Google will help.


Cheers mate, I will look out for that then.

zoony

Right, got myself sorted yesterday. Went on the Flybe website as they operate a service to Glasgow from Birmingham, and have got my flights booked for £75-60. Arrive at 10-05am on Friday, and return at 6-15pm Sunday. I've got to drive to the airport which is around 45 miles, but I've booked a spot on sometimes drive on the Just park app for the weekend for £8-80 all in. His house is 2 miles away, but there is a train station 2 minutes walk away that takes you straight to the airport. Most of the reviews on the app say that he does offer lifts to the airport as well for a few quid.

zoony

Quote from: zoony on February 10, 2020, 14:10:39 pmRight, got myself sorted yesterday. Went on the Flybe website as they operate a service to Glasgow from Birmingham, and have got my flights booked for £75-60. Arrive at 10-05am on Friday, and return at 6-15pm Sunday. I've got to drive to the airport which is around 45 miles, but I've booked a spot on sometimes drive on the Just park app for the weekend for £8-80 all in. His house is 2 miles away, but there is a train station 2 minutes walk away that takes you straight to the airport. Most of the reviews on the app say that he does offer lifts to the airport as well for a few quid.
feck, looks like I've got to make alternative arrangements then 😠.

Matt2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 09, 2020, 00:31:06 amAt the end of February, The Shaymen are away at Eastleigh, which is a 20 minute walk from Southampton Airport. There's a Flybe MAN-SOU flight arrives about midday. Nabbed it today for £32.54 :)

Probably return by train.
Guess what - because of the weather, the game was postponed!

Thankfully it was called off the night before, so no further expense incurred.
The keys to happiness