Neil Peart RIP

Started by Chris Quartly, January 10, 2020, 22:20:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spookymoo

Not into celebrity culture but I have only cried twice when somebody famous passed away...the first was Robin Williams and the second was this week when Neil left us.....absolutely gutted.....How three guys can give you so much joy in your life, inspire you and give you so many amazing gigs that will never be repeated sadly.....Been in my life for 40 years....millions will miss the legend.....

26thApril

Searched and found this old post that was mainly about Neil from me.

In the days when I hung about trying to meet the band Peart was the one I met the most-in June 1980 on the Permanent Waves tour I met/saw him twice in Glasgow-when the situation was controlled he was very polite and nice-when it was a bit rowdy-like a small crush in the lane at the Apollo he was controlled but firm-indeed in the snapshot of a few minutes I saw pretty much all the personalties unfold-Lifeson escaped into the stage door as a few dozen fans chased their car down the lane-he laughed at his band mates and waved as the stage door closed-ever the joker-Peart got caught halfway and was forced to sign autographs as he made his way to the door-demanding space and proclaiming "we're not animals don't push" Geddy Lee took the diplomatic, cool stance-sat in the car with the window opened and took items and signed them-and then he just got out and walked in the stage door taking a few pats on the back and compliments as he went.

Peart the next day outside the Albany in Glasgow was polite and charming-laughing off jibes at his Talking Heads badge......I was dumb struck as others chatted to him, 16 and just wiped out by his presence-my favourite memory of that was as he entered into the hotel I watched him further-just me and maybe another guy-he got into the hotel lift and just as the doors went to close he gently waved-I think realising that the big skinny geek staring at him was in awe-that's the Peart I  like to remember.....the guy with the silver trainers.

On the next tour the ESL tour I waited behind to get autographs and saw Peart at his worst- I was a veteran of these signing sessions but I noted the guy in front of me was fumbling as he got to the table-they sat in line-Peart,Lee and Lifeson-you got one item signed-the guy for some reason presented Peart with pages from the programme that featured photos of only Lifeson and Lee......Peart snorted "That's not me..." and signed a photo of Geddy. That memory has stayed with me too.....how difficult was it to turn the page and sign one of himself? I've often thought his view was you know what I'm sitting here for ages and you can't even get the photograph right.

I feel a bit sorry for Peart and that this thing that has built up about him and the fans-I think he IS an intense and private guy-and yet he's the guy who's probably opened himself up more to the fans with his books and previously writing back to each fan individually-does he have another side? For sure but I often think he's a bit too honest.

Limelight the song I think was a reaction-to actually exposing himself too much to the fans-not only were Rush a tremendously hard working band with the length of tours they did but they stayed behind and signed autographs for probably hours night after night-that wasn't sustainable. I think they burnt themselves out and I think Peart made a decision to move away from that aspect. I don't for a second think he doesn't appreciate the support nor forgets who made him rich and put him where he is but he also drove that path himself with his talent and his effort-he's earned the right to make that choice.
Glasgow Apollo '79 x 2
Glasgow Apollo '80 x 2
Deeside Leisure Centre '81
Wembley Arena'81
Ingleston'81
Ingleston'83
Glasgow SECC 2004
Glasgow SECC 2007
Glasgow SECC 2011
Glasgow SECC 2013

Slim

Last night I was trawling the Internet for old Rush articles and came across this gem, which I remember reading from my copy of Sounds in the junior sixth common room a few weeks after I'd seen them on the first tour. Until last night I don't think I'd read this piece since I was a teenager.

I'm sure this was the first interview with Neil that I'd ever read. I was particularly pleased that he mentioned Newcastle as being one of the standout gigs of the tour.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19770716sounds.htm

Sad though it is, I can't say I've been upset by this news. I don't feel a personal sense of loss like others seem to have experienced but it does feel like an odd thing to process. Mostly in terms of who I was when I was a young person, and Rush was like a religion to me.

