Tofu

Started by Nick, January 12, 2020, 14:35:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I'm new to Tofu cooking but in an attempt to reduce my meat consumption i'm giving it a go. Cooked a couple of meals so far (both too hot by far) as i understood Tofu generally absorbs the flavour that it is cooked in. I pressed the tofu for 30 mins before cooking to get rid of the water content and firm up the Tofu before cutting it into cubes and dropped it in a Chinese type meal. Thought it was very good and certainly came across well as a meat substitute, its also cheap. will pursue this as an avenue of 1 or 2 meals a week throughout 2020.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

I had Japanese and Chinese girlfriends in the '90s and '00s and they often cooked with it .. I was never a big fan though. Tried cooking with it myself during my vegan phase of 1991-1992 actually, come to think of it. Nothing adventurous. Probably sauteed with vegetables and curry powder.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Nick

Tofu curry tonight..gave it my best but missed the meat this time. Will keep persevering, maybe Asian approach next time.

pxr5

I can't stand the stuff myself. However, last week on Saturday Kitchen Live was a Chinese cook who used smoked tofu in the meal she prepared. May be try that if you fancy a change.

Nick

Yes I saw some smoked stuff on the same shelf in the supermarket, think that's my next trial.