Hols 2020

Started by Nick, November 27, 2019, 20:27:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pricey

cornwall for me tilly and spudley , next week in fact ;  then hopefully northumberland for a week end of november ...
I'm older than I wish to be

DavidL

Setting off on Saturday on another motorhome odyssey as an alternative to our usual Fuerte trip.
An overnight just outside Lincoln followed by Whitby, Hawes, Wharfedale, Buxton and finally Bakewell. Looking forward to two weeks of no work, even though it will be without the usual sunshine.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: DavidL on October 01, 2020, 23:59:10 pmSetting off on Saturday on another motorhome odyssey as an alternative to our usual Fuerte trip.
An overnight just outside Lincoln followed by Whitby, Hawes, Wharfedale, Buxton and finally Bakewell. Looking forward to two weeks of no work, even though it will be without the usual sunshine.
Just go for the puddings in Bakewell, not the tarts.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

DavidL

Quote from: DavidL on October 01, 2020, 23:59:10 pmSetting off on Saturday on another motorhome odyssey as an alternative to our usual Fuerte trip.
A46 Leicester to Lincoln - wonderful stretch of road

DavidL

October 16, 2020, 23:57:51 pm #34 Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 00:00:55 am by DavidL
So, our 2020 (alternative to Fuerteventura) road trip is nearing the end and we will be returning to Witney tomorrow.
It's been a fantastic trip and I doubt a week in Fuerte would have been any more enjoyable. Many highlights, beginning on the very first night at Langworth (just outside of Lincoln) where our TV viewing was saved after a lovely couple that ran the local pub (The George) managed to find us a couple of AAA batteries for our remote control (simple things..!). They gave us the warmest welcome and a lovely meal. A young couple just a few weeks into a new venture, they deserve all the luck in the world.
A few nights in Whitby next at York House touring park in Hawsker. First opportunity to get the bikes out and explore the Cinder Trail - a stretch of disused railway running from Scarborough to Whitby. We didn't get to do the whole stretch but managed the Hawsker to Whitby and then Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay and back to Hawsker (nice 30% gradient climb out of Robin Hood's Bay). Best pubs: Ship Inn (overlooking the harbour), Middle Earth and The Elsinore.
From Whitby we moved on to Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales. Enjoyable few days, highlight was the ride from Hawes to Aysgarth Falls and back. Unfortunately no off-road route, all on small back roads but weather was lovely and saw the Falls 'angry' after all the recent rain. Best pubs: The Board Inn, The Crown (very grumpy landlord). Great Indian meal in Vanjou.
From Hawes, we had one night just outside of Grassington. Didn't visit any hostelries there as my wife served up a superb gastronomic 'van tea' (pork in cider sauce, mashed potato and veg).
Next, it was down to the Peak District - Buxton. The day after we arrived, we took to the MTBs again and explored the Tissington Trail and National Cycle Network route 68. A great ride but mostly on the roads. Not our planned ride but found ourselves going in the wrong direction on the trail, away from Ashbourne rather than towards Ashbourne! Having completed around 25 miles, we alighted at The Parks Inn, Harpur Hill for a cracking roast and a few beers in the company of some very friendly locals. Buxton itself was a big disappointment. We found ourselves in town on Monday, which it turns out is a day when a lot of shops are closed (including a shop selling vinyl). We'd been recommended the food at The Old Sun but it was closed until evening so we ended up having a bowl of underwhelming soup at the King's Arms. We stayed for three nights but should've probably only done two.
A short drive down to Bakewell is where we finish our trip. We were due to leave this morning but were so charmed by the place that we extended our stay by one night. Our first ride was along the Monsal Trail towards Buxton (9 miles) and back. Excellent views and cracking pub called The Anglers Rest at Millers Dale. Resumed our return trip along the Monsal Trail but came off at Great Longstone. The Crispin was 40 min from closing for the afternoon but managed a pint. Very friendly landlord gave us a good steer for where to get an afternoon drink nearby. On his suggestion we climbed up out of Great Longstone to The Monsal Head Hotel. Looked virtually deserted but tucked around the side is a real gem of a bar, The Stables. Great little place with flagstone floors and a log burner. A frequent turnover of passing punters, mostly walkers. Great butternut squash soup!
Bakewell is a lovely little place with some decent pubs and places to eat. We were recommended to eat at a place called The Manners and it didn't disappoint. Having eaten there Tuesday, we were so impressed we returned last night! Best of the rest: The Joiners Arms, The Rutland Hotel, The Wheatsheaf, The Queens Arms and The Peacock.
We finished on a cycling high today. Enjoying a couple of pints in The Queens Arms yesterday, we got chatting to a 72 year old gent by the name of Jack who walks the area most days ( finishing with a pint of Wainwright in The Queens). We told him we were thinking of cycling to Matlock today and he told us a great route, mostly off-road. He also told us to call at The Square and Compass at Darley Bridge. It turned out to be the best ride of the trip. Took a few wrong turns on the way but found our way to Matlock and a great pub just outside of town, The Red Lion. Two pints of Matlock Blonde went down very well. Called in for a pint of Dizzy Blonde at the Square and Compass before returning along the off-road stretch from Rowsley to Bakewell (Parks Road and Coombs Road). Back in Bakewell, our first visit to The Peacock then back to the bar at Greenhills touring park. A very satisfying day with a little of everything, cycling-wise, including some fairly technical off-road stuff - great ride thanks to Jack (who we passed on the way to Matlock but unfortunately missed him at the pub!) - a great old fella whose passion for the outdoors has kept him from bothering a doctor for all the 12 years he's been in Bakewell since moving there to retire.
We've had a great trip with good food, plenty of ale and some great company. We have vowed to return to Bakewell, it's only 3 hours away so possibly for a long weekend at some point. Still plenty of riding and other stuff to be done here, not even been to Chatsworth yet.
Hopefully back home around midday tomorrow, work Monday.

DavidL

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on October 02, 2020, 14:08:55 pmJust go for the puddings in Bakewell, not the tarts.
I concur, the pud is better than the tart!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: DavidL on October 17, 2020, 20:31:03 pmI concur, the pud is better than the tart!
Can't stand either of them personally...

Glad you enjoyed the Peak District, living on its doorstep you can end up taking it for granted and I'd have thought one night was enough for Buxton...
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Slim

We were supposed to be going to Wales for a long weekend, but that's been thwarted for the third time, now. First by a lockdown, then by a fire at the hotel, now by a "short, sharp" national lockdown in Wales. I expect we'll go somewhere in Derbyshire or Norfolk instead. Derbyshire actually starts about four miles from here, so that's my preference really.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Bez

Quote from: Slim on October 19, 2020, 17:07:43 pmWe were supposed to be going to Wales for a long weekend, but that's been thwarted for the third time, now. First by a lockdown, then by a fire at the hotel, now by a "short, sharp" national lockdown in Wales. I expect we'll go somewhere in Derbyshire or Norfolk instead. Derbyshire actually starts about four miles from here, so that's my preference really.
Considered Suffolk, Slim?

Southwold, Aldebourgh, Dunwich, Orford all within the AONB....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%