Thenop

Hudson music posted an on memoriam I find particularly moving. Very personal as well.

https://hudsonmusic.com/neil-peart/
Arrogance Is Bliss

Jonners

Im in the same boat as Slim, I am sad that an artist who I liked has passed away, and do feel very sorry for his family who has had more than their fair share of grief, but I am not grieving myself.  It reminds me a bit of when I see the highlights of the Oscars, and there is the section about stars who have passed away. Its a natural process in life that as you get older, more and more people you know/are aware of die. In the end, after a short period of sadness and reflection I personally tend to look back at their careers and smile/be nostalgic. 

What it has done is made me listen to some of their music again, and rediscover why for about 2 years of my life all I listened to was the mid section of their career, 79-88, and just how bloody good he/they were.

Thank you Neil
The new songs are an abomination

Straight Shooter

Quote from: 26thApril on January 13, 2020, 21:41:12 pmOn the next tour the ESL tour I waited behind to get autographs and saw Peart at his worst- I was a veteran of these signing sessions but I noted the guy in front of me was fumbling as he got to the table-they sat in line-Peart,Lee and Lifeson-you got one item signed-the guy for some reason presented Peart with pages from the programme that featured photos of only Lifeson and Lee......Peart snorted "That's not me..." and signed a photo of Geddy. That memory has stayed with me too.....how difficult was it to turn the page and sign one of himself? I've often thought his view was you know what I'm sitting here for ages and you can't even get the photograph right.
Our minibus was late in picking our group up, whilst most others had already headed off. Reckon there was only about 30 people all-told left there, when one of the crew walked down to the gates and gestured to us to go back inside and 'meet' the band. Aye, one item signed - my programme (since signed by Broon also!).
I seem to remember the guys were all cocooned in their fur coats, boots, hats etc. Pussies, I thought, I know it's cold up here but thought you guys were from Canada! ;D
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

zoony

I compete in our local quiz league, and the first round is always about current affairs of the last week. The second question last night was "Which legendary drummer passed away aged 67 last week?". Needless to say we were the only team who got it.

Tim W.

I'm another member who hasn't visited these pages for a long time... I am still shocked and saddened by the news; saddened primarily for his family and friends. I just wanted to say "hello" to you all I guess... I've met a few of you over the years. Good times...

26thApril

Quote from: Thenop on January 14, 2020, 08:39:58 amHudson music posted an on memoriam I find particularly moving. Very personal as well.

Some fantastic pieces in there thank you.
Glasgow Apollo '79 x 2
Glasgow Apollo '80 x 2
Deeside Leisure Centre '81
Wembley Arena'81
Ingleston'81
Ingleston'83
Glasgow SECC 2004
Glasgow SECC 2007
Glasgow SECC 2011
Glasgow SECC 2013

zoony

Quote from: Thenop on January 14, 2020, 08:39:58 amHudson music posted an on memoriam I find particularly moving. Very personal as well.

Some fantastic reading there. Thanks for that mate.

Alanrush

It has been over a week since the death of the great Neil Peart.
So sad.
May he rest in peace.
The Hudson music item was very moving so thanks for posting.

döm

Nice gesture by audible. All of his books (in audio form) are available for free of charge until Jan 28th.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Slim

That is rather nice, and although probably done for promotional reasons, the result is the same. I wonder who reads them?

OK I had a look. Brian Sutherland. Apart from the Clockwork Angels novel, which Neil reads himself! Great shame he didn't do any of the autobiographical ones.

Got them. Thanks for the heads up, Dom.

I don't imagine I'll find the necessary 80 or so hours to listen to them all, but I'll certainly dip in.

Nick

Great touch..downloaded, a few road trips ahead so perfect listening.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

captainkurtz

How do you download on audible?  I've downloaded the app, but it only seems to offer a sample?

Is audible not a subscription service?
Anger is a gift.