Jojo Rabbit

Started by Reg, January 10, 2020, 20:35:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Reg

Excellent.

My 3rd film of the year in the cinema so far, and at the moment it is the best I've seen.

The young actor (Roman Griffin Davis) who plays the 10 year old boy whose life we follow during the last months of the 2nd World War in Germany is terrific. And whilst I am talking about the 'child' actors, I will give a warm shout out to Archie Yates, who plays Jojo's best mate "Yorki". He's just ace, and their friendship reminded me somehow of some of my own 'best' friendships over the years.

Moving up in age we then get to Thomasin McKenzie who plays Elsa (late teens) who it turns out is hiding in Jojo's attic, being aided by Jojo's mother (Scarlett Johansson). Jojo, who at 10 is a staunch Nazi, (or believes he is through constant indoctrination) so much so that he has Adolf Hitler as an imaginary friend (played with great gusto by the film's director, Taika Waititi). Where was I? Oh yes, Jojo's discovery of said Jew Elsa in his house (and he has been taught to despise and fear Jews) and what happens next is the core of this delightful film.

When it comes to proper grown-up actors, Sam Rockwell as a German officer who has been side-lined into training activities due to losing an eye in the war, is a real breath of fresh air, and steals every scene he is in. An absolute delight to watch.

None of the above is a spoiler, and I will not spoil anything. The film is a triumph. It is funny, beautiful, tragic, uplifting and highly recommended.

I just realised that I didn't see a trailer for this; I went primarily due to Taika Waititi's work on Thor : Ragnarok, and reading a synopsis.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide