Hols 2020

Started by Nick, November 27, 2019, 20:27:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 05, 2020, 22:08:32 pmThanks Patrick - I'll try to, in between "Covid-proofing" my rental property.  It's not all sun, beaches and Mythos, you know.  ::)
;)
How are things over there Matt - shops, bars open?  I know they performed a very hard and very quick lockdown in Greece and it seemed to be very effective.  Are they still reaping the benefits of that decision ?
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Matt2112

August 06, 2020, 23:18:00 pm #16 Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 23:48:40 pm by Matt2112
Quote from: döm on August 06, 2020, 15:15:40 pmHow are things over there Matt - shops, bars open?  I know they performed a very hard and very quick lockdown in Greece and it seemed to be very effective.  Are they still reaping the benefits of that decision ?
Large majority of shops and bars etc are open, yes.  I'm gathering that footfall is down significantly,  but no surprise for anyone on that score; certainly it was fairly quiet down the stretch of shops, bars etc we walked down this evening. That said, we dined at a restaurant in a great beach-side location tonight which I'd say was about at 80% capacity when we arrived, so it looks to me that business overall is "steady".

Chatting to folk here there's clearly a substantial proportion who have re-booked for Greece after having a holiday in Spain cancelled, so I'm guessing that will have a significantly positive impact.

I've been closely following the daily briefings from the Greek government and since flights from the U.K. resumed in mid-July, there has been no spikes identified in the usual tourist spots, however there is a concern over cases rising on the mainland in the biggest cities of Athens, Thessaloniki and Kavala, blamed on people - especially the younger generation - generally beginning to get complacent about the rules.

That said, random testing is in operation for international arrivals, and reports seem to match our experience that very few passengers are being swab-tested; a positive result means a 14-day quarantine, which would of course not only ruin your holiday but probably extend it rather inconveniently also...  However, the number testing positive daily out of the thousands of inbound travellers is literally in the teens, so you have to be extremely unfortunate to fall into that elite category...

In the meantime, my attempts at the language are going down remarkably well - major brownie points are gained from getting the "stresses" of words in the right place and the feedback has been hugely encouraging - so far!!  8) ;)
The keys to happiness

Bez

I'm due to be going to France / Belgium with Puds in early October (Battlefields)

Starting to look in doubt with the 14 day quarantien being introduced for belgium overnight
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

I've got no plans to go away anywhere until we've all had a vaccine.

Bez

Quote from: zoony on August 07, 2020, 10:15:50 amI've got no plans to go away anywhere until we've all had a vaccine.
Fully understand this. I was nervous before we went away a couple of weeks ago....

We deliberately went somewhere relatively "quiet" and made a conscious effort to self cater and stay away from crowds. It was great to get away and "see the sea" and just chill out with a book.

pdw1

Quote from: Bez on August 07, 2020, 10:12:01 amI'm due to be going to France / Belgium with Puds in early October (Battlefields)

Starting to look in doubt with the 14 day quarantien being introduced for belgium overnight
I an due to head for France in a week's time but worried about France being put into quarantine. Will be especially annoying for the kids who will miss the start of school if that happens.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Bez

Quote from: pdw1 on August 07, 2020, 11:49:14 amI an due to head for France in a week's time but worried about France being put into quarantine. Will be especially annoying for the kids who will miss the start of school if that happens.
How are their numbers? Rising?

pdw1

Quote from: Bez on August 07, 2020, 12:23:47 pmHow are their numbers? Rising?
Rising but not as bad as Spain or Belgium or even England but rising fast enough to be constantly mentioned in the press. I think Boris wants us to spend our holiday money here in the UK....

Matt2112

Quote from: zoony on August 07, 2020, 10:15:50 amI've got no plans to go away anywhere until we've all had a vaccine.
Like Bez I completely understand that mate.

I'll just say that I felt comfortable and reassured travelling to Greece, as protocols from airport to airport are the strictest outside of a hospital, and Greek islands' case numbers in particular are exceptionally low - plus the rules are as stringent as in the U.K., and in some instances, like bars (no dancing or even standing), even more so. I'm much, much safer here than in my local corner shop!
The keys to happiness

Paz2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on July 28, 2020, 14:27:39 pmAfter weeks of tracking the yo-yoing package prices for Kos and Rhodes, I've just booked us to Zakynthos, departing next week.

There's a surge of re-bookings to Greece after the mass cancellation of Spanish holidays, which of course is driving prices up, and I've just squeaked home a really great deal ex LBA with Jet2, after a few hours suspense while my booking went through a "pre-authorisation".

Getting a good price looks a bit of a bun fight at the moment, so I'm glad to have that weight off my mind.
managed to pick up two separate bargains we had a week in Rhodes (Pefkos) and shortly after a week in Skiathos (Troulos) whilst the islands were a lot quieter than normal it felt so much safer than over here at the moment. It was good for us to relax after the shit year we have had in 2020

colinbrown69

We're off to Turkey on Tuesday for a week, life goes on, loads of mask wearing, fine with me, I do it every day in work,

It is what it is, and whatever,

cheers, Colin
green man...................wembley 8th sep
prem lodge...................n.e.c 11th sept
moon under water.........m.e.n 12 sept
solid rock.....................s.e.c.c 14th sept

Suddenly - You were gone from all the lives you left your mark upon
I remember - How we talked and drank into the misty dawn
Ian

Matt2112

Quote from: colinbrown69 on September 25, 2020, 04:35:40 amWe're off to Turkey on Tuesday for a week, life goes on, loads of mask wearing, fine with me, I do it every day in work,

It is what it is, and whatever,

cheers, Colin
Great stuff, enjoy mate. :)
The keys to happiness

DavidL

We cancelled our trip to Fuerteventura a good while ago but not the flights with Ryanair. We had clung to the hope that they would be cancelled and a full refund would be forthcoming. Should have been flying on Saturday but looks like the flight goes ahead so we've changed our flights this evening.
Having already paid top dollar for seats that you could now get for £9.99, we've been stung for an additional £336. Not great but the alternative was to sit on our hands and throw £724 down the pan. So we now plan to go exactly a year later. 
Of course, we could well be in the same position in 12 months time.

Bez

Quote from: Bez on August 07, 2020, 10:12:01 amI'm due to be going to France / Belgium with Puds in early October (Battlefields)

We cancelled this a couple of weeks ago....should have been setting out on Thursday.

Insted I'm going to Banbury for the day to check out some English Civil War battlefeild sites (Edgehill & Cropredy Bridge) - much to the amusement of Mrs Bez who has taken to referring to me as "the Geek"

I may go to the Tank Museum in Wareham on Friday ;)

pdw1

Quote from: Bez on Yesterday at 08:46:16We cancelled this a couple of weeks ago....should have been setting out on Thursday.

Insted I'm going to Banbury for the day to check out some English Civil War battlefeild sites (Edgehill & Cropredy Bridge) - much to the amusement of Mrs Bez who has taken to referring to me as "the Geek"

I may go to the Tank Museum in Wareham on Friday ;)
Bovington is the place to go for tanks  ;)