The Labour Party Leadership Election of 2020

Started by Slim, December 15, 2019, 11:17:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Quote from: DavidL on January 11, 2020, 22:57:39 pmKeir Starmer - totally in touch with Labour's working class roots!    ::)

Here's the thing though - the other contenders are out of touch with everyone and everything else!

That's why Starmer is currently 2/5 hot favourite.  ;)
The keys to happiness

rufus the dawg

The mail had a very interesting piece on long Bailey yesterday.

A very out of touch person.
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

zoony

Quote from: rufus the dawg on January 12, 2020, 11:44:54 amThe mail had a very interesting piece on long Bailey yesterday.

A very out of touch person.
I hear she's known as Rebecca wrong daily...

Slim

Quote from: Nick on January 05, 2020, 19:12:38 pmStarmer/Phillips would be the dream ticket I think. The likes of BJ/Raab couldn't hold a candle to them.
Seriously? It's very certainly the other way round, especially for poor, laughable Jess Phillips. I don't think she knows anything about politics, economics, foreign policy or anything else - it's just a sort of reality show to her, where she gets to rant her idiot opinions in the Commons like a moron airhead fishwife. She tries to make up for it with transparent dishonesty, famously including the time she claimed to personally have knocked on 25,000 doors during the six week 2017 election campaign (she also claimed that only 12 people she met during this extraordinary door-knock-athon wanted to discuss Brexit, but since that 25,000 figure is obviously total bollocks she's made up, perhaps that's not as significant).

Starmer is certainly a more credible character with a bit of gravitas and authority, but if you look at the factors that led to Labour's failure in the last election - betrayal of Brexit, a sense of Labour being under the control of a leftist metropolitan elite and of course the toxic character and lack of integrity of their leader - Starmer is strongly tainted by the first two.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Bez

The news this evening is saying that Thornberry & Lewis don't have enough endorsements from within the party to move on to the next stage...teehee
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

DavidL

Quote from: Bez on January 13, 2020, 00:40:23 amThe news this evening is saying that Thornberry & Lewis don't have enough endorsements from within the party to move on to the next stage...teehee
Thornberry seems to be a wretched woman, devoid of sympathy. Lewis hasn't made it because he's black....according to Lewis.

zoony

Quote from: Bez on January 13, 2020, 00:40:23 amThe news this evening is saying that Thornberry & Lewis don't have enough endorsements from within the party to move on to the next stage...teehee
No surprise there then.

Slim

So: Thornberry has scraped through and Lewis pulled out, allegedly because he knew he didn't have enough support. Has Lewis actually blamed racism for his failure? I would sort of expect him to, to be fair.

It's a shame because if he'd won, we could just have run this video in the campaign broadcasts for the next election

https://twitter.com/berniespofforth/status/1216622384381419520

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Slim on January 13, 2020, 18:58:10 pmHas Lewis actually blamed racism for his failure?
I hope so. The moron's not even black :)
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on January 13, 2020, 18:58:10 pmHas Lewis actually blamed racism for his failure? I would sort of expect him to, to be fair.
From an article on Politicshome site yesterday:

Mr Lewis - who on Sunday launched his manifesto for the leadership contest - has so far struggled to scoop up the 22 nominations needed to make it through to the next round of the contest.
The Labour MP, who is half-Grenadian, also urged his parliamentary colleagues to tackle "structural sexism" and "structural racism" in the party as he was pressed on the reason for his lack of support.
He said: "Do I think if you go to the PLP [Parliamentary Labour Party] and speak to the members they are overtly sexist? No, I don't, plus I don't believe they are overtly racist but these issues, these things run through our society."
Mr Lewis added: "I have never said that it is because of my colour that I am not being nominated by my parliamentary colleagues but what I was saying is if you want to understand why we haven't had a woman, why we haven't had a person of colour as leader of the Labour party then we have to look at the entirety of the issue which is that those structural issues do exist."

In other words he thinks it's, to quote Ali G -  "cos I is black". As Nick said, moron.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Slim on January 12, 2020, 20:03:52 pmStarmer is certainly a more credible character with a bit of gravitas and authority, but if you look at the factors that led to Labour's failure in the last election - betrayal of Brexit, a sense of Labour being under the control of a leftist metropolitan elite and of course the toxic character and lack of integrity of their leader - Starmer is strongly tainted by the first two.
umm, seems you sum up Starmer using generic Telegraph smears.

DavidL

Quote from: rufus the dawg on January 15, 2020, 10:28:09 amumm, seems you sum up Starmer using generic Telegraph smears.
Smear?? Those observations seem like facts to me.

rufus the dawg

Slim

Quote from: rufus the dawg on January 15, 2020, 10:28:09 amumm, seems you sum up Starmer using generic Telegraph smears.
I haven't read it recently, but I'm happy to hear that they're on message. I don't think those are smears.

Slim

Quote from: rufus the dawg on January 15, 2020, 23:54:12 pmNo lazy journalism.
I'm not a journalist. I am lazy from time to time. Believe it or not those are original thoughts! And if you've seen those observations elsewhere it's because they are manifestly obviously true.